Lock up

YdnarB

Playing cavalry to the rescue ProPE version, (I added 2 M2A2 for practice), had the game lock up while trying to give commands to units in the map view. The M2 I was in was reloading missles so I jumped to the map view to set routes to others. Came back out and the frame rate was stuck at .61. Game sort of sputtered and I had to kill it. I could switch out and the task manager was showing SB at 50% CPU and as non-responsive. No other apps running (such as virusware).

Played the scenario immediately with not even a reboot (restarted the game only). Could not replicate a slow down and the scenario finished fine. Frame rates hardly dipping below 55.

I've had it slow into the teens before but then recover. This time it did not appear to be recovering.

I have my video drivers up to date with the latest from Nvidia.

System: Vista Ultimate, 3.0Ghz dual core, 8800GTS video

Game: 1400x900x32 using a CH Products fighterstick

Ok, tried a few scenarios in windowed mode. I get about half the frame rates in windowed mode as I do full screen at 1400x900x32. Settings on default. Is that to be expected, that is, is windowed mode typically give slower performance? Or is there something else going on? I have all the vista "gadgets" turned off (screen stuff) that I can find, no other apps running. Hard to say but was wondering if anyone else seeing something like that.

Good news is that I never got a lock up. Even with arty falling, shooting through woods, etc etc, in full screen mode I was getting frame rates rarely dipped below 55.

• Members
Ok, tried a few scenarios in windowed mode. I get about half the frame rates in windowed mode as I do full screen at 1400x900x32.

Are you using the desktop mode with transparency for window frames etc.?

Since drawing these requires DirectX function calls I could imagine that the effect is that the graphics card must render two independent scenes which typically cuts the frame rate in half if not worse, even if the second scene is trivial to render.