xbox controller setup

whopper_with_cheese

Hello,

usually use the Warthog controller, but whilst travelling use a powerA, a small but nice knock-off of xbox360 controller.

trying to setup the Dpad as the movement controls (mapped to W,A,S,X) using Xpadder.

In the game, W,A,S,X are only mapped to the movement controls.

I have removed ALL joystick bindings inside the game.

When running a mission however, the Dpad controls the vehicle movement, but additionally changes the view to forward/left/right/back which gets annoying.

So does steelbeasts have some default built-in mapping for an xbox360 controller, that cannot be removed?

Hello,

usually use the Warthog controller, but whilst travelling use a powerA, a small but nice knock-off of xbox360 controller.

Is the Warthog normally attached to your laptop (when not travelling).

If so you may need to tell widows that the "powerA" is now the primary interface and then when you get back home tell it that the Warthog is.

I haven't tried using the dpad for movement. But I found that many of the buttons comes pre-bound to functions. The xbox controller is treated like any other joystick. You will need to unbind it from functions you don't want.

I found this to be a very laborious process, quite a struggle with the current way of changing bindings. Hopefully in the future there would be an easier way.

thanks for the replies.

The Dpad does indeed seem bound to arrows (which are equiv of numpad2,4,6,8). I've since realised it only affects the external view, i.e. steering with Dpad whilst in gunner/commander position, the view does not change...so I can live with that. I cannot see anything else I can unbind.

This is the first and only controller plugged into my new laptop (asus g750jh - eats steel beasts for breakfast)

Agree the control setup is a major pain. Unmapping every joystick mapping involves:

1) click on the setting

2) Now prompted with "press the hot key", press a new key (even though you didnt want to enter a new key at this point)

3) Press clear, which will clear BOTH keyboard and joystick mapping.

4) Click on same function again

5) Press the keyboard setting that was previously bound.

Maybe in the future, the sim could borrow from Eagle Dynamics "clear category" approach, which would clear all the joystick settings in one swoop (based on what is selected in Filter dropdown box).