Getting AI to use indirect fire

Tread_Head57

I'm still pretty new at SB, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here. I created a scenario comprised of 5 Soviet T-72/BMP Companies assaulting an OBJ. Each Company had a CO CDR and FO vehicle. Thier routes are all "assault" routes. I also created another stationary company comprised of 2x BM-21's and 1x 2S1 and 2S3. My goal is for the AI to call for fire on their own when they ID NATO positions. I've tested the scenerio three times, and the AI fights well, but they never use their artillery support. On the second test, they almost broke through and probably would have if they used their arty. I know how to script artillery, but didn't want "canned" enemy arty where I would know exactly where/when it would come. How do I set it up so AI will call for fire on their own? Thanks.

• Members
Is that by design, or a bug?

By design, at least for the moment. The MLRS will saturate a comparatively huge area with fire, so its employment is a command decision. We haven't yet found an algorithm that allows computer-controlled units to make a reasonable decision when to swing the big hammer. You wouldn't want to waste such a fire mission on a petty target.

Mortars are somewhat the other extreme. Their firepower is comparatively low and fire support requests from computer-controlled units would quickly clog the artillery queue. We exempted them from these automated calls so that human players will always have at least mortar fire support available on relatively short notice ... which in a way is actually a good representation of fire support availability in real life as well (at the company level and below).

I'm referring to the 'Start if' function when placing an Arty call in the mission editor.

Say you want to 'script' a mortar attack by insurgents on a NATO base, you could create a condition based on the whereabouts of a RED mortar unit.

• Members
I'm referring to the 'Start if' function when placing an Arty call in the mission editor.

Say you want to 'script' a mortar attack by insurgents on a NATO base, you could create a condition based on the whereabouts of a RED mortar unit.

Well, yes, but the weapon effect in the target zone would still represent 155/152mm howitzer bombardment.

• Members
Along these lines, I am assuming you could make either mortars or rocket units fire using automated triggers...

I don't think so. So far we have reserved both for human players placing a call for fire where they can explicitly select which system should render the support. But I don't think that we added an option to let these units directly fire on a specific area. The call for fire must come from an observer, be it human or computer-controlled - and computer-controlled observers can only call howitzers right now.