Rolling Thunder: Operation Rising Bear

Gibsonm

OPERATION RISING BEAR

OPERATIONS ORDER - NATO RESPONSE FORCE BATTLE GROUP (NRF BG - "BG ARMINIUS") 1/14

Time Zone: BRAVO used throughout (Zulu + 2, Ukraine local time)

Situation

- General

In 2013 the EU extended an invitation to the Ukraine to expand and consolidate its trade ties with Europe. This came at the conclusion of another round of successful NATO / Ukraine exercises during the "partnership for peace" co-operation programme. The Russian Federation viewed this with alarm as an continuation of the erosion of Mother Russia after the fall of the Soviet Union.

Most of the old Warsaw Pact members from Central and Eastern Europe had joined NATO and the Baltic States were flexing their independence.

The initial Russian response to this was escalating economic and diplomatic pressure on Ukraine to remain tied to Russia. Russia retained a military option should these initial soft options failed.

The EU and its friends responded by demanding that the Ukraine retain its sovereign right to self determination as in independent nation.

Currently the Russian Federation (RusFed) and NATO are at an impasse over the issue, with rolling demonstrations and other unrest within Ukraine being the key reportable activity.

This deterioration in relations has taken place over a few months and has allowed several NATO nations (particularly Great Britain, Canada and the United States) to freeze, and in some cases reverse, their earlier policies of force draw down out of Europe. Holdings of AFVs from these countries in Europe have started to grow again and force dispositions have returned to credible levels.

Major components of 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) have begun to concentrate at RAMSTEIN Air Base prior to potentially moving further East as required. Less mobile heavy forces have also begun to concentrate, augmenting the pre positioned European Activity Set. Many comments in the media have likened this to the earlier REFORGER (REturn of FORces to GERmany) activities.

Most of this is posturing though intended to dissuade RusFed forces from intervening directly.

NATO has formed a multinational Battle Group (BG) with Combat Teams (CT) from Canada, Germany, UK and USA supported by Artillery, Engineers and an Aviation CT. This NATO Response Force (NRF) has been designated BG ARMINIUS and forward based in KRAKOW, Poland and is the lead component of the heavy forces that continue to concentrate further West.

Recent reports indicate that inside Ukraine itself, the Ukranian Army (ZSU) has been mobilised in all but name and has taken up defensive positions with their largely Soviet era equipment.

- Enemy

As you now know, some hours ago Russian Federation (RusFed) forces crossed the Ukraine/Russian border and appear to be making and initial thrust on SUMY, approx 350Km East of KIEV. The RusFed crossed the border as part of an attempt to forcibly bring Ukraine back under the control of MOSCOW.

Recent activity:

RusFed forces, assessed as being at reinforced Brigade strength, have hit the Ukrainian Army's (ZSU) first delay line and appear to be approaching SUMY on three avenues of approach (North, Centre and South), refer below:

12982277274_2957f73ee4_o.png

The intent appears to be to seize the airport and other critical infrastructure within SUMY and use it as a base for further operations West towards KIEV.

Having secured SUMY the next set of objectives are assessed as being in the area of BILOPILLYA and subsequent objectives further West on the road to KIEV.

The most likely boundary between the Brigade's lead Battalions has been marked.

RusFed forces have used prodigious amounts of artillery to support their advance and appear to have access to large amounts of Frontal Aviation (fixed and rotary wing, attack and transport).

The Brigade lead echelon is equipped with T-90S and BMP-3 with a second echelon force using BTR-80 as its APC.

As a lead formation, the Brigade appears to have also been allocated elements of an Air Assault Battalion and some Spetsnaz resources.

- Friendly

Ukraine

The Armed Forces of Ukraine, (Zbroyni Syly Ukrayiny, (ZSU)) have been able to conduct a delay from the Eastern border, falling back on successive positions forward of SUMY.

Due to interoperability issues with comms equipment the picture is unclear but it is understood that the ZSU forces within sector consist of the 2nd Battalion, 1st Guards Armoured Brigade, a reinforced Tank Battalion with T-64, BMP-2, BTR-80, limited Artillery and Engineer support.

The last information supplied by the ZSU LO was that the Battalion had been ordered to establish a final delay line forward of SUMY to buy time for reserve demolitions of major river crossings and the demolition of some key infrastructure (which were assessed as RusFed objectives).

Despite the comms issues, some ZSU / NRF co-ordination has been conducted with the key results being:

- ZSU forces to delay East of the Battle Handover Line.

