Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm

Werewolf

Thanks for the pointers. I downloaded the demo and ran through it on the weekend - learning by doing. I completed it once - US Bde TF v Soviet TD, I think - and managed a draw at 51% to me. It's a complex and nuanced game and I clearly have a lot to learn but I particularly liked its representation of Air Cavalry, those OH-58As and AH-1Fs are potent for screening and blunting the lead elements of the Soviet advance. I also liked the representation of artillery, including FASCAM (man, I needed that!) and ICM. It got me thinking a lot about AirLand Battle and what the scenario would be like if I had AH-64s to take the battle into the enemy's rear area - the AH-1Fs couldn't quite do it. The tank and mech infantry combat was about what I expected but, when I play the demo again, I'll be using the cross-attach capability of the ORBAT function to develop better balanced combat teams. I'll also be digging the infantry in more - early! It was also great to see a lot of T-64BVs and at least a battalion of T-80BVs on the map at different points (not to mention BRM-Ks and GAZ-66s) - the OPFOR ORBAT looked realistic as far as I could tell (it would have been a major buzz kill if it hadn't been). Lastly, I'm not sure if there's a way to place military graphics on the map, like Steel Beasts, but if there isn't it needs it. Like Steel Beasts I think it rewards detailed planning up front - the sign of a good military simulation I'm sure.

Overall, I think I'll buy it but I have a lot on my Steel Beasts "plate" at the moment and I'm not sure I need the distraction of another game/sim right now... but I'll work out the right time. Given its focus on Bn / Bde / (Div) action, I think it complements the tactical "in the tank" experience of Steel Beasts well. It's certainly got me thinking about first principles of combined arms warfare again! And, given it's brand new to market think it must have huge growth potential as the developers receive feedback from customers and expand the forces represented beyond the initial range of US, BR, GE and RU.

Now, back for round two of the demo! :diable:

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a pleasant evening playing a PBEM of this (Pied Piper scenario) with Herman Hum of Harpoon fame. He kicked my arse as might be expected, but it was great fun.

The game has a few issues via PBEM at the moment, with a few bugs relating to being able to see some of your opponent's movement plots for visible units at the ends of turns (only really happened once for me in this game); and some turn replays not showing the full turn (you get a turn back and it starts from a position later than the turn you stopped at, so you have lost units, or units have moved which you don't get to see) which is frustrating, but it is also incredibly fast to play by PBEM.

There's a new patch due out soon which should resolve some of these issues.

My last PBEM experience was Combat Mission Beyond Overlord and PBEMs seemed to take weeks - this was over in less than 8 hours (including a long break for dinner prep and dinner with the extended family) - basically about 6 turns of email back and forths.

He has sent me his turns, so if I can nut it out, I will work up an AAR and post it - his strategy was quite clever (the old bait and switch) and very effective.

It struck me that SB could be played in a similar way just from the map screen, and at a smaller scale - plot your moves and send it off for a hands-off playthrough of the outcome just based on plotted orders and conditioned routes.

smith

56e83cfc8eff9_PiedPiper1008-101700115.jp

56e83cfc8eff9_PiedPiper1008-101700115.jp

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Just started getting into this title recently myself, and am starting to enjoy it now that ive read the manual (RTFM case). Looking forward to some PBEM once im more proficient.

Also, is anyone aware of any mods that have the infantry 'counters' depicted by infantry silhouettes, something like the pic below? Personally i prefer that art style, its more consistent with the other units and it reminds me of 'Squad Leader'

Cheers

FB Counters.jpg

FB Counters.jpg

Edited by Bond_Villian