V 2.46

andym

Cool,i have been away form SB FAR too long.I need to get to grips and then go about bringing my copy back up to date.Being the wrong time of year i cant afford to buy the Upgrade sadly,so will have to muddle on with what i do have.

From my subjective experience, version 3.0 came with virtually no penalty performance- I was thinking about upgrading this winter anyway, but that decision won't depend on 3.0.

I have found even with the shadows and the new reflective light effects, there's not much of a difference I can tell. My system was top of the line about three years ago.

To be clear, I run at relatively low resolution- 1024 x 768, which is ideal for me, and most scenarios I run at 6 km visibility maximum.

The performance bottlenecks are still the same as they had been the last several years and after a couple of upgrades- lots of city structures, longer viewing distances, lots of ground clutter, artillery smoke, virtually none of the new effects figure into that. The new effects look good, pretty much at no cost under the conditions I run the program. I think you could upgrade and still encounter slowdowns under those other conditions, the lighting and shadow effects won't matter. It's always been that way.

My advice is to run it first, then decide how you want to upgrade. People's individual configurations are too subjective for a rule.

Hmm, I'd have to say that performance has improved from my observations. Getting into cities and the like during the 2.654 might get a bit choppy as the frame rate sometimes took a nose dive. I have not noticed that yet in 3.002 even with everything on and running just under 1920x1080 (windowed mode).