- Route AJAX to remain open and priority given to ZSU traffic.

- Those ZSU forces that achieve a clean break to reconstitute East of BILOPILLYA.

These co-ord measures and the last known ZSU scheme of manoeuvre is displayed below:

12981861085_8a27797114_o.png

The political climate demands that ZSU forces be involved in any subsequent offensive action to regain SUMY or other Ukrainian territory.

NATO

As detailed earlier, the NRF BG has been pre positioned at KRAKOW in Poland. At the commencement of RusFed / ZSU hostilities, the BG was dispatched on a forced road march to close with and link up with the ZSU forces.

Currently the lead elements of the BG, the attached formation recce element, is some ten Km NE of BILOPILLYA and is siting the BG Assembly Area. The tail of the column, the forward air refuelling and rearming point (FARP) is some 30 Km further back, near VOROZHBA.

The BG's sub units have made the journey in good order, a testament to their crews and the maintenance schedules. The crews themselves though are suffering fatigue with more than one non battle casualty suffered to date due to vehicle accidents.

NATO provided the NRF BG with an air umbrella for the advance but the RusFed air elements did not contest its movement. This was seen as an attempt to avoid unnecessary escalation of what was currently still a "local" affair.

The Battle Group's structure comprises:

1 x BG HQ based on Panzer battalion 203

1 x BG 2nd line echelon drawn from Panzer Brigade 21

1 x Artillery Battalion attached (PzArtBn 215)

1 x Attached Engineer grouping (from pzpiKp 200)

1 x Recce Sqn (-) with 3 x Recce Tp and 1 x Engr Recce element.

1 x German Tank Company (3:0 Tank:Mech) - CT ACHILLES

1 x US balanced Tank / Mech CT (2:2) - CT ODYSSEUS

1 x UK Infantry heavy CT (1:2) - CT PERSEUS

1 x Canadian Tank heavy CT (2:1) - CT HECTOR

1 x Aviation CT - providing Attack, Lift and heavy lift - CT PEGASUS

This can be seen diagrammatically below:

Battle Group Headquarters

12980604414_cc8092ee7b_o.png

Echelon and Artillery

12980328393_35e7ecc845_o.png

Engineer Support

13137561584_2457eb89d2_o.png

Formation Recce - force assigned OPCON drawn from B Squadron, 1st Queen's Dragoon Guards (1st QDG) with a Troop from 2nd Cavalry Regiment (2CAV) on attachment. Also attached an Engineer Recon detachment.

12980604194_5f61f0b65c_o.png

More to follow ....

Edited by Gibsonm

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Transmission continues ....

CT ACHILLES - German Tank Kompanie (3:0) Kompanie 2, Panzerbattalion 203

12980327193_535a6ca49a_o.png

CT ODYSSEUS - US Balanced CT (2:2) - force assigned OPCON from Charlie Company, 4-70 AR

12980605134_20a70c4004_o.png

CT PERSEUS - UK Mech heavy CT (1:3) - force assigned OPCON drawn from B Company, the 5th Battalion the Rifles, with Anti Armour Platoon and Mortars from the battalions Support Company with 2 Troop, A Squadron Queen's Royal Hussars (QRH).

12980326963_e8b334303f_o.png

CT HECTOR - Canadian mixed CT (2:1) - force assigned OPCON drawn from B Squadron, Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians) (LdSH (RC)) and B Company, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI).

12980327533_95571f1ea6_o.png

CT PEGASUS - Combined Aviation CT - force assigned OPCON. Combined US and European unit with Eurocopter Tiger, AH-64, MRH-90, UH-60, CH-47 and UAV

12980183665_73f870303c_o.png

- Civilians

Large numbers of Ukrainian citizens are fleeing Westward. These internally displaced persons (IDPs) are choking roads and making movement East on the main routes very difficult.

The obstacles created by this press of people have been increased by vehicle accidents, abandoned vehicles and wreckage caused by air and artillery strikes.

It is expected that this movement will thin out in the next couple of hours as people seek shelter in cellars, etc. rather than move in the open as RusFed combat forces approach.

Mission

The NRF BG is to advance within boundaries, to relieve the ZSU force near SUMY and repulse the RusFed aggression, in order to set the conditions for a negotiated settlement.

- Execution

Intent:

Transmission interrupted ....

Just a bit of an aside as to the time line I and the team are working to:

"NOW" until 16 March - individual effort, scenario creation and play testing.

