Best Way to Set-Up a Completely Autonomous Scenario

DLDC_Sims_guy

Actually, it is also used at the US Army's Maneuver Center, more specifically in the Captain's Career Course there. Here at CGSC, it is primarily used in our elective courses for Simulation Operations Officers (FA57). This is the first time a student has used it in support of a thesis. I'm hopeful that, if successful, it may be used by others in support of a tactics-themed project.

Well that is great, I am glad to hear it. I can see it really coming in handy at the CCC (sadly when I was on active duty the Armor school still was at Ft. Knox, so I'm sure lots has changed with the move).

I will say, doing the distance learning Reserve Component AOC this last year, I enjoyed the component that ran Decisive Action through DARRT(?). It was fun (to me anyway) trying to match templated and expected enemy units to what the sim was outputing for us. Kudos to you all.

Doug

I expect we (I'm the thesis committee chair) will be able to post the paper and the scenarios, or links to them, once it is completed - it has to be done by the middle of June. We jumped through a number of hoops to keep this thesis unclassified and unrestricted.

Thank you for that, Mr Sterrett and Curt

Best rgds, K

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

According to Appendix D, which the library appears to have inserted,

"For a copy of the Simulation DVD, contact the CARL Library Archive Department at (913) 758-3053 or email usarmy.leavenworth.tradoc.mbx.cgsc-carl-reference@mail.mil"

That *should* get you the terrain, scenario, and simulation run data files. If somebody has trouble getting those by that process, please let me know.

You can now download Major (apparently now LTC) Frykvall's thesis at:

http://cgsc.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p4013coll2/id/3131

The Steel Beasts files are not up; I will try to find an alternate means of posting those. (I know the library struggled with that issue.)

There is a minor error in the pdf.

The table relating to Offensive losses on p76 is referred in contents and text as Defensive.

The Defensive operation is on p87.

I'd say that at least Curt P. should signal his consent (even better if HE did it himself). After all, it seems to be mostly his creation. But maybe there are US Army regulations against it, I don't know.

I'll double-check with him, but it was explicitly done for the thesis (I guess I see it as sort of like contract work - you did it, but then somebody else owns it), and he was aware of the intent to post it and voiced no concerns. Curt does, quite properly, get thanked in the acknowledgements ("Mr. Curt Pangracs, also from the Simulation Division, was a key person in building and handling the computer simulation part in the thesis. Without his patient and excellent work with Steel Beasts Proâ„¢, the quantitative study in, Chapter 5, would have been impossible.")

• Members

I don't know the contractual details of this scenario's creation and the regulations WRT its distribution at Leavenworth. Therefore I think it's best if the author of this scenario would upload his work here at SteelBeasts.com (if necessary I'll be glad to assist). If Curt does it, we can safely assume that it is legally okay to host it here. It would simply remove a layer of doubt.

At eSim Games we make a living from our customers respecting copyright law. It would be dubious morality (and bad style) to apply a different standard to Curt's (or any other's) case.

• Members
I'll be glad to upload them. I should mention, though, that the scenarios were built using a version of SB Pro that may not have been available to others, so I don't know if it will work for others.

With the next official upgrade, they will. Until then, maybe not.