Nat Geo NL Meggafactories - World of Tanks

Alicatt

Just seen an advert for a program at 17:00 cet Friday 22th November on the Dutch National Geographic channel about the making of World of Tanks, it goes into how they examined, measured and recorded the actual vehicles to put into the game.

Date and time has been updated

Edited by Alicatt
Update to the time of the broadcast

Just seen an advert for a program at 21:00 cet Friday 15th November on the Dutch National Geographic channel about the making of World of Tanks, it goes into how they examined, measured and recorded the actual vehicles to put into the game.

I'm guessing they bought some 72nd scale plastic model kits, visited a couple of museums with a tape measure and used wikipedia as an official reference source.

I'm guessing they bought some 72nd scale plastic model kits, visited a couple of museums with a tape measure and used wikipedia as an official reference source.

In the advert you see them out recording the tank driving and the sound recordist chasing it - Should be good for that 3rd person view :)

In the advert you see them out recording the tank driving and the sound recordist chasing it - Should be good for that 3rd person view :)

Yep - I'm always amazed at the amount of (apparently accurate) technical detail available to players in what is nothing more than a glorified arcade game for kids really. But their financial results prove that they got their market research dead right. Several of my friends, highly knowlegeable flight sim fanatics who abandoned that genre when CloD went Tango Uniform, are in there and loving every minute. Can I get them to join SB? No way. :(

Just seen an advert for a program at 21:00 cet Friday 15th November on the Dutch National Geographic channel about the making of World of Tanks, it goes into how they examined, measured and recorded the actual vehicles to put into the game.

So making a computer game (that I don't think is even a boxed retail product) requires a "megafactory"?

Perhaps its footage of a server farm?

What they showed in the advert was a few people sitting in an office with a graphics program putting together the art work, then it switched to a few people looking at a T34 style tank and slapping it's sides, then it switched to the sound recordist with a boom mike chasing a tank through a gate and down a slope. Then it switched to an internet café type room with around 20 people playing World of Tanks.

I never caught the start or what they said as I was not watching the TV, it was the art work of the tank on the screen that I caught in the corner of my eye, they were modelling the Tiger 1 and putting it in a kind of garage, then the scene of the T34 in the garage and slapping the sides.

I'll record the show but I have no way of getting it from the digibox to the PC.

Edit: Searching on Youtube shows that they have done similar things with other software companies. Like EA's Fifa Soccer

What they showed in the advert was a few people sitting in an office with a graphics program putting together the art work, then it switched to a few people looking at a T34 style tank and slapping it's sides, then it switched to the sound recordist with a boom mike chasing a tank through a gate and down a slope. Then it switched to an internet café type room with around 20 people playing World of Tanks.

I never caught the start or what they said as I was not watching the TV, it was the art work of the tank on the screen that I caught in the corner of my eye, they were modelling the Tiger 1 and putting it in a kind of garage, then the scene of the T34 in the garage and slapping the sides.

I'll record the show but I have no way of getting it from the digibox to the PC.

Edit: Searching on Youtube shows that they have done similar things with other software companies. Like EA's Fifa Soccer

WOT are running full TV Adverts on some stations in my neck of the woods.

I Think there worried Air thunder which is also going to include playable WW2 tanks

Are going to bite in to there revenue.

I considered downloading WOT but the whole the more you spend the better chance you Have of winning to be distasteful.

Also the pretense that you are playing accurately modeled tanks

Some of which never left the prototype stage in Reality a bit of a joke.

But you have to give credit to there PR/Advertising staff and appreciate the amount of money they spent on same.

I would never of thought a Tank game could generate such a huge following.

showed some guy at a game convention a video of one of the best SB games i've played,

and he almost fell asleep watching it.

you just can't replicate the 45 minutes of planning, the anticipation of wondering whether the plan is going to work or fail, the tension of never knowing exactly where your enemy is..

Yea, the ads are here in the U.S. too.

Looking at that link... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeVvJDDqRYg&list=PLYgipOCaRI034tH_5LvnL2crptt-fG6I1&index=1

Apparently more kills are made with Tank ramp jumps onto other vehicles, or shoving them into ponds of water.... Or just ramming over and over.

I tried WoT, once I put my gun on an enemy tank and it highlighted and outlined the shape of the tank, I was outta there lol.

Guys, we have to accept that we're wired for the kind of slower paced combat we see in Steel Beasts, and are the vast minority, for we have attention spans.

Sadly, World of Tanks and it's ilk are the future of PC gaming. I think the offline single player campaign will be a thing of the past, at least the PC specific developed ones. Market forces like micro-transactions, pirating, etc., are pushing PC game makers in that direction. Another bad thing is that a given game genre is usually dominated by a 1 or 2 titles which no one else can compete against, so our choices will even more limited.

It is one thing I'm looking forward to in the forth coming Star Citizen is the expanded single player campaign. Erin Roberts is heading up the team that is building it in the UK.

It is also one of the things I love about SB is that I can be offline and do my own thing with it, I could not put together the time to dedicate to a VU, home life and such means that I cannot sit around for hours at a stretch, which is not fair to a team if I cannot guarantee I will be there.

The drop in and out available with WoT is appealing but the game play does nothing for me at all, it is the same with CoD or BF3, I've watched my son play them and it really puts me off.

I wonder what the average age for a SB PE user is.

Well in UK Armour we have three members under 30, one under twenty

With the vast majority of us in are forty's. and one over sixty.

Hoggy's over 30. (He's past it and over the hill :) )

I'm coming up to 30. Arrrrrrgh! Mid Life Crisis!!!

Killjoy's not a teenager anymore. :)

(He'll be off chasing girls soon, the first flush of youth. :biggrin: )