16 - 23 March - Play testing. Scenario given to another for independent check.

23 March - QA by me (add passwords, sync dates, weather, times, etc.)

23 March - "Draft" Missions and ORBAT posted on Forum.

23 - 29 March - Final "tweaking".

30 March - Final Missions, OPORD and BattleBook posted on Forum. FRAGOs to cover differences (if any).

30 March - Publish INTSUM from SF showing any obvious/significant heat signatures or other deep recce type reports.

30 March - 05 April - CT Commanders develop their plans.

06 April cross LD.

The four "BG ANZAC" Thursday nights between now and the 6th will also be allocated to this. This Thursday will be to test the "save plan" feature in multi play as that will save a lot of work if it works again.

Key takeaway:

If you are a CT Commander you will have at least a week for rough planning and a second week for detailed confirmatory planning (maybe even a CT rehearsal!?) before you cross the LD.

30 March - Final Missions, OPORD and BattleBook posted on Forum. FRAGOs to cover differences (if any).

30 March - Publish INTSUM from SF showing any obvious/significant heat signatures or other deep recce type reports.

06 April cross LD.

The four "BG ANZAC" Thursday nights between now and the 6th will also be allocated to this. This Thursday will be to test the "save plan" feature in multi play as that will save a lot of work if it works again.

Key takeaway:

If you are a CT Commander you will have at least a week for rough planning and a second week for detailed confirmatory planning (maybe even a CT rehearsal!?) before you cross the LD.

I can confirm availability on 05apr14. If tacbat is ok with it, i would make the fires plan and a target list. But that 'd mean that CT Co's need to file their requests nlt 02apr14.

I can confirm availability on 05apr14. If tacbat is ok with it, i would make the fires plan and a target list. But that 'd mean that CT Co's need to file their requests nlt 02apr14.

You have an allocation of 6 priority TRPs across the BG from BDE for each mission for what its worth.

Off map Air and Artillery as well as the German guns and the British mortars on map.

HE

SMK

ICM

No FASCAM

Well I'd say that's a CT commander's issue to manage their asset and work out troops to task.

For the moment I think its better to go with the broad "nationality" cut and then work it out from there.

If there are 900 wanting to be in CT HECTOR and no one wanting to be in CT ACHILLES then its my problem.

Too harsh?

Ack. No, I think that the various CTs can sort it out. Of course, if there is a volunteer for the Comd slot, then that will expedite the filling of the other positions.

Well I was going on the first name in the list.

I think (without trying to dirk anyone) that those people volunteered in the intitial "Expressions of Interest" thread and that is why they are at the front of their respective line.

I can do some digging tonight and confirm.

Update: Maybe not.

Standby for a staffing thread.

Update #2:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?p=255259#post255259

Edited by Gibsonm

Off the top of my head (my focus currently is to get people to turn up and to have something for them to play at the moment), but ...

1. BG Command - Myself, Echelon, Engr, Recce, Guns, 5 x CT

2. Fires - Myself, BG FO, 5 x CT FOs, UK Mortar commander (if there is one).

3. Each CT runs own net. Within the CT, up to the CT commander

4. Admin (unlikely) - BG 2IC, Echelon, 5 x CT 2ICs.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm game. I'd prefer to be in an M1A2 or Leo2E (Canadian as more likely to speak English and I know a wee bit more French than German.) Willing to run the Bradleys if no one else, though I prefer MBTs. Thanks for setting this up Gibsonm.

Not using Hamachi.

Right so can you please copy and paste that and put it in the staffing thread? :)

That will also give you an idea as to which Platoon commander slots are already filled.

As mentioned previously and in accordance with the published timeline:

I know it was ALL :) the way back at post #28 of this very thread, but:

06 April cross LD.

Key takeaway:

So to confirm, the CT and supporting arms commanders (basically anyone in bold in the staff list) will get towards the end of this weekend:

- A draft copy of each mission

- An updated OPORD, and

- A surprise present.

You then get a week to do your recon and develop some draft plans.

Then at H-7 days you'll get the "final" versions (concurrent with you using the draft for your recce, we are doing final playtest / tweaking) of the Mission files and the final OPORD.

In that two week period I need the key parties to talk to each other so that the various "national" plans sync to form a single coherent BG plan.

Then "on the day" There will be a brief window set aside so you can transcribe your part of the plan onto the live scenario (each country can do theirs concurrently).

I'll also be publishing the list of skins, etc. being developed to support this enterprise.

So basically don't worry - its under control. :)