Compass?

outontheop

Nor do you have a compass that pops up and shows you in RL.

You need to remember where you have come from and orientate the map to the ground.

Its a skill called situational awareness and you need to constantly work on it (just like where are the other vehicles in the troop relative to yours, etc.).

Then when you have that skill sorted you can work on where the other Troops in the Squadron are relative to you, etc.

I have this fear that people will think that this question was never answered.Trust me,I completely understand guys and Ssnake answered it well in post above.:bigsmile:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Suggested workaround to simulate a lensatic:

1. Select a terrain feature and locate it on the map.
  2. Right-click the feature and select "New arty call". (Doesn't matter what type.)
  3. In the dialogue, give the mission a name to distinguish it and select "At my command" for the method of control.
  4. Click send.
  5. Click the "support" menu.
  6. Select the feature from the list.
  7. Exact bearing in mils is displayed in the "shift" area, "direction" field.

As a bonus, whenever you move your unit, all bearings will be automatically updated. Just click the "support" menu, select your target from the list and see the "direction" field. This seems to work regardless of map update settings. :sonic: (I'm thinking, "printed map + protractor".)

The downside is that I think LOS is not taken into account. But you can use the honor system and only check when you have LOS. I am also unsure of the effect that a bunch of queued arty calls will have on actual fires. I seem to remember reading somewhere that fire missions should be ended as soon as they aren't needed.

EDIT (Update):

After some testing, it seems that queued fire missions will occupy the requested number of tubes indefinitely. Add what happens if the number of tubes exceeds the plt size and you can see that this can become problematic very quickly. Perhaps it's best to end the mission immediately after you get the bearing. Or plan on not actually using the arty.

Edited by Lt DeFault
Add'l info.