...jump to end if

Zipuli

If I recall correctly, this condition only work from the spawn point and not with any other waypoint.

I had similar trouble figuring out when working on a mission wich tried to "recycle" same units, but it turned out that functionality is very limited. I would call it a bug instead of a feature. ;)

[edit] forgot to answer your question in fully.

The 'jump' will work to the next waypoint. So you have spawn and waypoint. Jump to end if.. will jump to this assigned waypoint when condition is met. It will not jump to the last waypoint in the route!

Hope this helps.

hmm... so the unit must be set on spawn if to it to work? because now i have 4 units that are on the map (no spawn if...) and with 2 routes each and jump to end if... for both routes but they just drive to the next waypoint normally... d'oh!

Zip

Jump to end if works as stated when a unit spawns - which makes the most sense and is probably the most common use.

That said it will work also if a unit moves to a waypoint - I can't imagine why anyone would want to do that but there's lots of clever scenario designers out there and lots of clever ways to solve problems.

Ex: unit 3 moves from WP 4 to WP 5 which has 3 routes emanating from it. 2 are set to jump to end if for example unit 1 reached WP 6 and unit 2 reached WP 7 for another. The third could be just a normal route. I can imagine that using the example as described might be a way to insure AI formations comprised of multiple units stay aligned properly (would need some other conditions too to implement that).

The possibilities - though not endless - are numerous.

"That said it will work also if a unit moves to a waypoint "

-didn't get that to work... so I think it's spawn only

My idea was to jump units in the start of the mission to simulate the UAV flight delay (i.e. UAV fly-by 0700 and attack begins 0830, so units are seen say on a road by UAV but when mission begins they have assumed defensive positions somewhere near etc.).

But thanks for tips I'll see what I can do with it!

Zip

UAV works nicely, and gives the CO something to think about (analyze) before the mission. Only problem with UAV is that the FOV is very narrow... The rough intel works in a bit similar way but but then it's the computer that decides if there's a tank company or platoon etc. not the CO.

It sure would've been cool to make the units make a "time-jump" with jump to end... vs. what UAV video shows, but can't have it all ;)

Zip

• 3 weeks later...

Could anyone tell, what conditions have to be met exactly to have it workin'? I've been trying for hours to find any condition to have them "jump", they only move along the path, just as if there was no jump at all. Could it be, that with the latest update this feature fails? I used it before and it worked, but I recently wanted to set up some units that way, and it was frustrating.

• Members

Jump to end if... will be executed either when the unit gets spawned, or prior to the planning phase. E.g. if you just use a random variable, the jump condition gets evaluated and executed before the user even gets a chance to look at the map view.

The purpose of the jump feature is that you only have to create one unit that you can make appear in one out of n places, instead of having to create n units instead with their individual spawn conditions. The combination of Jump and Spawn creates the impression that the unit gets spawned in different locations when in fact it first gets spawned and then immediately transferred to the end of the Jump conditioned route before the rendering starts.

• Members

Once that the unit has been rendered for the first time - be it on the map screen, be it in the 3D environment - the jump command will get ignored and the unit must "move on foot" to the desired location.

The reasoning behind it was "fairness by design" - that the scenario designer, while having a very large degree of control over the action, could still not pull stunts that are at odds with the player's reasonable expectations. It's the same reason why in the classroom version the instructor cannot create new forces if he hasn't prepared to have them spawned, or change the scoring formula at runtime. We try to protect the players against unchecked despotism of mission designers and army instructors. ;)

• 9 months later...
Along the same line - it sure would be nice to be able to set embark if on routes created while actually in game.

Kinda like tellin' the 1st platoon leader go over there but only move to there if this happens.

Great point... would be especially helpful on recce missions.