OPERATION VARIABLE 4

Tacbat

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One tiny little request for whomever hosts the next mission: could you please turn your detail settings down to the default if at all possible? Some of us were getting very low frame rates, around 5 FPS at times, and that was with shadows off. One spot where it was particularly obvious is the top of the hill at 5684 4558, where I was getting around 5 FPS in the 3D view at whatever detail settings the host was using. At the default 50/50/20 settings I get a minimum of 35 frames per second there without shadows, a dramatic improvement.

My CPU's a Core i7 860, overclocked to 3.6 GHz (which turbos up to 4 GHz.) My GPU's a GTX760.

One tiny little request for whomever hosts the next mission: could you please turn your detail settings down to the default if at all possible? Some of us were getting very low frame rates, around 5 FPS at times, and that was with shadows off. One spot where it was particularly obvious is the top of the hill at 5684 4558, where I was getting around 5 FPS in the 3D view at whatever detail settings the host was using. At the default 50/50/20 settings I get a minimum of 35 frames per second there without shadows, a dramatic improvement.

My CPU's a Core i7 860, overclocked to 3.6 GHz (which turbos up to 4 GHz.) My GPU's a GTX760.

Don't think the problem was the server. I have an i52500K overclocked to 3.19Ghz 8mb of memory and a R9270 graphics card. FPS rarely fell below 25.

I'm not saying the server itself was going slow, it's just that the server enforces the same terrain detail settings for all players whether their systems can handle it or not and on a really detailed map combined with a really busy scenario, it just seemed to be set a bit too high, at least for my system (and others on our team noticed it too.)

Once the mission got going I didn't really pay it much attention, and it wasn't nearly that bad ALL the time. It just seemed to be something worth mentioning, just in case they didn't even think about it and it was accidentally left on a really high setting.

Yeah frame rates were pretty low on my old machine (and I speculate the graphics load was responsible for us loosing marco so early due to his system)

We have had frame rate problems on that map in the past as it has very dense terrain, nothing reeling in the ground clutter etc wont fix though

BTW really enjoyed last night, it was good to see such a large group get together and the mission was a tense game of cat and mouse from the start. Really looking frward to things heating up in the next game!

Well done Tacbat, so far so good :D

Edited by hoggydog
to add thanks

I'd just like to say thanks to everyone for a great game that was good fun, and to Tacbat for organizing, it really looking forward to the 18th :)

Yes a great, if long day:

Op Variable 0515 - 0800

Planning for Op Reconciliation 0830 - 0930

Off to SCG for 15 wickets in almost a day's play.

Got to be happy with that! :)

Once the mission got going I didn't really pay it much attention, and it wasn't nearly that bad ALL the time. It just seemed to be something worth mentioning, just in case they didn't even think about it and it was accidentally left on a really high setting.

Yup. Good point.

:)

Mission 1 AAR

We had 30 players participate in the first mission of OPV4:

USA: Assassin, PaladinSix, Toyguy, Rotar, Optimus_Prime, Connaugh

Canada: Brun, Gibsonm, Tacom, Colebrook, 12Alfa, Tango29, Tacbat

UK: Crusty, Dark, TankHunter, Neil, HoggyDog, Tjay, Marko, Hedgehog

Denmark: Volcano, Sean, Gladiator, Duke, Ricopico, Erazor, Dejawolf, Mr_Burns, SeanP

Mission run time: 63 min

Starting positions:

1a_zps3e37854f.jpg

Halfway through:

1b_zpsde290fd1.jpg

Ending positions:

1c_zpsf4fef29a.jpg

The first mission was a generally cautious encounter. The USA & Canada formed an alliance, as did the UK and Denmark. Minefileds and FASCAM slowed any major progress by either side. Most of the fighting involved the USA and Denmark teams in the south. USA was able to make some progress into Danish territory. The UK team was able to push into Canadian territory by mission end.

Edited by Tacbat

Here are the boundaries for mission 2:

Mission2Boundaries_zps3b5e436f.jpg

Ok any armchair generals out there with some ideas for the various teams, remember red is Allied with blue and green is allied with purple. The relative C/O,s have probably already Made there plans, But it mite be fun to see what the SB forum members would do. you can assume all sides will be at full strength 12 tanks each 24 for Green team.

with a minimum of four IFV,s recon vehicles arty and maybe three deployable mine fields. (its just a bit of fun)

The actual numbers of AFV.s will be different.

Just so there's no confusion about the territory breakdown from mission one, here's a short summary:

USA maintained all of their original territory and gained two new grid squares from Denmark. Because of their alliance with Canada, both the USA and Canada get 75 points each for the newly captured territory.

Canada lost two grid squares of their original territory because they no longer hold 75% or more of those two grid squares. Although Canada did push into UK/Danish territory, they did not control 75% or more of the grid squares they moved into, so no points were awarded.

UK did not control 75% or more of the Canadian grid squares they moved into, so they did not receive any points for them. They did hold all of their original territory.

Denmark lost two grid squares of their original held territory.