Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

Panta

Now it is clear. Everybody I know uses it together with a TM joystick :sad2:

In Steel Beasts? As Froggy says, rather than being a keyboard emulator (which is nothing more than something with a bunch of buttons that can be programmed to reproduce normal keypresses), the Cougar MFD is 'configured' as a Joystick. And as only one Controller/Joystick is supported by SB, that makes is useless.

I have successfully programmed the buttons using third party Joy2Key software, but the moment I plug it into a USB port it plays havoc with my original joystick.

But if you and/or your buddies know a work-around for that, I'm all ears. Then I won't' have to try and send mine back - or put it on Ebay. If I do have to send mine back I will use the argument that the marketing bumph says that although it comes with FS and FSX profiles, it can be used with 'Any other game'. Obviously it should say 'Any other game that supports multiple joysticks' - which it must be admitted is the vast majority.

No, my buddies use it for Falcon and DCS.

I think the trick is that TARGET creates a combined joystick, king of merging the joystick and the mfd, so it appears as one. As Froggy said, useless unless you have a TM joystick.

Roger that. CH software does the same, which is why I can use a joystick, throttle, rudder pedals and 'throttle quadrant' in SB - the software combines them into 'Device 1' which is accepted by Steel Beasts. Unfortunately it can only combine CH items, so there is no way I can add the TM Cougar MFD to the mix.

IMHO - and I stress the H - it would be nice if SB could be updated to accept multiple controllers.

We have a project to make a custom leclerc handle replica, with panels.

The prototype uses TM16000 electronic (bought 15€ last year) that is compatible with Target...

This way, I can merge Handles, panels and MFD in one virtual device that SB recognizes.

I'm very interested Froggy. Please keep me informed. :) I guess you know that SB can't handle rotary-type input?

Thanks Froggy. With that joystick and two MFDs you have the next best thing to a HOTAS system - certainly much more user friendly than pecking at the keyboard.

Looks as if my best bet would be this: http://www.chproducts.com/Multi-Function-Panel-v13-d-724.html

Should be possible to combine that with my existing CH hardware into a single device recognised by SB. But this time I will double-double check!

Wow Froggy that joystick takes me back.:) I loved the small size of it as the buttons are all easily reachable compared to today's larger joysticks which model the real life sizes.When sitting at a desk you then have to contort your wrist when you push forward while in real life you bend your elbow so no weird wrist contortionist acts.never understood why the manufacturers dont get this point?:c:

And I have to ask.....do you aim the turret with it?Reason is that its not a precise joystick.

TJay there are a number of programs that allow you to use tablet PC's and the like as virtual keyboards, not sure if it is quite what you are looking for.

also many other 'gaming' keyboards might do what you want for a fraction of the price:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gembird-A4-X7-G100-Gaming-Keyboard-Interface/dp/B000MRNW6U/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1VT4UXS7W5JIC&coliid=I1PXSG6JEP3W64

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tastatur-Z-Engine-Controller-Gamepad-EGO-Shooter/dp/B000J1WNF0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1VT4UXS7W5JIC&coliid=I2RE2P4RETOSTH

the crux one i believe is what Dark uses so he might be able to recommend it.

Thanks Hoggy. Gaming keyboards with extra programmable keys are an improvement on standard keyvboards, but the keys are just as close together, so you have to look down to select the one you want. Also, you can't easily label them in the same way as a Cougar MFD or Quickshot.

My quickshot MFD works very well, the only drawback being the need to remove the EPROM cartridge and stick it in a little programming box when you wan't to change a button function. Also, the software won't run on a modern PC, so I keep an old P90 purely for this purpose.

Here's a link to a forum discussion. Scroll down four posts and you will see a set up using three of them in series. Their big advantage is that they are bog standard keyboard emulators/expansion units. You simply programme each button to whatever key press or macro you have allocated to each function in the game.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/137306-Quickshot-Masterpilot-Sim-MFD-Forums

Should be possible to combine that with my existing CH hardware into a single device recognised by SB. But this time I will double-double check!

Can now confirm that the CH MFD can be very easily combined with other CH componnents into a 'single device' using the CH software. This single device is seen by SB as a single joystick, so no problems.

I use a Cedeq Enterpad for flight sims and other stuff. Pretty easy to program macros. I have two Enterpads and one older CH Products MFP. The MFP is nice because you can place the RF keys anywhere on the board and create your background templates. The MFP comes with 25 RF keys (1-25) and you can get the extra 25 keys (26-50). The MFP also has a Mode switch so two functions can be assigned to each key. I use Microsoft Publisher to create templates for the MFD and the Enterpad 120. Two MFP's with 75 keys would be NICE! Enterpads have 120 programmable points but are PRICY! Hmmm, I may just get two more MFD's. I also have an Anker 8000 DPI mouse coming from Amazon this week. I just started using the mouse (Logitech G5) for aiming and it seems to more accurate than the CH Fighterstick.

http://cedeq.com/enterpad/en/

The Enterpad 120 works as an emulator. You can assign key strokes or macro to any of the touch "points". I lay mine out in groups, ie four points grouped in a section for ammo 1-4, group for movement, etc. There are twelve rows of ten "keys". The programming software is fairly easy to use and download to the pad. I have different graphic templates that lie under the lift up clear cover. I created the templates with Microsoft Publisher. There is an audible 'beep' when a point is touched but it can be turned off. I can plug the Enterpad into a different computer and it will work. There are 230 command lines available but I haven't used any past 120.

I might try VAC (Voice Activated Commands) on SB Pro PE later this week. I works great on flightsims like LOMAC and Il-2 series.

I'd love to build a proper SB Sim Pit.

Guess we all have to start somewhere.

I'll ask for a TM1600 joystick, as recommended by Ssnake and Crusty. :thumbup: :luxhello:

Nah. The FIRST thing you need is a turret-sized cardboard box. :clin: Also stops family members peering over your shoulder and making inane comments like 'Aren't you a bit old for this sort of thing'.

I'd love to build a proper SB Sim Pit.

Guess we all have to start somewhere.

I'll ask for a TM1600 joystick, as recommended by Ssnake and Crusty. :thumbup: :luxhello:

although I do prefer a mouse for most gunnery I do have a CH Products Combat Stick that I picked up cheap for other duties (like scimitar and warrior gunnery and commander sight movement).

but they are a tad expensive for casual use and the dual axis mechanism as opposed to the ball joint type found on most joysticks can take some getting used to.

• 2 years later...

Thank you Mirzayev. Would two of these (they come 2 to a pack) work in addition to a keyboard - it seems unlikely that they wouldn't. 

The thing I like about this setup, compared to the Enterpad (if it works) is that the keys are tactile, so you wouldn't have to look to find the right key if it was top right etc. Also you could write BIG names next to each key (my eyes aren't that good anymore).

Beware that the newer TM T.A.R,G.E.T version 2.0 software is a bit buggy!  Actualy you cant download it from the TM site, It´s just not available anymore. You can find version 1.0 on the net, or just drop me a msg. and I will send it to anyone who needs it.

Care,

Red