Destroying a tank

Marko

Just watched a TV show where a guy took out a tank by dropping a hand grenade down the Barrel. I was wondering if the gun breach was closed would this be enough to take out a Tank personnel I don't think so.

It would probably damage the barrel rendering the main Gun useless.

Also, how difficult would it be to open a secured commanders hatch.

If the crew were in side and had buttoned up.

Just watched a TV show where a guy took out a tank by dropping a hand grenade down the Barrel. I was wondering if the gun breach was closed would this be enough to take out a Tank personnel I don't think so.

Correct.

It would probably damage the barrel rendering the main Gun useless.

Doubt it since the explosive force is less than the amount generated by the round's propellant (or the forces exerted as those gases move up the barrel). Plus that force isn't contained by having a projectile in front of it.

Also, how difficult would it be to open a secured commanders hatch.

If the crew were in side and had buttoned up.

Very since that is what they are expressed designed to prevent.

I guess John Wayne won the war though? :)

Correct.

Doubt it since the explosive force is less than the amount generated by the round's propellant (or the forces exerted as those gases move up the barrel). Plus that force isn't contained by having a projectile in front of it.

Very since that is what they are expressed designed to prevent.

I guess John Wayne won the war though? :)

LoL But Rambo can take out tanks with a bow and arrow.

Seriously there was an incident involving a guy who stole a national guard M-60 but got it Stuck. The cops managed to open the drivers hatch and stop him.

Seriously there was an incident involving a guy who stole a national guard M-60 but got it Stuck. The cops managed to open the drivers hatch and stop him.

Sure but just because they got it open doesn't mean:

1. They did it "easily" or

2. The guy inside knew what he was doing.

One guy in a tank, sitting in the driver's seat can certainly move the vehicle.

However a crew trying to stop Infantry getting "in" can traverse the gun to crush people, fire coax, fire WP smoke grenades, fire main armamaent (with resulting concussion) as well as just moving it.

In additon what state was the driver in?

If drunk, under the influence of drugs, trying to commit suicide with the Police pulling the trigger for him, etc. then all bets are off compared to a trained driver with an adrenaline rush, wanting to stay alive.

Lastly its been a while since I watched the coverage but didn't the Police get into the unattended Commander's hatch and then get to the rougue driver from within the vehicle?

Edited by Gibsonm

Ah so despite it being a show about zombies (I'm guessing - but maybe lawyers or tax accountants) you still thought it would be somehow "realistic"? :)

I always believe what I watch on TV. ? Don't you. LOL

But it did make me wonder how you would take out a tank with out RPG type weapons

Or armour. I did read in the battle of Kursk Soviet troops used Molotov's or poured petrol.

In to the exhausts of the Elefant. tank destroyers. and of course there the infamous sticky Bomb scene from saving private Ryan.

I always believe what I watch on TV. ? Don't you. LOL

But it did make me wonder how you would take out a tank with out RPG type weapons

Or armour. I did read in the battle of Kursk Soviet troops used Molotov's or poured petrol.

In to the exhausts of the Elefant. tank destroyers. and of course there the infamous sticky Bomb scene from saving private Ryan.

Problem with Molotov-cocktails and the like is that burning liquid get into the tank through small gaps(won't happen today with NBC-protection switched on) or sucked into the engine.

Today it would be more useful in blinding the crew (cover the vision blocks and optics with burning fuel-oil mix, makes it hard to get a clear view)

We've watched an Bundeswehr anti-tank training vid from the 60's, (M-48 G? used as OPFOR)

They killed the tank in 3 steps:

-1: a line charge?(gestreckte Ladung) to blow up the tracks

-2: then attach a rope with two smoke grenades to the barrel to blind the crew

-3: one man climbs the tank, attached charge between turret and hull, buggers off... then the turret get blown away

For sure 3 jobs I would not volunteer for !!!(maybe No 1, when I feel extremely brave that day)

Another thing to remember,

Tanks operate in groups.

If you have an itch (Infantry) your buddy can scratch it for you (Coax)

Personally, if it was me, in a built up area, I'd have my minions throw a block of HE under the tracks, (Explosion takes the easiest route, I.E. the thin steel track) and then try and bring a suitable building down on top of it.

• Members
On a similar note,

I was wondering,after watching the tank film The Beast of War,

Lots of artistic license in that movie. Understand that it was originally a theatrical play then turned into a movie. Way too many people in that tank, with way too much room to live and breathe in, with additional weaponry that doesn't exist (that flamethrower thingie, for example), ...

Doesn't mean that it is a bad movie, just a bad reference to real-world tactics, procedures, and technology. ;)

Lots of artistic license in that movie. Understand that it was originally a theatrical play then turned into a movie. Way too many people in that tank, with way too much room to live and breathe in, with additional weaponry that doesn't exist (that flamethrower thingie, for example), ...

Doesn't mean that it is a bad movie, just a bad reference to real-world tactics, procedures, and technology. ;)

Yeah, doesn't the T-62 have an auto ejector as well? :heu:

Try that one(newer videos):

This is part one:

Main lessons to kill a tank:

-slow them down

- and, that's the most important part, SEPARATE THEM FROM THEIR INFANTRY!!

And notice: NO ONE kneels up to fire the AT-weapon :-P

It's like one of Zip's war movies, with a bigger budget. :gun: