High in-game ping

desertowl

For some reason I suddenly get a high ping in the game (about 500-600) but when I trace the IP outside the game I get much lower reading (170-200). it used to be like that in-game too, but suddenly it got worse.

my internet connection works fine and I have no other problems.

I'm clueless how to get to this problem - any idea would be welcome.

Moshe.

• Members

Spontaneously I'd totally rule out such a possibility. But I've seen too much weird shit in personal computing, man, weird shit I tell you! So, who knows. But still, I neither have an explanation nor a strategy to solve it.

• 2 weeks later...

well, I connected straight through the modem, and I've got the same results - very high ping.

I pinged the server from outside the game and I get good results... only inside the game environment the ping goes high.

I reinstalled the beta Ver., but to no avail... ideas anyone? it's getting hopeless!

Moshe.

• Administrators

Steel beasts has no control whatsoever over your ping.

I guess youd have to look at everything that your network data passes through. Check for antivirus software that has built in firewalls, etc etc.

Especially if your AV soft has heuristic scanning on by default for as many files/opportunities it can get its grubby mitts on... My single core processor has really started to struggle with recent antivirus applications and normal file I/O simultaneously, without even including trying to run real time physics and AI with 20+ FPS graphics as well.

(Semi-Seriously I wonder if my AV isn't worse than what it pretends it is protecting me from... and at least I don't have to pay to keep my malware updated :sonic:)