license sharing problem

mpdugas

Hello, all;

I bought a USB stick with two licenses, so that my son and I might practice his M1 tanking skills before he gets called up into the USMC as an M1 crewman. We planned on playing on the home LAN to practice before he leaves.

I‘ve run a few tutorial missions to begin my refresher course in SB Pro 3.0. I’m enjoying my renewed acquaintance.

Knowing that it was up and running, I downloaded the same game to my son’s machine, as I originally indicated in my plans for him as a USMC tanker.

For some reason, his version of CodeMeter control center does not see the dongle partition that actually has the two licenses installed that I bought with SB Pro 3.0; it only sees one that has a single disabled license in a partition labeled ESIMGAMES which is a CmActLicense 1.18 partition. It’s called an empty license container. It is disabled. It is represented by a red symbol on his system tray.

So, I can tell that the dongle is seen by his machine and that I am not having a firewall problem. On my machine, the CodeMeter program sees that partition as well as another one called CmStick 2.02 with two licenses present. This partition is enabled. It is represented in my system tray by a blue symbol.

Shouldn’t his machine see that partition and draw the 2nd license from it?

If I move the dongle to his machine, the game plays correctly.

However, the situation with the license reverses; I can no longer see the license from my machine. He gets the blue CodeMeter symbol and my machine sees a red one. he can play, I cannot.

I can’t see how to get this going:

1) I installed the main license first, then the 2nd one.

2) I’ve enabled ‘server’ where the dongle is plugged in.

3) I’ve done the hardware update.

4) I've sent a help request to Codemeter.

5) I sent the CMDust files to Nils.

What am I missing?

best regards,

mpdugas

• Members

His PC doesn't have to "see" the other CM stick in order to use the license on it. All that it takes is an open port 22350 (you may need to change the firewall or router settings to allow traffic on that port on both machines). Your computer is up and running and has the CM stick plugged in, and your CodeMeter runtime must be configured to run in server mode (start the WebAdmin, go to Configuration | Server, and set the checkmark accordingly, click apply, then restart the CodeMeter service).

When your son then starts Steel Beasts on his computer, the CodeMeter runtime will check locally for a license (and doesn't find one). The it broadcasts into the network on port 22350 if there is an available license. Your computer's CodeMeter runtime software will then respond, and reserve one of the two licenses on your CM stick for use by your son, then transmit the OK to your son't computer, at which point the Steel Beasts executable will be started. And all that within a few milliseconds. :)

I created incoming and outgoing port rules on both machines' firewalls, allowing port 22350, using TCP over my private network. I'm using Windows Firewall.

I used webadmin on the CodeMeter website to set the USB stick machine to act as server. It, too, shows port 22350.

I restarted both machines.

I made sure the CodeMeter Control Center (CCC) was running on the server machine. It shows a blue icon.

The client machine shows a red CCC icon.

I attempted to load SB Pro on the client machine; I get the error that the USB stick is missing.

I exited the CCC on both machines and again attempted to run SB Pro on the client machine. Same error message.

I previously sent the CMDust files to you by separate e-mail.

Am I missing something?

Since you say SB runs fine on both systems when the dongle is attached each computer, it really does sound like a network and/or firewall issue.

The first thing I'd do is uninstall the codemeter software on both systems and install the newest version from http://www.wibu.com/en/downloads-user-software.html . Assuming you're using the regular Windows firewall, you shouldn't have to add any rules manually. If it still doesn't work, it might be something like antivirus software causing problems. You might post what operating system and antivirus/security software you're using on both systems.

I'm using Windows 7 on my desktop, which has the dongle, and my Windows 8 laptop picks up the license just fine without messing around with the firewall on either system. I use the regular Windows firewall on both, and Microsoft Security Essentials for AV on the desktop and Windows Defender (Win8's built-in version of MSE) on the laptop.

On the "client" computer (the one without the dongle plugged in) the codemeter icon will always be red and no license will show up on the list as it only reports local licenses.

I am running Windows 8.1 Firewall, with Windows Defender and Malwarebytes Pro on the server machine.

On the Client machine, I am running Windows 7 Home edition, Microsoft Security Essentials, Windows Firewall and Malwarebytes Pro as well.

Both machines now have incoming and outgoing rules for port 22350 for the LAN only.

I'm going to try the CodeMeter re-installation, as you suggest and see what happens...I have version 5.00d on now.

I removed version 5.00d of CodeMeter and did an new installation of CodeMeter 5.10a, from the link you provided, on both machines.

