Anyone running SB Pro PE on Windows Server 2008 R2?

Chaplain

This might seem an odd question, but I do have access to a nice tower server with a decent pci-x video card. It is running Windows Server 2008 R2, and because of the TPM chip and Bitlocker, I cannot dual-boot the thing into Windows 7.

I successfully installed SB Pro PE 3.002. Everything seems OK until I hit the scenario start button. Then, I can hear the tank engine for a moment, and then I get an appcrash error. At this point I can't interpret that error in a meaningful way.

I have successfully installed a few other DirectX 9 games on this server and they run without trouble on Windows 2008 R2. It makes me wonder if SB Pro PE just won't run on Windows 2008 R2. I know that some games will not.

If SB Pro PE SHOULD run on Windows 2008 R2, then I'll want to troubleshoot in detail. If it is not expected to and nobody has tried it before, then I may just let this one rest.

Thoughts?

I tried all of the compatibility options that make sense. Trying Windows XP SP2 or Windows XP2 SP3 break it completely, probably because it is putting the files in the right place for Windows 7.

Technically, Windows 2008 R2 "is" Windows 7. You know how that works, of course...

The full error is:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: SBProPEcm.exe

Application Version: 3.0.0.2

Application Timestamp: 523c4c35

Fault Module Name: SBProPEcm.exe

Fault Module Version: 3.0.0.2

Fault Module Timestamp: 523c4c35

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 005bbf72

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.400.8

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 0a9e

Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3: 0a9e

Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

The timestamps change each time, but I think everything else is the same every time.

I let Windows send in the error report, yes.

I'd try this on another Windows 2008 R2 server, but the rest of the ones I have access to have pathetic video cards: the kind that can't even run 32-bit color at 1024x768 resolution. I can't imagine that SB Pro PE would survive that.

Another note - I went into the map editor and was even able to use the LOS tool. When I tried to use the F1 view, SB Pro PE crashed. It is not the program, per se, but the 3D environment that my server can't handle.

'Tis an XFX Radeon HD 7850. I won't have access to the server for a few days to run the DirectX diagnostics again. I didn't note down the details when I did it the first time, just saw there were no errors listed. I'll report back at that time.

I was able to install and run MS FSX on the server and it runs quite well. Still, I know that SB Pro PE pushes the envelope more than FSX does, so that doesn't prove that SB Pro PE should work without any issues.

So, I found out the video cable was connected to the wrong video port on the server. I didn't think to check for something like that. The other games were running pretty smoothly on the on-board graphics card. I would not have expected that, so didn't think to check the cabling to confirm things were running off the high-end card. I guess that shows I'm not serious enough about computer gaming. :???:

SB Pro PE 3.002 is running quite well on initial tests using the good video card.