Apache Gunship in SB

Marko

While watching some SB videos on you tube

Seen something that is puzzling me.

There is a segment where they show the apache gunship in action complete with a cockpit View of the Apache, Not sure if this is Artistic licence or not but it sure looks like the SB world to me.

Can somebody confirm if its real or not.

Video below show the cockpit.

Edit. I have heard the military version of SB has this feature.

Edited by Marko

What, you didn't buy the playable Apache DLC? ;)

If only SB did have a playable gunship/gunships. LoL

Many have told me, And even taken to time to explain why it never will happen.

You would need much bigger maps, A shit load of AD Systems working radar.

Then it would take away from the ground war, As a flight of apaches would decimate a Battalion of tanks from way beyond your visual range a very one sided fight

But for me it would be the ultimate add on.

Since there aren't any current Apache sims out there, I would agree that it would be interesting to have it playable. It would be an amazing feat of programming no doubt! But I'm very pleased with its current form and the sky is the limit with the mission editor.

There is a very well-done D-Apache mod for Arma 2 that was released not too long ago that I would say is somewhere between Enemy Engaged and DCS: Black Shark levels of fidelity. That said, given that it's a vehicle mod for a game whose forte is infantry combat and the devs had to resort to some witchcraft to get around the limitations of the VBS engine (and not always terribly successful), it is still every bit as cumbersome to play this mod as ArmA 2 is.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?162767-AH-64D-Apache-Longbow-for-ArmA2-by-Nodunit-and-Franze

Then it would take away from the ground war, As a flight of apaches would decimate a Battalion of tanks from way beyond your visual range a very one sided fight

Marko, eSim would need to source and integrate an avionics simulation engine into the Steel Beasts code.

(It would be bit of a train crash to start off with)

I doubt this will ever happen, Ssnake is too much of an armour guy to get involved in flying whirly things in too much detail, all we, as die hard tankers need to know, is where and how dangerous they are.

And frankly if you need to do fancy flying to dodge bullets, you're doing it wrong. :)

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see a better flight engine in SB, but it will never be DCS accurate.

That's where Calytrix comes in.

(And anyway, the trouble with helicopters, is that the propeller is in the wrong place, and that my friend, is the work of the devil. ;) )

Would be cool... Maybe someday!

Well go and visit your local recruiting office.

LOL, they turned me down when I signed up in the early 90's to fly Apache's. :mad3: Something about being 6'8" and stuffed into a small cockpit or somethingorrather..

But even if it's unstable and imperfect, it would be fun while in a hover to decide what you could shoot at.

With one of my custom missions I'm finding it's useful to use Bradley's to hit every suspected window in a building, using the 30mm of the Apache would be so cool, or firing the Hellfire into a building to evict offending forces violently.

LOL, they turned me down when I signed up in the early 90's to fly Apache's. :mad3: Something about being 6'8" and stuffed into a small cockpit or somethingorrather..

But even if it's unstable and imperfect, it would be fun while in a hover to decide what you could shoot at.

With one of my custom missions I'm finding it's useful to use Bradley's to hit every suspected window in a building, using the 30mm of the Apache would be so cool, or firing the Hellfire into a building to evict offending forces violently.

+1

Even with its limitations I am sure it would make a popular addition to SB

Eh, no.

You are a sitting duck while hovering.

And a moving duck at other times.

Attack helicopters are well armoured only according to other helicopters.

Sure, it may survive a single 23mm round to gearbox, but 23mm rounds tend to arrive in groups.

Treat attack helicopters as fast moving aerial Tank Destroyers.

If you sit there and attempt to slug it out toe to toe with a T-64, you will lose every time, a BM-42 is much faster than a AGM-114.

And finally in SB pretty much every weapon in the game can swat you out of the air like a silly fly.

Well, I do understand your point Hedgehog, as I've seen the results you described firsthand while experimenting with the Apache in 3.0

But it would be great if the Autopilot AI would handle the helicopter to fly to waypoints sort of what it does now. You move at treetop height, slow and hover in position, then do a quick pop up to see and attack targets.

The player could then focus on using the FLIR and other weapons systems to designate and fire on targets while the AI did the pop up. Keeping your Apache over 5km from enemy T-80's really helps the Apache's odds of survival against a BM-42 I found.

Then quickly move at treetop to another position to set up another pop up attack. Works for me when I use the Apache anyways.

I learned it's not a charge in and kick ass sort of vehicle, you really have to be cautious with it. Once you feel you've removed the biggest threats to it on the battlefield, then you move it cautiously toward the enemy, though at a safe range that will keep it out of trouble in case you made a mistake or missed something. I run out of Hellfires and then usually run out of rockets playing this way, and am down to 30mm in some scenarios because of being cautious with it.

Yea, that's true under the most optimal of atmospheric conditions, but add a little atmospheric haze in the visible spectrum and most Russian systems will find it hard to engage anything beyond 3km, even with Refleks. And if they are distracted by other units, etc. I also reserve the option of engaging from 8km with my Apache's :)

And if I run into Tunguska's or Shilka's they are vigorously prosecuted by ground, artillery, or airstrikes when found. It's pretty fun to experiment and make them work out in the scenarios.

Eh, no.

You are a sitting duck while hovering.

And a moving duck at other times.

Attack helicopters are well armoured only according to other helicopters.

Sure, it may survive a single 23mm round to gearbox, but 23mm rounds tend to arrive in groups.

Treat attack helicopters as fast moving aerial Tank Destroyers.

If you sit there and attempt to slug it out toe to toe with a T-64, you will lose every time, a BM-42 is much faster than a AGM-114.

And finally in SB pretty much every weapon in the game can swat you out of the air like a silly fly.

Not really.

Theres a tactic called pop up, where you hover behind a tree line or ridge, pop up, scan for targets, pop down, program the missiles, 16 of them, each for a different target, pop up, launch everything in about 1 minute, pop down, pop up BDA, a retreat. Everything is done while hovering, from about 5 clicks away. Sitting ducks are the targets, in a matter of fact! :gun:

Not really.

Theres a tactic called pop up, where you hover behind a tree line or ridge, pop up, scan for targets, pop down, program the missiles, 16 of them, each for a different target, pop up, launch everything in about 1 minute, pop down, pop up BDA, a retreat. Everything is done while hovering, fro.m about 5 clicks away. Sitting ducks are the targets, in a matter of fact! :gun:

I find this topic very interesting.

The Russians have a multitude of different AD weapons systems.

Nato forces seem to rely on having air superiority from the start of any possible conflict.