Vulnerability Model PRP-3

GSprocket

I was ranging an OF18 HE round from a T-62 onto a hull-down PRP-3 using the coax.

From a range of around 1000m ish, I killed one in the upper side hull. On another attempt with a frontal aspect I broke the track with the coax, then killed the vehicle with a hit in the turret front.

This surprised me, as I find trucks generally harder to kill than this, and I was expecting BMP (or BRDM at worst) armour levels, which would have justified the bigger round.

The burst lengths were only 3-4 rounds with one tracer visible ~ it wasn't even that I was hosing the target down.

Is this vulnerability and protection model correct?

• Moderators
I was ranging an OF18 HE round from a T-62 onto a hull-down PRP-3 using the coax.

From a range of around 1000m ish, I killed one in the upper side hull. On another attempt with a frontal aspect I broke the track with the coax, then killed the vehicle with a hit in the turret front.

This surprised me, as I find trucks generally harder to kill than this, and I was expecting BMP (or BRDM at worst) armour levels, which would have justified the bigger round.

The burst lengths were only 3-4 rounds with one tracer visible ~ it wasn't even that I was hosing the target down.

Is this vulnerability and protection model correct?

An AAR image showing where you hit it would be nice. Without that, it is anyone's best guess as to what is going on.

Yes, you can knock off the track with the coax, the tracks are relatively flimsy.

I did specify from 1000m ish, which is 10x as far... at least on the frontal target.

The first flanking target was a hit into the rear compartment from ~150m in the area of the firing ports on the original BMP1 it was derived from. (There are no firing ports on the PRP of course).

The frontal turret hit I didn't save the AAR, but the recorded impact was just below the left hand edge of the mantlet, on the turret armour, from slightly to the left of the centre-line, again 1000m, which is beyond the useful anti-armour range of the SMGT weapon. (Certainly I have to hose down trucks at 1km to even slow them down, and killing them at that range is difficult).

• Moderators

Unforutnately we need AAR images to know exactly where the impact is taking place. Nothing looks odd here as far as I can see after checking all the obvious places.

And OK, yes, you did say "1000m 'ish" in the first, but you mentioned that you had several attempts. We need more accurate information with these things to help narrow down what it might be, if anything.

• Moderators

Good news:

After further investigations, we found the problem. There was an error here and the armor model was actually not linked properly. This caused the vehicle to be some uniform thickness (perhaps just 1mm), so it could be killed at any aspect by MG fire. Essentially, in my earlier posts I was examining the armor model that wasn't being properly used, which probably explains why I didn't see a problem with the armor model itself. ;)

In the update this should be fixed now. Thanks for the info!