M1A2 SEP Engagement Ranges

lavictoireestlavie

An even better question is: 'How do you get such good broadband performance?' :clin:

O/T Tjay, we get good performance from the servers here, they keep upgrading the service quite regularly as about a year ago it was half that speed for the same base package, upload hasn't changed in a long time tho:

From Limburg Belgium to London

3091568346.png

To my local server

3091573747.png

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

T-80s were designed in kharkiv ;)

Small correction. T-80 was designed by LKZ from Leningrad/St. Petersburg based on experiments with Kharkiv T-64 with turbine engine. It was also manufactured in cooperation with KBTM from Omsk. Variants designed there were T-80, T-80B/BV, T-80A and T-80U and their subvariants. However in Kharkiv, there was designed by KMDB and manufactured by Malyshev plant, diesel variant the T-80UD which was a basis for further modifications known as T-84/T-84U, BM "Yatagan" and BM "Oplot".

;)

Hello Everyone,

what is the maximum effective lase distance in the m1a2 sep tank. I an previous engagement i was able to lase and destroy a target out to about 4600 m with the FLIR at 50x magnification, but i have not been able to do so again. Whats the proper procedure to engage targets in an M1A2 sep ? :(

The M1A2 SEPs fire control system will calculate a ballistic solution out to 5,000 meters. It is capable of hitting targets out to that range. There are numerous factors that are involved that affect the accuracy out to 5,000 meters which would determine if it is wise to engage a target that far out.

All M1A1 series and down will calculate a ballistic solution out to 4,000 meters.

The funny thing is that the DM53 performs much better then the DM63 in the typical med-eastern climate parameters ;-)

(higher powder temp.=faster burn rate=more gas pressure=higher v0)

Worse barrel erosion, worse consistency etc. There are reasons for sacrificing 'high temperature' performance even when 'high temperature' conditions are the norm for current operations.

• Members
120mm lawn darts! :D

q27GQZVyN8w

Try a different method: Lase the target. Load sabot. Index MPAT. Enter the equivalent manual range which gives approximately the same required superelevation (interpolate between the following tabulated ranges):

For lased range 5250m -> enter 3280 with MPAT

5500m -> 3400

5750m -> 3560

6000m -> 3660

6250m -> 3820

6500m -> 3940

6750m -> 4120

7000m -> 4160

7250m -> 4220

7500m -> 4460

That way your first shot will be much closer to the target, and you can observe your fall of shot in the high magnification and apply corrections. :)

Hmm. A problem with using M830A1 for this is that it "runs out" around 7500m (The ARL-3567 paper seems to support an equivalent departure angle for M829A2 and M830A1 for 7500m and 4500m respectively. This isn't possible with the M1A1(HA), and thus the use can't be extended to the laser range limit.

This obviously already isn't a really practical range, but for APFSDS "used as artillery", it would extend the 'point and shoot' range a little more to use the M830/DM12 range scale...

Here 7500m for M829A2 is a more reasonable 2905m for the FCS in M830/DM12, which can be used in all RM120/M256 tanks.

...I have been engaging out to ~3500m. I'll need a little more practice to confidently shoot farther than that.

I'm definitely improving. :thumbup:

I have noticed, while playing a modified version of "Are They Attacking Here", that my AI gunners seem to have a bit of a problem getting a good lase at 3000m+ from a hull down position. [...] I'm going to experiment with this and report back.

Must've been a particularly narrow LOS at the time. Fewer misses this go 'round.

• Members
Hmm. A problem with using M830A1 for this is that it "runs out" around 7500m

That's already 33% above the "practical range limit" as the US Army sees fit.

This isn't possible with the M1A1(HA), and thus the use can't be extended to the laser range limit.

Wouldn't make sense for the M1A1 anyway since your sight zoom doesn't support target ID beyond 4000m range. If you can't ID it you shouldn't attempt to shoot it.

...but for APFSDS "used as artillery"

Please stop right there. APFSDS is an inert piece of metal. You can't use it as an artillery substitute even if it has a range of more than 100km. This isn't just doctrinally wrong, it's wrong in so many areas that I have trouble deciding where to start.

Not really - at 5000m:

APFSDS is descending at roughly 0.7 degree (12 mils ~ outbound was around 10 mils)

MPAT at roughly 3.5 degrees (60mils ~ outbound around 18 mils)

APFSDS isn't descending steeply until *much* later only - fifteen degrees would be at around 70km or more, based on relationship between max range and "minimum range" for indirect fire HE of guns. (fifteen degree angle of fall at roughly half maximum range).

• Moderators
Not really - at 5000m:

APFSDS is descending at roughly 0.7 degree (12 mils ~ outbound was around 10 mils)

MPAT at roughly 3.5 degrees (60mils ~ outbound around 18 mils)

APFSDS isn't descending steeply until *much* later only - fifteen degrees would be at around 70km or more, based on relationship between max range and "minimum range" for indirect fire HE of guns. (fifteen degree angle of fall at roughly half maximum range).

Well, considering that I fire a round in SB at 5000m and it falls in towards the roof of the T-90, then I would say yes, really. ;) Not saying the impact is straight down like a Hellfire, but you can certainly get a high angle hit on the turret roof at that range.

Well, considering that I fire a round in SB at 5000m and it falls in towards the roof of the T-90, then I would say yes, really. ;) Not saying the impact is straight down like a Hellfire, but you can certainly get a high angle hit on the turret roof at that range.

It really shouldn't be though:

The range table for BM9 has 0.54 degrees (0.6 Grad, 9.6 mils) fall at 4000m, and BM9 isn't noted for retaining velocity well, although high velocity.

OF412 has 2.79 degrees (3.1 Grad, 48 mils (compared to 38 Strich/40 mils firing angle)) fall at 4800m, and is much lower velocity than "most rounds". In my book this is still 'flat fire' rather than plunging.

If SB produces other results then the ballistics model isn't right, but I believe that it is fairly good in fact, and you are seeing the illusion of a steeper fall angle than is actually present because of magnification of the sights.

• Moderators

If SB produces other results then the ballistics model isn't right, but I believe that it is fairly good in fact, and you are seeing the illusion of a steeper fall angle than is actually present because of magnification of the sights.

Yes, well, it was one brief observation. It could have been an optical illusion like you say, or perhaps the time I am remembering this was with me at a higher elevation than the target. Not enough angle to argue that is sure.

The second pic shows an almost flat trajectory. Can that be right at that range? Just asking.

It *could* be a 'short' near the apex of the ricochet. From observing dozens of hits (from hundreds of total shots), the 'clean' hits do have a slight downward direction, while ricochets tend to have a mix of impact directions and a 'thinner' hit ray (most noticeable with medium calibre penetrators, rather than tank rounds).

No distinction is made in the AAR between a clean hit and a subsequent hit after impact with another target or the ground.