OPERATION VARIABLE 4

Tacbat

OPV4copy_zpsf924ab41.jpg

Yes, time is drawing closer to the next OPERATION VARIABLE campaign! In order to start the New Year off right, what better time to run the next edition of the OPV series? Expect the campaign to kick-off in Jan 2014.

The date will be set once I can coordinate hosting services, but expect it to be on a weekend around 1900Z to maximize participation from SB players around the world. Those with the ability to host please contact me if you are available to help out.

Some of you are veterans of previous versions of OPV and for some this will be their first. I will be posting up the draft rules in the days to come to solicit feedback and to give everyone a glimpse into how this version of OPV will run. This edition should be much easier administratively than previous ones. For now, I will hit on some highlights until the draft rules are published for comments.

1. This will be a multi-sided campaign with a total of 4 different teams. The goal of the campaign is to take total control of an island by destroying the opposing teams. Players are free to create their own teams, but they must have a minimum of four players to form a team. There is no maximum to the number of players a side can have. This is very important, so start thinking about putting a team together now while there is still time before the campaign starts!

2. Each team will have distinct equipment based on a specific country. Choices are US, Spanish, Swedish and Danish equipment. The possibility of using Canadian, British, Austrian or Russian equipment also exists.

3. There will be a maximum of 5 missions played, each lasting approximately 60 min. Of course if one side gains control of the island before the 5th mission, then the campaign will end early. Expect to play 2 missions a month on alternating weekends.

4. Diplomacy. Teams can form alliances amongst themselves to fight the other teams, but a team can only have an alliance with one other team. If there are only two teams left, then they cannot be allies with each other.

5. Time of day. This will be broken down into 4 times of the day starting with a dawn scenario. A mid-day scenario will follow, then a dusk and then night scenario.

6. Point System. Points will be awarded for territory controlled or captured, plus enemy vehicles destroyed. These points will then be used by each team to purchase reinforcements for the following mission.

That’s all for now. The important thing is to start thinking about putting a team together. I will announce a time and date for when I will start taking team submissions. It will be a case of “first come, first served” when it comes to choosing what equipment a team will use.

If you have a question about the campaign, I would suggest waiting until I can post the rules in the hopes that it may be answered within them. Thanks!

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Would very much like to participate.

National pride dictates i should use the CR2, the fact i am the C/O for SVU says i should Go with the T-72. but my grey matter keeps telling me to pick a tank you would have a chance of winning in LOL. Either way looking forward to the event.

Edited by Marko

Yes, the C2 & T-72 option exist, but I don't think they are too practical. They would certainly receive a numbers advantage, but since their ammo isn't the greatest they won't have a very good chance at going against the other tanks with 1000+ mm of protection. Then there's the night mission... :)

Would very like to participate.

National pride dictates i should use the CR2, the fact i am the C/O for SVU says i should Go with the T-72. but my grey matter keeps telling me to pick a tank you would have a chance of winning in LOL. Either way looking forward to the event.

Well Marko looks like you (well I guess we) have a choice to make.

Do we play as CGM1SGB?

Or as UKA?

I think we should discuss this on UKA forums first though.

But I will say this:

I think if we played as 1SGB and won it would award proper bragging rights.

Would very like to participate.

I do like to see a man torn between his loyalties :)

You know which one makes more sense :bigsmile:

Do we play as CGM1SGB?

Or as UKA?

But I will say this:

Yes, I think we'll have a chat about it tomorrow.

Edited by Crusty

Do we play as CGM1SGB?

Or as UKA?

But I will say this:

Bragging rights ha,If you won using T-72's you would be awarded the order of Lenin hero of The Soviet union and your own private Dacha also a new state of the art lada with its very Own Heater and window wipers. LoL

But seriously I would like to give it a try with the CR2 I will run a few test missions to see

If its a viable option with the CR2 Ammo

OK, let me know what you think. Right now I have three teams, so you guys will be the fourth if interested. Can you let me know soonest if you will be forming a team?

If you do decide to go with the C2, you'd have roughly a 2:1 number advantage, but that might not do you any good if you can't knock out the other teams tanks with your ammo. Right now there are the Leo 2E's and the Strv-122's left for MBT choices.

Here are the draft rules. If you have any questions after reading through them, then ask away!

Just read through the rules.

This is going to be fun.

Something to look forward to after Christmas.

Thanks for the work you put in Tacbat.

PS

How many points for an apache.LoL

Edited by Marko

New draft rules.

Changes:

The "best ammo" was given for the tanks only. PC's/Inf will have to upgrade if the CO wants better ammo for them.

It will be a 2km radius for the engineer vehicles to place minefield, and the engineer squads have been removed as they can't deploy the minefields. FASCAM is exempt from this requirement.

56e83cfa6b4ec_OPVariable4RulesDraft_rar.

OP Variable 4 Rules Draft.rar

All CO's should now have their point spreadsheets.

Another update to the rules for more clarity:

Regular “footborne” infantry are not available. Infantry can only be purchased to replace any mechanized/motorized infantry units lost in a previous mission.

I will update the rules to reflect this, but will hold off publishing another draft until later.