OPERATION VARIABLE 4

Tacbat

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What was the issue with the save in progress feature?

Well if its the same as we experienced in BG ANZAC in 3.002 the time reverts to the start.

So if your first mission starts in daytime (say 1200) and ends in darkness (say 2100), mission 2 starts back at 1200 again, not 2100.

Mission 5 AAR

We had 19 players participate in the fifith and final mission of OPV4:

USA: Assassin, Rotar, Connaugh, PaladinSix

Canada: Tango29, Colebrook, Tacom, GibsonM

UK: Crusty, Tjay, Hedgehog, NeilLancaster, Tacbat

Denmark: Volcano, Sean, Mog, SeanP, Gladiator, MrBurns

Mission run time: 62 min

Starting positions:

OPV451_zpsd8d4997d.jpg

Halfway through:

OPV452_zps7f2cdf32.jpg

Ending positions:

OPV453_zps28fe23b0.jpg

This was the final mission in the OPV4 campaign. It began with a risky move by the Canadians trying to drive their tanks through a British minefield, but it paid off, and they were able to link up with their forces in their beachhead. This move diverted UK forces from the south in an attempt to contain the Canadian tanks, and the Brits were successful in hunting them down with the help of a Danish tank platoon. The combined UK/Danish force also cleared out a number of NZ LAV's that had crossed the bay in the north. In the south, the US and Denmark traded shots, but eventually Denmark was able to break out in the south and UK tanks helped the advance to the west.

The campaign ended in a draw as neither alliance was able to gain enough ground to earn a minor victory, but it was very close with time running out before the UK/Danish alliance could push further to the west.

Thanks Tacbat,and everybody participating in the campaing.Lots of fun,i can't wait for the next!

Only 1suggestion:

-Fixed deploy zones,reinforcements arrive to that zones, and units start the mission where they finished the old one.

PD:How i use my ribbon?

The only suggestion that comes to mind (apart from others posted here) is the question of initial deployments of allied forces prior to a mission start. I'm not sure if the current version of SB allows it (and I don't think so), but (for example) vehicles of the Canadian team could not deploy into the US sector in the planning stage before the missions started. One would think that, if we are allies, then this would be allowed. Maybe a point for future SB mods? :)

-Fixed deploy zones,reinforcements arrive to that zones, and units start the mission where they finished the old one.

Yes, I can have reinforcements arrive and then have to be driven forward into battle like I have done in previous versions of OPV. In this case, the drive would have been pretty short, so for me it wasn't worth the extra effort of adding deployment zones for the reinforcements.

The problem with units starting a new mission where they ended the previous one is that everyone will know where everything was when they look at the AAR. Also, if the "save in progess" doesn't work, then all the units would have to be placed manually. That's not even fun to think about.

The only suggestion that comes to mind (apart from others posted here) is the question of initial deployments of allied forces prior to a mission start. I'm not sure if the current version of SB allows it (and I don't think so), but (for example) vehicles of the Canadian team could not deploy into the US sector in the planning stage before the missions started. One would think that, if we are allies, then this would be allowed. Maybe a point for future SB mods? :)

It could/can be done. I just don't recall anyone asking for it to be that way during the campaign, but I probably would make that the "default" for allied sides next time. The different coloured boundaries would remain, but allied units could deploy anywhere within them.

One question I have is regarding the Canadian infiltration of the minefields in the Northern town, first let me say I don't have a problem with it, if you can pick your way through then well done and good luck to you :)

What's confused me slightly is looking at the AAR it shows some of the tanks hitting the mines, so did they or didn't they? obviously on the night as far as we're all concerned they made it through safely, and proceeded on their merry way and gave me a nasty surprise :o

Anyone have any answers for me?

One question I have is regarding the Canadian infiltration of the minefields in the Northern town, first let me say I don't have a problem with it, if you can pick your way through then well done and good luck to you :)

What's confused me slightly is looking at the AAR it shows some of the tanks hitting the mines, so did they or didn't they? obviously on the night as far as we're all concerned they made it through safely, and proceeded on their merry way and gave me a nasty surprise :o

Crusty,

The intent was just as you say: try to pick our way through the mines with concurrent covering artillery fire to disrupt any observers/shooters. In the mission I was relieved and quite happy to see all four of our initial group get through safely, and so we pushed through a few more later in the mission. I held some tanks back in case you made a last minute rush into our area.

I also saw the AAR where it showed what appeared to be mine strikes as we went through initially. I have no idea how they got into the AAR, as I didn't see any hits as I went through and all of the tanks were serviceable when they arrived in the beachhead. The other members did not report any hits, so the AAR result is a mystery to me.

Sorry for the nasty surprise. Well-l-l...maybe not that sorry! :drink:

Well I don't recall any mine strikes (certainly no red damage depicted) during the mission itself but the possible signature "boom" was lost in the indirect fire landing just beyond the minefield.

Yes as does mine (indeed "my" tank).

But as I said earlier, in game, no damaged suffered, nor an explosion (but that may have been drowned out be the artillery landing just in front of us).

Out of curiosity, does your AAR also record a single mine strike incident as perhaps 15-20 consecutive events as the vehicle moves through the minefield over the course of a 4-second AAR "frame"?

Out of curiosity, does your AAR also record a single mine strike incident as perhaps 15-20 consecutive events as the vehicle moves through the minefield over the course of a 4-second AAR "frame"?

Well "my" AAR (only covers the first 10 mins or so) has Tacom being struck several times at around 1min, 9sec and my vehicle not being struck at all.

The AAR I download from Teamspeak afterwards has my vehicle being struck at 1min 34sec but only as a single event.

Who knows. ;)