Rolling Thunder: Operation Rising Bear

Gibsonm

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm interested in participating in this with CT Odysseus if there's still room.

There is definitely still room. (BTW, this is "LL" from your blog comments section -- still no idea why Google shows my name as "LL"!)

Well the smart ass answer would be the para in the OPORD on timings. :)

From memory:

Mission 1: 90mins

Mission 2: 120mins

Mission 3: 120mins

Mission 4: 120mins

Of course that is just the scenario time limits.

No idea how long it will take for people to sort out whisper lists, plot graphics, pause and rejoin, …

And there is no telling how good Blue will go.

For example Mission 2 had 120mins allocated in the OPORD however with no NATO forces on the map it takes RusFed 45min +/- to just drive to the EAs.

So if NATO is just a speed bump it won't take up the whole 120mins allocated.

Sorry wish I could give you a better planning framework. :(

I need to talk to all my platoon leaders and my XO. So when you have a chance please drop by TeamSpeak. Assassin7

65C - Rotareneg

1/C - MDF

2/C - enigma6584

3/C - Connaugh TBC

4/C - RedWardancer

Sent you a PM in this regard.

Perhaps I can post here when I get more info (i.e. Mission 1, H hr in 10 mins) then at least you know if you miss the start when the next Mission start might be, based on the OPORD timings?

No problem, you're previous post was what I was looking for. I'll just keep an eye on the clock so I'm not late for my domestic tasking. Thanks.

No problem, you're previous post was what I was looking for. I'll just keep an eye on the clock so I'm not late for my domestic tasking. Thanks.
From memory:

Mission 1: 90mins

Mission 2: 120mins

Mission 3: 120mins

Mission 4: 120mins

Just checked and yes they are the planned scenario durations.

Of course there are a bunch of factors (some mentioned above) that may mean that the start times are not exactly:

1800 GMT: Mission 1 starts *

1930 GMT: Mission 2 starts

2130 GMT: Mission 3 starts

2330 GMT: Mission 4 starts

0130 GMT: Activity Complete

I'd probably offset the start time by up to an hour as your need to get everybody there before sorting out whispers, applying plans, etc.

Update on timelines.

Previously advised:

Just a bit of an aside as to the time line I and the team are working to:

"NOW" until 16 March - individual effort, scenario creation and play testing.

16 - 23 March - Play testing. Scenario given to another for independent check.

23 March - QA by me (add passwords, sync dates, weather, times, etc.)

23 March - "Draft" Missions and ORBAT posted on Forum.

23 - 29 March - Final "tweaking".

30 March - Final Missions, OPORD and BattleBook posted on Forum. FRAGOs to cover differences (if any).

30 March - Publish INTSUM from SF showing any obvious/significant heat signatures or other deep recce type reports.

30 March - 05 April - CT Commanders develop their plans.

05 April (GMT - (06 April in Aust)) cross LD.

The four "BG ANZAC" Thursday nights between now and the 6th will also be allocated to this. This Thursday will be to test the "save plan" feature in multi play as that will save a lot of work if it works again.

Key takeaway:

If you are a CT Commander you will have at least a week for rough planning and a second week for detailed confirmatory planning (maybe even a CT rehearsal!?) before you cross the LD.

Have been able to get most of the kinks out of the remaining scenario.

Currently still on track but will need to do some tweaking to improve frame rates.

Revised timeline

23 - 29 March - Ongoing "tweaking".

30 March - Links to "Very late draft" Missions and BattleBook posted on Forum. FRAGOs to cover differences (if any).

30 March - Publish INTSUM from SF showing any obvious/significant heat signatures or other deep recce type reports.

30 March - 05 April - CT Commanders develop their plans.

05 April - Post links to final missions on Forum. These are currently running in the 25+ Mb per mission range so downloading them "in game" will be problematic.

These will not be much different in content / tasks to the earlier "Very late draft" but they will be different enough that the save plan feature is unlikely to be practicable.

CT COMDs should take screenshot of their plans so they can plot the graphics manually as required.

05 April (GMT - (06 April in Aust)) cross LD.

Manning / Co-ord

I hope that by now CT COMDs have had a chat to their CT staff and ideally neighbouring CTs have spoken.

I understand that the US and German CTs are well manned but unsure if the Canadians and UK are fully manned or are relying on passing trade on the night.

The recce elm also needs to be filled out with 2 or 3 people if possible.

If you are interested but haven't put your name down, please post in the following thread with a preference (can't guarantee that you will get it though):

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=20494

These are currently running in the 25+ Mb per mission range so downloading them "in game" will be problematic.

I understand that the US and German CTs are well manned but unsure if the Canadians and UK are fully manned or are relying on passing trade on the night.

The recce elm also needs to be filled out with 2 or 3 people if possible.

25MB, ouch. Is that because of the nav mesh?

If Grenny doesn't need any help with the guns, I can jump to the recce or where ever needed.

Same.

I have a friend playing through hamachi. If we can get him connected he can take engineer and I can take some recon.

No he can help you with Engineers, but you will remain their commander.

Happy for you to add recce but as the Engineer commander you need to retain control of them.

I need to know who the points of contact are to talk to, not a traveling band of people who jump from role to role as they see fit. :)

The following message has just gone out to the O Group list:

Gentlemen,

It took a little while longer than I hoped but here is the folder with the final* versions of the missions:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/04ddqflxtrvqbvc/g1jeFqFyzt

Also there is:

1. A copy of the OPORD in case you have mislaid it.

2. The BattleBook - Graphical record and

3. A collection of skins collected by the PzBtl 911 members to give your missions that unique feel.

* The files are final unless something horrendous has been overlooked. We have tested them by running them on the 911 server and playing them here in Aust so anyone closer should have better performance.

I wont be changing them just because you don't like the colour allocated to your country, etc. :)

I hope to respond in detail to those who have sent me orders to review, but in general can I stress that in Mission 2 the US and Germans are to remain in place, at least initially and shape the RusFed forces to turn Left/West.

We do not want to block that turn (that he wants to make) by making him attack us.

Anyway more detail on that in the next 24 hours.

Anyone with last minute staffing issues or other issues?

With a bit of luck this will allow CTs to at least gain some familiarity with the ground and their tasks.

I'd also commend to you the "Battle Book" referred to here in greater detail:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=20607

But based on only two responses - not well received by the community?