Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm

Werewolf

Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm

Anyone playing this? If so what are your impressions?

The reviews are fairly positive and the design is innovative. It is a command focused game that attempts to simulate the OODA process.

Graphics are a bit dated (for a game published less than a month ago) but functional.

I'm considering getting it but would like the opinions of others.

Good, bad, indifferent. All comments appreciated.

I was one of the beta testers and instantly fell in love with it, bugs and all, after my first play through. It just seems to capture that sweet spot between sim and playability with that "one more turn" feel as well. The asynchronous turn system is genius and the combat is fast and very, very brutal.

It has a couple of issues at the moment, one being the way a scenario ends, but the devs are addressing those. If you like Cold War gone hot games, or modern combat in general, you really won't regret getting it.

Purchased it the other day and absolutely love it! The way they capture the OODA process is brilliant. The game forces you to think several moves ahead. You only have so many orders you can give and so many units to command. Personally I love the unit graphics which are quite functional and cool IMHO. The only critique I would have is I think the maps could use better graphics and detail. Always loved Gary Grigby's War in the East Maps or the HPS Simulations ones.

As Pinetree said, the game is very fast paced and combat indeed brutal. So many calculations going on under the hood. So much data for the player to digest but the GUI and staff reports keep you well informed in order for you to make the decisions in how to use those limited "command orders."

You probably have already but if not check out the AARs in the matrix forums on the game. There are some beauties in there which will give you a flavor of the game.

Here is a video of gameplay from a guy who posted it on youtube.

http://youtu.be/XKES4F5vuLg

Thanks, fellas. Your opinions and links help the decision making process a great deal and getting opinions from those not invested in the product is even better.

Pretty much want it - but - the price seems a bit steep for what you get - then again - THAT's Matrix for ya.

• 1 month later...
Its late,here are some screens.Ididnt really know what i was doing so i played a tutorial,UK vs Sov.Ill have to read the manual tomm.

End result ...I was slaughtered,which i expected.The IG asigned to to a desk for the rest of my career,lol.More to come.:clin:

And did you have fun? It is IMHO a very intense game. You can play the same scenario more than once and so far the AI attacks differently each time. Beautifully done...this game is just getting started. :luxhello:

As with many other war games (most?) the FPG engine, IMO, excels in head-to-head or pbem gaming. Then it works more as a "tactical simulator", as a friend accurately pointed, than just as a game. Naturally as its release is so recent, there is not a strong community around it yet, as it happens with TacOps, Combat Mission and, last but not least, SBP. But with the continuous and efficient support from the designers, I think that that will come soon.

FPG is a great game, but believe me, playing it against another fellow human is still better! :)

Rules for chemical and nuclear warfare- gentlemen, you have my interest.

So rarely contemplated for computer wargames, yet so integral to the subject matter that it simulates. The Soviets counted on it and for all practical purposes considered it inevitable. Strategy relied on it, vehicle designs were made for it. We always play these types of games as if WW3 was going to be conventional.

For those of you who have played it, how is it represented?

Rules for chemical and nuclear warfare- gentlemen, you have my interest.

So rarely contemplated for computer wargames, yet so integral to the subject matter that it simulates. The Soviets counted on it and for all practical purposes considered it inevitable. Strategy relied on it, vehicle designs were made for it. We always play these types of games as if WW3 was going to be conventional.

For those of you who have played it, how is it represented?

Well I tried one scenario where I did have to use the "nuke" option. IIRC, the nuke launcher units became available to me later in the scenario. I was only to use them via the briefing if I needed to as a last resort. I would lose some victory points if I did use them. I was getting overrun by the Soviets, time was definitely running out and I could not stop them (at least I didn't think I could) by end of game so I saw them bunching up around a engineer bridge they were building to cross the river. I went to the nuke units and set them to launch weapon at the hex where the bridge was. It took about 20 minutes for them to be ready and launch the weapon but when they did the explosion effects were pretty neat. All enemy units in the hex at ground zero and the next couple around ground zero were destroyed. Surrounding hexes beyond that, can't remember number had the "nuclear icon" on them showing those areas contaminated by fallout. When looking at the ENY forces, I really did destroy their core units and numbers were drastically reduced because they were bunched up. I'd have to look at manual again in order to give you more details but it was rather fun to watch happen.

• 2 weeks later...

This is an awesome game. These hex things are not usually my cup of tea, but I picked this up as a fall-back while on holidays away from my home PC (no playing SB for two weeks) and I'm loving it. I put an AAR for A Time to Dance on SimHQ if you are interested.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3892363#Post3892363

Thanks for the recommendations here, which got me interested in it.

smith

go to the mods section of the forums for FPC and you can dl a mapoverlay that uses 1km squares for winter and summer.

here it is,easier.

- summer maps (260 MB download, 27 .png files): http://www.cgf-ai.com/binaries/flashpoint_redstorm_map_graphics_summer.zip

- winter maps (260 MB download, 27 .png files): http://www.cgf-ai.com/binaries/flashpoint_redstorm_map_graphics_winter.zip

Edited by mpow66m

This is an awesome game. These hex things are not usually my cup of tea, but I picked this up as a fall-back while on holidays away from my home PC (no playing SB for two weeks) and I'm loving it. I put an AAR for A Time to Dance on SimHQ if you are interested.

smith

awesome AAR!:drink:

smith

Excellent AAR / review smithcorp! :thumbup: I'm now seriously interested in this title and researching in more detail before making a decision whether to purchase or not (a perfect stable mate for SB Pro PE?). Cold War gone hot... hard to beat!

Excellent AAR / review smithcorp! :thumbup: I'm now seriously interested in this title and researching in more detail before making a decision whether to purchase or not (a perfect stable mate for SB Pro PE?). Cold War gone hot... hard to beat!

Be sure to check out the AAR thread over at the Matrix forums, a lot of good stuff there. Also, check out youtube, there was a guy who had a series of missions he put online to show how game works...it was part of what sold me. Very good stuff.