Best M1A1 (AIM) SA proxy?

Gibsonm

Some initial field trials suggest that the M1A2 SEP with CITV disabled provides the best "proxy" for the variant M1A1 (AIM) SA we use in Australia.

However we don't have DU armour so I'm wondering if the M1A2 SEP protection model is "too good"?

Of course if the M1A2 SEP sans CITV is the best option, I'll have to request an Australian skin.

Thoughts / feedback?

Some initial field trials suggest that the M1A2 SEP with CITV disabled provides the best "proxy" for the variant M1A1 (AIM) SA we use in Australia.

However we don't have DU armour so I'm wondering if the M1A2 SEP protection model is "too good"?

Of course if the M1A2 SEP sans CITV is the best option, I'll have to request an Australian skin.

Thoughts / feedback?

Just a guess but try comparing the Australian Army's Abrams' combat weight, with the US

M1A2. that should give an indication.

Gibson, I always figured that the M1A1/HA would be as close as you could get?

Yes, it has DU armor, but it's modeled on the first generation DU armor. So let's assume that the Aussies replaced the DU they removed with something else, maybe ceramics, maybe tungsten, maybe vegemite, and call it good.

Or, if they didn't add anything, then the normal M1A1 should be good.

I know the electronics are different, but if you just hit F5...

Personally I'd love to see both a modern period US M1A1 series (New DU armor, stabilized commander's .50 with thermals) and an M1A1/AU.

Gibson, I always figured that the M1A1/HA would be as close as you could get?

Yes, it has DU armor, but it's modeled on the first generation DU armor. So let's assume that the Aussies replaced the DU they removed with something else, maybe ceramics, maybe tungsten, maybe vegemite, and call it good.

Yes, but using vegemite would give us an unfair advantage (it wouldn't be fair when playing MP for us to running around in a Super Tank)

I know the electronics are different, but if you just hit F5...

Personally I'd love to see both a modern period US M1A1 series (New DU armor, stabilized commander's .50 with thermals) and an M1A1/AU.

Well I'll leave the armour alone, I've tried to remain as vague as possible on that front.

However, the new sight and FBCB2 implementation leaves the HA a long way behind. :)

esp. as Marco keeps banging on about a challenge. :o

• Moderators

Thoughts / feedback?

Yes, we did some basic research here at one time, actually. I think your best proxy is actually going to be the M1A1 (not the HA variant) for protection because it is lacking dU. Now perhaps they added some additional non-dU protection to the M1A1 SA for export, but probably not -- doubtful, unless someone has a reliable source stating otherwise. But as I said, it was basic and not thorough research at the time, as we were just doing it "for fun". Anyway, obviously though the M1A1 is lacking the "SA" equipment, so it really is a question of what is more important in the proxy: the protection or the digital map panel in the interior...

It is certainly worth adding an actual thoroughly researched M1A1(SA) "one day" (wink wink). :debile2:

Yes, but using vegemite would give us an unfair advantage (it wouldn't be fair when playing MP for us to running around in a Super Tank)

Rumor has it that the vegemite armor isn't really as effective in the field as first thought.

Yes, applying a layer of vegemite to the inside of the armor makes it completely invulnerable to Sabot and HEAT rounds. However it was discovered that the vegemite itself is quite easily destroyed in a matter of minutes by hungry squaddie with a butter knife and some toast.

Rumor has it that the vegemite armor isn't really as effective in the field as first thought.

Yes, applying a layer of vegemite to the inside of the armor makes it completely invulnerable to Sabot and HEAT rounds. However it was discovered that the vegemite itself is quite easily destroyed in a matter of minutes by hungry squaddie with a butter knife and some toast.

And against all recommendations to avoid eating said vegemite, the hungry squaddie will obtain a third eye. (Timescale of its appearance is undetermined at this time.)

Unless one is concerned about historicity of units for a given mission (i.e. using T-80U is not correct for a 1982 based scenario, etc.) armor/shell performance of opposing sides can be balanced with various tank/ammo combinations.

So I'd say M1A2 would be the best proxy to approximate SA capability against fictional OPFOR.

Just played the M1A2(broken) as the proxy for the M1A1(AIM).....how good is it, It will do me for the time being :)

Yes, consensus of BG ANZAC appears to be that M1A2 SEP with 'Commander's sight' disabled is a better proxy for the M1A1 AIM SA than the M1A1 (HA). I think the slight advantage in armour protection and disadvantage of flex mounted .50 cal is outweighed by the benefits of the second generation FLIR with 50x zoom which is common to the A2 SEP and A1 AIM SA.

However it was discovered that the vegemite itself is quite easily destroyed in a matter of minutes by hungry squaddie with a butter knife and some toast.

They are know as Diggers not squaddie. :clin: