A pretty awesome experience

Lord Thag

It's been awhile since I've had time to play around with Steel Beasts, but some time this week had me digging out the old joystick to give the game another go.

After a decent round or two on the shooting range I fired up the old converted Tanks Pro PE scenario. It's good for practice. In the past, I felt I was doing good with three or four kills before being knocked out. This match was different.

I have learned a lot more about tank tactics in the interim, and I employed them to good effect in the mission. I eased up to the crest of the starting hill, sighted a tank, and nailed it on the first shot. I backed up into the woods, repositioned to the left, found a hull down position and waited. Two burning OPFOR tanks soon decorated the crest of a nearby hill. Forgot to bring the marshmallows though...

I backed into the woods again, and maneuvered around to the far east side of the green belt and waited for a long stretch in overwatch. An OPFOR tank emerged from the treeline on a distant hill, but my gunner nailed him before I could take over the position. The shot compromised our position and another tank, previously hidden by the ridge line, opened fire on us. He missed, but so did my gunner. I took over. Tough son of a !%$#@ took 3 sabot to brew up, which he did quite spectacularly.

I headed west into the forest and not a moment too soon, another tank drove right along the tree line to my right, making a dash for my previous location. Clever. Had I been there I would have been flanked and knocked out. I thanked him by graciously adding extra ventilation to his turret :gun: :)

I headed east at high speed, and positioned north of the second clump of woods south west of the farm house. Ten minutes and a few rounds later, two more OPFOR tanks lay burning, victims of two separate long range duels in which my gunnery skills (to my pleasant surprise) proved superior. I'm getting the hang of tank gunnery. Pretty rewarding.

Now I was down to one, count 'em, one sabot. And there is still one OPFOR tank left. It's down to the wire. Thirty minutes of cat and mouse play ensure. Where is that damnable OPFOR tank? Finally, I sight the top of a turret along the eastern ridgeline, just above me not thirty feet away, looking away from me. I line up the shot. BOOM! Turret sails sky high. I am about to congratulate myself when suddenly, a tank drives over the ridge line about ten feet to the left of the tank I had just wasted my last sabot on!

Seems my initial target was a wreck (note to self... check your friggin' map next time!). The new tanks turret swings menacingly towards me, only yards away.

I slam the M1 into reverse and a shot sails over my head. All I have are HEAT rounds. I return fire. BOOM! Direct hit. BOOM!. Another direct hit. BOOM! Again.

And again.

And again.

Attempts to flank him don't work, and we circle like a couple of bi planes in an old style air duel, close and nasty. He finally hits me back. A sabot round takes out my driver and my left track. Immobilized, I swing my turret around, and I'm down to a couple of rounds. I fire both at weak points BOOM! BOOM! The damn OPFOR tank rides through both hits and stops. I am literally staring down his barrel at about twenty feet. Dammit. Guess that's it.

Then two minutes go by. We stare at each other, twenty feet apart.

One of the last couple of HEAT rounds apparently damaged his gun, and so we stare at each other each incapable of taking out the other. It's a draw. 8 kills and 1 disabled tank.

This is why simulators are so much fun. Awesome game.

Honestly that's the wrong way round. You will learn more and get more out of the game in Multiplayer than you will playing on your own.

+1. Don't wait until you feel you are expert enough to join a V.U. All SB V.Us to my knowledge welcome newbies and enjoy bringing them on. (Except the Aussies of course, who revel in ritual humiliation of newbies before eating them for breakfast. Just joking). This game has a very steep learning curve that can be levelled out considerably when you have experienced players to guide you. Plus, the social aspect is a bonus.

+1. Don't wait until you feel you are expert enough to join a V.U. All SB V.Us to my knowledge welcome newbies and enjoy bringing them on. (Except the Aussies of course, who revel in ritual humiliation of newbies before eating them for breakfast. Just joking). This game has a very steep learning curve that can be levelled out considerably when you have experienced players to guide you. Plus, the social aspect is a bonus.

The newbies have a break, the Soviet VU's on the menu this weekend, ....right around breakfast time for us as well.

Wow, nice post. I haven't played in so long I am going to have to go through the tutorials again. LOL

Just bought SB 3.0 upgrade, love how much work you all put into this version of the sim, looks great.

When I get used to this sim again, I am going to have to try that scenario. Oh man!

What mission were you playing?

Great write up. I don't move around enough I think and tend to die quickly :clin:

For me it's the other way around. Getting impatient and moving too much usually resulting in getting caught out.

Plus, the tanks hear pretty well, and they do converge on your position if they're nearby.