Rolling Thunder: Operation Rising Bear

Gibsonm

My thanks to Sean, Volcano and the 12 or so others who allowed me to use about 15mins of their TGIF time to test the start of Mission 2.

Will need to further refine it but so far so good.

With a bit of luck next week we can rotate another mission through and so one until they have all had one go.

No doubt all the missions will be further adjusted so just because you have say version "c" of Mission 2 now, that may well not be the finished product. :)

It was fun testing your scenario Gibsonm :) I will be happy to do further testing next week.

As Leonardo da Vinci once said: "A piece of art is never finished only abandoned" :D

I had a blast playing TGIF mission, learned a hard lesson how deadly Leo2 is against Leo1. Most of my shells were bouncing off the Leo 2 armor (not sure even I scratched the paint!), I left like I might as well throw some empty beer bottles at the enemy, it would have probably caused more damage!!! In an act of desperation, I have decided to ram the enemy and simply came over the hill and T boned the Leo2. The Leo2 slide a few meters off the hill and that was it! I was a bit surprised that I did not see any visible damage, I was hoping that at least the crew should have felt something! Disappointingly the Leo2 simply rotated its turret and blew me away :( I lost so many Leo1s last night, I'm disgusted with myself!

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was fun testing your scenario Gibsonm :) I will be happy to do further testing next week.

As Leonardo da Vinci once said: "A piece of art is never finished only abandoned" :D

I had a blast playing TGIF mission, learned a hard lesson how deadly Leo2 is against Leo1. Most of my shells were bouncing off the Leo 2 armor (not sure even I scratched the paint!), I left like I might as well throw some empty beer bottles at the enemy, it would have probably caused more damage!!! In an act of desperation, I have decided to ram the enemy and simply came over the hill and T boned the Leo2. The Leo2 slide a few meters off the hill and that was it! I was a bit surprised that I did not see any visible damage, I was hoping that at least the crew should have felt something! Disappointingly the Leo2 simply rotated its turret and blew me away :( I lost so many Leo1s last night, I'm disgusted with myself!

Don't worry about losing lots of vehicles last night. That's the problem when there are too many vehicles and too few players -- it's very difficult to employ your assets effectively, the AI's tactical ability being rather limited. I managed to squander most of a platoon of M1A1s and a platoon of Leo1's in very short order. I prefer smaller missions for that reason. Such missions do crop up on TGIF from time to time (and, in fact, in the past few weeks we've had several).

And, yeah, Leo2A5 vs. Leo1 is a clear overmatch. As Leo1 commander, you have to rely on patience and guile to achieve flank hits (which, as you noticed, are not always fatal). I myself have trouble doing this too. I lost an M1A1 to a Leo2E last night -- I shot him in the face and should have fallen back to try and ambush him. But, no, I assumed I had damaged him, and decided to go in for the kill.

Just take your time, don't get frustrated, and treat every defeat as a learning opportunity.

I lost so many Leo1s last night, I'm disgusted with myself!

"Been there, done that. Just remember that the TGIF games can be very brutal, so try not to get too frustrated if you have a bad game."

+1. Regret unable to attend last night's TGIF. Hope to make next week.

BJ, just take your time, get some good practice in, and don't shy away from online scenarios. We all had to start somewhere, and we've all pretty much survived! :bigsmile:

Remember the first thing you said in your post: "I had a blast playing TGIF mission..." Keep that in mind, keep on playing and you'll be a vet in no time! :thumbup:

Thanks all for your support :D I'm having a blast playing on-line for sure, I know it's the fastest way to learn the game and the experience so far has been very rewarding. Anyway...I want to make sure I fit in, do my part as well as help others - I want to be part of the team :)

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Missions 1 and 2 been QA'ed through a TGIF test session.

Missions 3 and 4 to go through in a fortnight and three weeks respectively,

Dates discussed with Pz Btl 911 staff and a short list of viable ones compiled.

Short list being sent to people who were going to be key appointments last time (and hopefully can make it for the "reboot").

New Poll thread for fresh dates being compiled.

• 2 months later...
As long as it's not too late please count me in. I can do whatever but playing in a platoon that has at least one and preferably more people would be my preference, perhaps with the Canadians?

No its not too late.

The current crew roster will be at the end of this thread though - so you can make an informed choice:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=20494

I have run into some Work issues and most likely cant make first mission.

The rest should be fine.

Since the pioneers wasnt meant to be used much in first mission would this cause any issues?

As per my response to your PM, no that's fine (work/family of course comes first).

I can control them for Mission 1 (although I thought you had a team mate last time, couldn't they control them in your absence)?

Would be good to have you back for Missions 2 and beyond though. :)

Will adjust your status in the manning thread.

Can I have the map when you're done with it?

Please. :)

Its a lovely 20x60km Big Battle type map, with lots and lots of tactical options!

Basically I'd like to do a British Battalion sized battlegroup vs 2 x (Yup 2) Waves of Soviet Regiments (or more)!

So a 20km by 20km doesn't really cut it. :(

Well of course you can scrub all the RT stuff off and start over.

Aw,

I tried that, tis all passworded, which is fair enough. :)

I'm planning on the "Extract Map" thingy.

I'm hoping it works with Pro version maps.

(bigger than 21.97km squared)

If you are very nice I can give you the template that base the RusFed BDE all stacked up off to one side and you can just drag stuff on to suit.

Please? :)

Plenty of other big maps down in BG ANZAC. :)

Oh! Do tell. :)

Aw,

I tried that, tis all passworded, which is fair enough. :)

I'm planning on the "Extract Map" thingy.

I'm hoping it works with Pro version maps.

(bigger than 21.97km squared)

Should be able to give a non passworded one after this weekend.

Oh! Do tell. :)

Well if you read the last few "fracken" AARs you'd see things like this:

14462002772_8196c133a5_o.png