Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

Panta

I have an ancient predecessor to this called a Quickshot Master Pilot. So ancient it uses EPROM cartridges that won't work on anything more modern than a Pentium 90(!) for the various programmes! But it still works fine and I find pushing the labelled buttons so much easier than having to look down and peck away at the keyboard.

I have an ancient predecessor to this called a Quickshot Master Pilot. So ancient it uses EPROM cartridges that won't work on anything more modern than a Pentium 90(!) for the various programmes! But it still works fine and I find pushing the labelled buttons so much easier than having to look down and peck away at the keyboard.

no wonder you have so many key mapping problems Tjay ;)

no wonder you have so many key mapping problems Tjay ;)

Actually, the programmes on this thing are extremely stable. More stable, in fact that those of my CH gear which do get corrupted very occasionally. Most often the problem seems to be SB related. E.g: the keyboard commands I have allocated to various functions become 'dislocated' and have to be redone. The other night my ammo selection keys wouldn't work until I 'unprogrammed' them and then reprogrammed them (to the exact same keys again) in the Controls menu of the game.

Actually, the programmes on this thing are extremely stable. More stable, in fact that those of my CH gear which do get corrupted very occasionally. Most often the problem seems to be SB related. E.g: the keyboard commands I have allocated to various functions become 'dislocated' and have to be redone. The other night my ammo selection keys wouldn't work until I 'unprogrammed' them and then reprogrammed them (to the exact same keys again) in the Controls menu of the game.

So if I got it right, that device can be programmed for using it with SB too? I have been looking for a programmable keyboard or similar since some time ago, but all options were far more expensive.

Edited by Panta

So if I got it well, that device can be programmed for using it with SB too? I have been looking for a programmable keyboard or similar since some time ago, but all options were far more expensive.

Well, unless I've got it horribly wrong, all devices like this are designed basicallly as keyboard emulators. OK - they might come with 'preloaded' programmes for various sims, but those are only the key commands for the various functions in those sims. The software allow you to programme any button on the device to any keyboard key - and in the majority of instances allows macros too. A simple macro is two or three keys pressed at the same time; e.g ALT/SHIFT/J. Some of the more sophisticated software (such as CH) allows you to programme sequential commands. E.g in SB you could programme a single button press to give you Commander View followed by Select SABOT, followed immediately by Gunner Position, followed by Zoom In. I'll let you work out what the result of that might be. :clin:

Well, unless I've got it horribly wrong, all devices like this are designed basicallly as keyboard emulators. OK - they might come with 'preloaded' programmes for various sims, but those are only the key commands for the various functions in those sims. The software allow you to programme any button on the device to any keyboard key - and in the majority of instances allows macros too. A simple macro is two or three keys pressed at the same time; e.g ALT/SHIFT/J. Some of the more sophisticated software (such as CH) allows you to programme sequential commands. E.g in SB you could programme a single button press to give you Commander View followed by Select SABOT, followed immediately by Gunner Position, followed by Zoom In. I'll let you work out what the result of that might be. :clin:

Brilliant! I guess I'm gona order one of those little devices. Tx for the info! :clin:

The result maybe wouldn't be much... using Commander, Select SABOT, Select SABOT, Gunner position would however accomplish *something*. The AI commander will override your ammunition selection (or make the same one) as soon as you leave him in the original scheme IMO.

Other useful ones might be:

Identified > Lase or Identified > Battlesight (to prevent the Commander overriding during an engagement)

The result maybe wouldn't be much... using Commander, Select SABOT, Select SABOT, Gunner position would however accomplish *something*. The AI commander will override your ammunition selection (or make the same one) as soon as you leave him in the original scheme IMO.

Suggest you try it. If the commands are exercised fast enough - which depends to some extent on the softwar in question - the TC doesn't get the chance to change the ammo select. I don't consider this a cheat, as in real life I think (no personal experience, of course) that ammo selection would be handled in a better way than the AI does it. E.g, would a real TC ALWAYS reload with the type of round he has just used? I'm sure someone one of our RL tankies can answer that.

Edited by Tjay

I have never heard of this device. It looks interesting, I'm going to check it out, thanks.

I just saw this to, some fellow added a small monitor to it?

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=93389

Tim

Cute. But personally I would keep the mini display separate and use the central panel of the Cougar as it is intended - to label the individual buttons and provide other 'notes'. Mine should arrive today. I will report back.

Hold your horses on this one guys. Mine arrived today and I find that there is no software that allows the buttons to be allocated to key presses. The manual states: 'Compatible with all PC simulation games that support multi-usb connnectivity. Access the game's controller options and manually allocate the required commands to each of the MFD's buttons'.

But when I tried to do this using the same technique as you would use to change the keypresses used for each listed SB command nothing happens. I.e, the game doesn't recognise the device. Ther MAY be a work around. I'll report back. If anyone is successfully using one or more of these in SB please chip in with advice. Thanks.

Here is TM programming software, T.A.R.G.E.T

http://ts.thrustmaster.com/eng/index.php?pg=files_faq

Thanks Tacom, but that site doesn't seem to offer any key programming software for the Cougar MFD. And if such software existed it I think it would be included on the CD and referred to in the manual. But if you know different I am all ears.

However, I seem to be having some success with the JTK software mentioned in the sim HQ review but not 100% sure yet. Standby - as they say. :)

SNAFU. I have found it possible to install the drivers for the Cougar MFD but as soon as I plug in the device itself it sends my joystick crazy in SB. Unplugging and rebooting solves that, but I think it very unlikely that this gadget will be of any use. :mad3:

Target create a virtual device with compatibles TM joystick (Cougar, warthog or TM16000) and the MFD.

if your joy is not one of the previous listed, you can not use them side by side with an other joy with SB: it allows only one joy at a time.

if you are using the mouse instead of the joy, you can use ONE MFD if you don't use Target, TWO MFD if you use Target