However, I still cannot run SB Pro 3.0 PE on the client machine; it continues to report a missing dongle.

I really believed that I would do a great service to my son as an M1 tank crewman, using this software to learn on.

I believed that this arrangement would have allowed us to train together so that he would be a more effective soldier.

Perhaps I will just have to return these licenses for a refund.

Hi,

I understand the frustration but if we can get some more information that might help.

Are you certain the two machines are on the same network?

There IP addresses should share a common first three pairs so for example:

192.168.0.x

192.168.0.y

Can you run "ipconfig" on both machines and tell us what the IPs are?

If for some reason they are different, it will still work but we need to tell the "client" (no dongle machine) to look for the "server" (machine with dongle).

Once we confirm that we can move on to the next step.

Oh and an obvious question - the two machines are both running when you are trying this?

• Members

Also, can you please run CmDUST on both machines (it's found in the ..\Tools subdirectory of the CodeMeter program group in the start menu, or whatever passes for it under Win 8.1). It will open a DOS box for a few moments, then the Windows Explorer in your user account's root directory, containing a "CmDust-Result.log" file. Please send it to me.

I'm suspicious of that red CodeMeter icon. That shouldn't be shown, ever - unless the stick is locked.

I sent the CMDust files on both machines to you, about a week ago.

The red CodeMeter icon always shows up on the machine without the USB stick. Whether it is my son's machine or mine, it does not matter. Please see my reply to Gibsonm, next in this sequence.

I cannot attach the *.log files to this message; however, I previously sent them to you as attachments to an earlier e-mail.

Let me know how to send them on, and I'll gladly do so.

Hi,

I understand the frustration but if we can get some more information that might help.

Are you certain the two machines are on the same network?

There IP addresses should share a common first three pairs so for example:

192.168.0.x

192.168.0.y

Can you run "ipconfig" on both machines and tell us what the IPs are?

If for some reason they are different, it will still work but we need to tell the "client" (no dongle machine) to look for the "server" (machine with dongle).

Once we confirm that we can move on to the next step.

Oh and an obvious question - the two machines are both running when you are trying this?

Thanks for your thoroughness.

Yes, the machines are on my home LAN. I can access both from either machine.

The only thing that varies the CodeMeter displays is which machine the USB stick is plugged into.

I think the red icon appears when the CodeMeter software kicks in to launch, and does not find the license. That occurs whenever the the USB stick is not present.

Somehow, the client machine is not talking to the server machine and vice versa.

I think you are on the right track; I was confused when I saw the red icon on the client machine; I thought it meant that the 'stick' was seen by both machines.

Now I realize it is not...it simply means that CodeMeter does not 'see' a license.

It looks like I have a network communication issue here.

I'll troubleshoot that when I have access to both machines.

Both machines are on.

I run ipconfig on both machines. I do not see the expected local network IP addresses, like the examples you gave.

I do get an IPv4 and an IPv6 address, though.

Server PC shows 10.0.0.4 for an IPv4 address; client shows 10.0.0.12. Both have the normal 255.255.255.0 submasks.

The server is on an W8.1 OS, the client is on a W7 OS.

Both are in the same Homegroup.

Is this information what you wanted?

Both machines are on.

I run ipconfig on both machines. I do not see the expected local network IP addresses, like the examples you gave.

Server PC shows 10.0.0.4 for an IPv4 address; client shows 10.0.0.12. Both have the normal 255.255.255.0 submasks.

No the ones I gave were examples only. :)

So yours are on the same sub net (i.e. first three groups of numbers are the same - what the groups are doesn't really matter).

So one machine is 4 and the other 12 on the same 10.0.0 sub net.

Think of them as different house numbers on the same street.

If one was 10.0.0.4 and the other (say) 192.168.0.138 then we'd have to do some more digging.

Next fundamental check (just to confirm the networking is "working").

From the command prompt (the old DOS like screen) on the client (10.0.0.12) can you "ping" 10.0.0.4?

This sends basic traffic back and forth (confirm this before we try something more complex).

So at the command prompt of the client can you type:

ping 10.0.0.4

You should get a stream of information back as the information goes back and forth. If you get messages like "host timed out", etc. then there is an underlying fundamental issue.

• Members

Next, user the ping command followed by a colon and then the port number, e.g. ping 10.0.0.4:22350. That's a quick way to see if the port that is necessary for the CodeMeter to transmit the license information is open. If you don't get a ping in one or both directions, it's time to look at the router settings and at the firewall settings on both computers.

That said, I'm a bit surprised to see a public IP address being used internally. I'm not sure if that couldn't cause address conflicts. I mean,. I'm pretty sure that somewhere in the wide, wide internet there actually is a web server with these IP addresses. Maybe your router is configured in a special way that he won't pass on this address segment, but as far as I am informed there are just two address ranges that should be used in a home LAN that is somehow connected to the internet - either the 127.... segment, or 192.168.... (the latter is usually more suitable for small networks).

Oh, and sorry about failing to respond to your email. I just checked, and I never received one with the CMDust-Result log file attached. "Never" as in "not since December 1st, 2013". Your only email that I can find is from December 27, to which I replied, and never received an answer (unless you used a different mail address?)

10.x.x.x is the Class A network assigned for internal-use only. I recommend every mission I consult with to get off 192.168.x.x and move to the 10.x.x.x address space if they can.

We'll all be moving to IPv6 soon, anyway, and then it won't matter. Or so the industry keeps telling us...

Next, user the ping command followed by a colon and then the port number, e.g. ping 10.0.0.4:22350. That's a quick way to see if the port that is necessary for the CodeMeter to transmit the license information is open. If you don't get a ping in one or both directions, it's time to look at the router settings and at the firewall settings on both computers.

That said, I'm a bit surprised to see a public IP address being used internally. I'm not sure if that couldn't cause address conflicts. I mean,. I'm pretty sure that somewhere in the wide, wide internet there actually is a web server with these IP addresses. Maybe your router is configured in a special way that he won't pass on this address segment, but as far as I am informed there are just two address ranges that should be used in a home LAN that is somehow connected to the internet - either the 127.... segment, or 192.168.... (the latter is usually more suitable for small networks).

Oh, and sorry about failing to respond to your email. I just checked, and I never received one with the CMDust-Result log file attached. "Never" as in "not since December 1st, 2013". Your only email that I can find is from December 27, to which I replied, and never received an answer (unless you used a different mail address?)

ok...ping to the specific port, 22350, from either machine, says '...could not find host...'

I've set Windows firewall rules on both machines which opens that port on both machines.

No joy...same error as above.

I'll be glad to re-send the CMDust logs, but I cannot attach them to these messages, unless you allow *.log files entry.

Where can I send them to? What e-mail address?

The address ranges are assigned by the Comcast router.

OK.

So just for testing can you turn off the firewalls on both machines and see if:

1. You can now ping the port.

2. If you can run SB.

If you are concerned about compromising your machine(s) you can unplug the lead from the Comcast to the "outside world" (the wall, etc.).

With firewall off on both machines, I cannot ping the specific port using "ping 10.0.0.12:22350" (from server machine) or "ping 10.0.0.04:22350" (from client machine). I get a "...host not found...error".

I can ping both machines w/o the port restriction.

I cannot start the game from the client machine: "error 231, access denied".

With firewall off on both machines, I cannot ping the specific port using "ping 10.0.0.12:22350" (from server machine) or "ping 10.0.0.04:22350" (from client machine). I get a "...host not found...error".

I can ping both machines w/o the port restriction.

I cannot start the game from the client machine: "error 231, access denied".

I'm not sure about the ping to an application port. I believe Windows 7 and 8.x ping is limited to ICMP, (that's why you're getting a "host not found" instead of "destination host unreachable".) The ping command does understand that the concatenated IP Address and port number isn't a hostname. Windows typically uses a space instead of the ":" that UNIX does. Ssnake may be using a third-party tool that supports this function.

In the meantime, to test whether a specific port is reachable from another machine, you can use telnet:

c:\>telnet 10.0.0.4 22350<Enter>

You'll probably need to "enable" the telnet client via the "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features". "Turn Windows feature on or off". Scroll down and check the box next to the item named "Telnet Client"

Once "enabled" you can run the command line above.

If you connecting to the port the command windows will be blank with a blinking curser at the top left corner. You'll need to X out of the window to close it.

If the port isn't open or is blocked, you should get an error like:

C:\Users\user>telnet 10.0.0.4 22350

Connecting To 10.0.0.4...Could not open connection to the host, on port 22350: Connect failed

You can verify this by trying a port you know is probably closed, (like 22355) just to see the difference.

BTW, Have you tried adding the server IP address to the search list on the client CODEMETER WebAdmin? (Configuration, Network, Server Search List.)

You also may want to check the Windows Firewall "Advanced Setting" inbound and outbound rules to ensure that CodeMeter components are not being blocked.