The T-62

Apocalypse 31

• Members
I asked Ssnake quite a while ago about any plan to add more relatively modern rounds (70s~80s, plus some non-Russian export rounds) and the answer was that there simply isn't enough data for performance estimation of those later rounds.

That isn't to say that the data doesn't exist; I just haven't found it yet on the usual suspects' web sites (Kotsch, Fofanov, TTK Ciar, ...); likewise, Jane's Ammunition Handbook is, as usual, very sparse with the kind of info that I am after. I'll be very happy to receive anything that helps me to add more 100mm and 115mm rounds than we currently have in SB Pro. If you know ballistic data and if you can give me reasonably credible sources, I'll be more than happy to add more types to the code. I might even show some gratitude beyond my blessings and a handshake. ;)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators
I think I found the bug. The game thinks the OF-11 round is HEAT. You can verify it yourself in the tank range mission briefing, it says:

30% BM-5 (1967), KE

50% OF-11 HEF-T (1960s), HEAT

20% BK-15M (1980s), Spec. A

In the tank range mission the game prefers BK-15M over OF-11 but in the single player mission I made I had older BK-4M ammo.

Ok, it seems to less a problem with the tank, and more an issue with the ammo itself. We will look into it...

• Moderators
Ok, it seems to less a problem with the tank, and more an issue with the ammo itself. We will look into it...

Aha, that didn't take long now that we knew where to look. The problem is behavior carried over from the T-72 -- the ammo types is being determined by the SLOT rather than by the type of round. To see what I mean, you can go into Mission Editor and, for slot 2 and 3 give BK-15M HEAT. Then go to test mode and look in the briefing, one of them will say HEAT, the other Spec.A even though they are the same round. Anyway, this should be straight forward to fix (I think)... :luxhello:

That isn't to say that the data doesn't exist; I just haven't found it yet on the usual suspects' web sites (Kotsch, Fofanov, TTK Ciar, ...); likewise, Jane's Ammunition Handbook is, as usual, very sparse with the kind of info that I am after. I'll be very happy to receive anything that helps me to add more 100mm and 115mm rounds than we currently have in SB Pro. If you know ballistic data and if you can give me reasonably credible sources, I'll be more than happy to add more types to the code. I might even show some gratitude beyond my blessings and a handshake. ;)

Can you aks ammunition manufacturers like MECAR for the information directly? For example I think FDF uses MECAR 100mm rounds for their upgraded T-55 tanks.

• Members

Emphasis mine:

If it can be found on the internet with a simple Google search, I probably have it. I'm not that lazy.

Maybe I could, but I somehow doubt that they will tell me more than what's already published in Jane's. And why would they, they have nothing to gain from it and eventually a fair bit of work.

Entire SB community would be grateful forever, that is something. :heu::cool3:

The best ballistics information I've seen in recent years has been coming out of the Russian archives by amateur historians ("wanabees" to put it politely). Specifically- CAMD RF (http://archive.mil.ru/), Central Archive of the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation. It stores documents of the Russian (before 1992 - Soviet) army from 1941 to the present. Among their collection are blueprints, proposals, testing reports, and other tank related documents. This place is probably your best bet to find what you are looking for, if you are ever near Podolsk with a lot of time on your hands.

In the meanwhile, I sent you an email..

The gun is pretty accurate, assuming the full target profile is available and the target is cooperating by not shooting back or moving to a hull down position, you can obtain reliable estimates against tank sized targets. It's a three step process, errors can start accumulating if you're not precise in each step, throwing off your accuracy. According to practice, ranging duties should be up to the tank commander anyway.

1. Obtain the range in the gunner's sight. In this example about 1600 meters.

1_zps7fd1dfb0.jpg

2. Based on the ammunition selected, in this case BM-4 APFSDS (the scale on the far left- "bP"), using the mouse wheel, adjust the horizontal range line until it's calibrated for 1600 meters for this ammunition. The sight will physically move like you see the T-72 sight jump when you lase a target.

2_zps59417cf1.jpg

3. Then you put the center carat on the target.

3_zps5a9b19d0.jpg

Again, any small errors occurring in any step tend to compound, even if you understand how the principle works. But I have hit targets past 2km with as long as the conditions were ideal like the practice range here.

Edited by Captain_Colossus