Challenger1 Tank SIm

Stuart666

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well im glad you like it, it was actually found by a good friend of mine. Couple of issues, tried to get a joystick to work and it wouldnt, and ive no idea what the keys are. Mouse works rather well, but not as well integrated as Steel beasts. But all said and done, for a little supported one man operation written for what looks like windows 95(and free as well!). The sound effects are quite good too :D

This does bear out what Ssnake said some while ago about the difficulty of implementation of the IFCS in future editions of SB. I mean we Brits love the thing, but Lets be honest, its not the easiest system for newbies to pick up is it?

As for kidnapping the man, im all for asking him first :) An even better option would be to have a whip round of all the sb fans (or having them whipped instead) and buy up one of the challenger 1s when they come on the market. There is already one in private hands, albeit without Chobham armour. 8)

What a great idea! Too bad my army PC messed up the dwnld...must be the firewall. I'll give it a try from home. I really like the fact that you build a range soooo easily.

Yes i like that too, to bad i didnt take better pictures at larkhill (which has a racecourse dirrectly infront of the range!) I particularly like the detailed debriefling, especially telling you where you lased and where the round actually went. Very interesting i think. Glad you all like it!

• 2 years later...

Yes, its been dead for a least a year. I would email it, but as its over 3.5megs in size, it wont go through my email account.

If anyone has got somewhere to host it, let me know and Ill post it up. I cant see the author would complain, since it was hosted free on his website as well.

'Gunner, Fin, On!'

• 2 weeks later...

Remember to forget about using the Joystick. I think this program was originally written for windows 98 or somesuch, and doesnt seem to like analogue joysticks. It will work fine on XP though, and the controls work ok if you use the keys and the mouse. In some ways, thats more similar control system to the original as the original system used a thumbswitch or somesuch.

Other simplifications are to do with the TOGS. In the original tank you had to type in an estimated range to get the TOGS and the laser in rough alignment and THEN take a lase to get a solution.Fortunately you dont have to worry about that in this simulator! It appears to be a good represntation of a clunky system, but CSS (like IFCS) seemed to work well enough when the crews recieved adequate training.

Sweet seriously sweet.Worked like a charm.Just gotta remember to calibrate your joystick every time you setup the game.Says so in the instructions.Only thing I would change is the sprites.Make them blend into the terrain a little bit more.And the robotic TC voice.Think he must be on valium or something.Anyway to the creator,cheers mate.Great work.