Posting images on the forum

pkcav39

G'day, I have a request / suggestion / thought,

Would it be possible for those wanting to post images/screenshots to post smaller images and to include a link for larger/higher resolution images? (referring to image display size not the file size)

My reason for this is when reading a thread containing these oversized images it makes reading what people write in these posts a pain in the backside as you have to scroll left/right to read every sentence, it gets old very quickly and sometimes I just don't bother reading the rest of the thread if it contains lots of super large images because as I said its a PITA.

I'm not criticising, the images are great, it just makes reading written posts a lot harder.

This is a genuine idea hoping to promote discussion for a decision / gentleman's agreement on image posting ettiquette, so don't anyone take offense.

Edited by pkcav39
further clarification

• Members

Yeah especially the content wish list thread was becoming annoying with all these huge images getting in the way of the flames.. err, reasonable suggestions for future updates.

I'm not sure if the forum SW can enforce somethng like that.. or do auto-thumbnailing..

I haven't tried it myself as I'm lucky enough to have broadband ...

Broadband doesn't matter as its not how fast the image loads that's the issue.

The issue is those who don't (for whatever reason) scale their image before posting so you are stuck with an A3 image in a thread which "ruins" that page.

Edited by Gibsonm

Broadband doesn't matter as its not how fast the image loads that's the issue.

The issue is those who don't (for whatever reason) scale their image before posting so you are stuck with an A3 image in a thread with "ruins" that page.

Ahhh, you the ones that are LITERALLY too large rather than just a large file size.

Hmm, I don't have a good answer to that one unfortunately.

G'day, I have a request / suggestion / thought,

Would it be possible for those wanting to post images/screenshots to post smaller images and to include a link for larger/higher resolution images? (referring to image display size not the file size)

My reason for this is when reading a thread containing these oversized images it makes reading what people write in these posts a pain in the backside as you have to scroll left/right to read every sentence, it gets old very quickly and sometimes I just don't bother reading the rest of the thread if it contains lots of super large images because as I said its a PITA.

I'm not criticising, the images are great, it just makes reading written posts a lot harder.

This is a genuine idea hoping to promote discussion for a decision / gentleman's agreement on image posting ettiquette, so don't anyone take offense.

+1. Has been raised before but some people just don't seem to get it. Or perhaps don't know how to scale their images. Maybe a reminder on how to do it would be a good idea. (I don't know as I don't post images).

• Administrators

From a forum point of view, we can:

A. Turn off the image tag, preventing people from linking images inline with posts. All images would have to be uploaded and thumbnailed by the forums.

B. Ask people to respect others with posting images.

C. Go around and manually resize offending posts and mildly berate them for their transgressions.

From a forum point of view, we can:

A. Turn off the image tag, preventing people from linking images inline with posts. All images would have to be uploaded and thumbnailed by the forums.

B. Ask people to respect others with posting images.

C. Go around and manually resize offending posts and mildly berate them for their transgressions.

My vote would be for option 1, but whatever you consider best.

There's a simple image re-sizer mod available for vBulletin that automatically scales referenced [noparse]pic url[/noparse] images in threads, so the thread display doesn't get screwed up. A user simply clicks on the image to view it full size on his screen.

Link to vBulletin add-on..

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=237650

We've used it used it on our forums for the past 7 years ... (see pic)

Regards,

Doug

56e83cf555403_ScreenShot2013-10-15at7.55

56e83cf555403_ScreenShot2013-10-15at7.55

Edited by BadgerDog

JamesT73J could you give some examples of the types of problems you're reffering to?

BadgerDog's vBulletin mod sounds like the type of thing that's needed, but I also have no knowledge or experience with how it works.

With Sean's Options,

C. Wouldn't be fair to the forum moderators (because some posters would become lazy and leave the resizing to the forum moderators, if some one wants to post an image, they should post it properly to start with, but that's what we're not doing, hence the thread topic)

B. Can anyone really see asking nicely lasting for the long term?

A. While this might be considered harsh or disappointing by some, of the 3 choices, this would be a more realistic and perpetual solution, so this option gets my vote unless a better one comes along.

JamesT73J could you give some examples of the types of problems you're reffering to?

BadgerDog's vBulletin mod sounds like the type of thing that's needed, but I also have no knowledge or experience with how it works.

With Sean's Options,

C. Wouldn't be fair to the forum moderators (because some posters would become lazy and leave the resizing to the forum moderators, if some one wants to post an image, they should post it properly to start with, but that's what we're not doing, hence the thread topic)

B. Can anyone really see asking nicely lasting for the long term?

A. While this might be considered harsh or disappointing by some, of the 3 choices, this would be a more realistic and perpetual solution, so this option gets my vote unless a better one comes along.

+1

• 2 weeks later...