TrackIR

gunnyhighway

Actually......now that it's mentioned again, TiR use in all 'virtual cockpit' positions is actually pretty feasible and indeed desirable, ie the Commanders position (as always), and now 3D gunner positions, even unbuttoned driver positions.

Just to highlight the 3D gunner positions, it has real use in these new 3D models. It would actually be pretty awesome to be able to 'back off' from the sight and look around, especially to just look right and just use the mouse to make inputs on the control panels, look back to sight and click, ie the mouse wouldn't be used for both eye movement, then clicking to switch to 'switch flicking mode', then clicking somewhere to get back to 'eye movement mode' etc (which I always seem to get wrong in the heat of the moment)

Dare I mention 'The List' - even looooooooowwwww priority? :)

Actually......now that it's mentioned again, TiR use in all 'virtual cockpit' positions is actually pretty feasible and indeed desirable, ie the Commanders position (as always), and now 3D gunner positions, even unbuttoned driver positions.

Just to highlight the 3D gunner positions, it has real use in these new 3D models. It would actually be pretty awesome to be able to 'back off' from the sight and look around, especially to just look right and just use the mouse to make inputs on the control panels, look back to sight and click, ie the mouse wouldn't be used for both eye movement, then clicking to switch to 'switch flicking mode', then clicking somewhere to get back to 'eye movement mode' etc (which I always seem to get wrong in the heat of the moment)

Dare I mention 'The List' - even looooooooowwwww priority? :)

ARM jou bliksem :bigsmile:

Yeah look, I understand that it is a low priority, but for those of us that are minus a limb *cough* it really would be a great help. So as long as it doesn't fall off the end of the list...

:clin:

I've never been carsick, so I can't relate much to what that's like. I'm sure it's no fun.

The great thing about TrackIR support is it doesn't require nonadopters to use the hardware. If you're more comfortable looking around with your hand than your head, you can continue to do that.

In an earlier version -- not sure how far back but before 2.6x -- TrackIR's "mouse emulation" mode could be made to work with SB. But it was cumbersome and clunky and not easy to tune, so I quickly set it aside. But something with the introduction of the new 3D interiors got in the way of that, I think. I tried after 2.6x and couldn't make mouse emulation work anymore in SB. Works fine outside the sim, but not in.

:Crash:

ARM jou bliksem

Ek lewe nog steeds. Hello HT!

Well, IT IS on the list ... with a low priority. There's just so much more with a higher priority on it.

Thank you :) Just finished a marathon play through of a few old classic scenarios in V3, again highlighting how far this sim has come. TiR would definitely add to it all though, thanks.

• Members

I mean that as long as there aren't many instruments and you're looking through vision blocks that massively restrict your field of view, no matter how you look through them, the additional benefit of TrackIR is minimal.

It's a totally different issue when you're piloting an aircraft or a racing car with comparatively large field of view all around you. But as a driver of a tank you can't see much, period. As a gunner, you're not supposed to admire the turret interior but to look through the oculars and to make up for the severe tunnel vision by scanning the environment. Again, head movement plays next to no role.

Look, I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but don't look at the issue from the device's point of view. Look at it from a functional perspective. What does TrackIR add to each of these crew positions. The biggest gains are to be had in the commander's place because of the biggest field of view and the need to switch back and forth between buttoned up and unbuttoned state. You HAVE to look around all the time, and the design of your crew position actually allows to do so. That's what makes the commander's place so valuable, important, and unique.

TrackIR is great when you have to navigate your vehicle while tracking the movement of a threat/target. That's why it is so successful in dogfight simulations. It is almost as useful in a racing game. You have both hands the stick and throttle or at the steering wheel but you still need to look around and see what your opponents do. For mouse control you'd need a third hand which nobody has, or you rely on some more or less awkward and artificial automatic tracking mode. These are your prime reasons why TrackIR is very useful.

But tanks have a crew of many people, not just a single pilot. They restrict view by necessity. The driver does not regularly track a competitor. You're not racing against other drivers, you're racing against projectiles fired by large caliber guns in order to kill you. Your primary concern is not to stay in the lead but to stay alive, and therefore to stay out of sight of the enemy. There's just a lot less looking around.

Track IR is useful in any circumstance where you can look around in a 3-D environment. Those circumstances are multiplying in SB.

Personally, I play almost exclusively from the TC position. So the inability to intuitively look around is sorely missed -- every time I play a mission.

But mostly, it's an issue of utility.

I play with a mapped HOTAS, plus voice software for commanding my virtual crew/platoon. I either press a button myself or order someone else to do it. But the joystick sucks sweaty donkey balls as a view system, so I must take my hand away from the stick (depriving me of any functions theremapped) anytime I need to look around.

SB's view system is geared to players who use the mouse and keyboard.

I've been drinking radioactive sewer sludge in hopes of growing a third arm from my chest so I can simultaneously use the mouse for views. But then I thought: Wouldn't turning my head be a better way to ... turn my head?

Furthermore, I don't think Track IR's value is limited to the TC position. The need to turn away from the sight to enter manual range in the M1 is a prime example. (Perhaps the F1 view from the gunner's seat could be reprogrammed to a default look at the keypad, so one could switch between views with keystrokes? -- kind of like looking at the bubble level in the M2?)

Plus, driving unbuttoned or driving some of the wheeled vehicles (humvee, eagle, trucks, etc) would benefit from a hands-free noggin. Especially for joystick users. I admit that point is a stretch because no one outside of a training environment has any reason to be in the driver's seat. Yet there it is.

Finally, Ratel, a few posts above, mentioned players who have fewer than the issued number of limbs. There couldn't be a better reason that that to at least make Track IR use supported in SB.

SB's view system is geared to players who use the mouse and keyboard.

I respectfully disagree. I have no problem looking around with my joystick as commander or gunner. (Excluding gunner of the Leo1 in manual fire mode.) As you said, driver is a different story.

Finally, Ratel, a few posts above, mentioned players who have fewer than the issued number of limbs. There couldn't be a better reason [than] that to at least make Track IR use supported in SB.

I do agree with this, though.