Challenger 2 model question

daskal

Would it be possible to have a Challenger 2 variant in future releases without side skirt / dust mitigation kits attached? Basically just "stripping" her to the original state:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwiS7ttb3UykF9GxDTKU337hDMt5BJo6QgBvP1IesGKLjoAwbc

I must admit I'm kind of a visual wh*re in terms of the tanks, and would love to see "her" in this visual state as well.

So who do I need to bribe to get this one in? ;)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would it be possible to have a Challenger 2 variant in future releases without side skirt / dust mitigation kits attached? Basically just "stripping" her to the original state:

I must admit I'm kind of a visual wh*re in terms of the tanks, and would love to see "her" in this visual state as well.

Wow, how hasn't the Chally got nice legs! Hoik them skirts up girl and go to it. :)

bribes are accepted here :P

Or we could just get a CR1... :) Hopefully one day.

Oh I definitely agree, but I'm sure the design team has to make choices based on many factors.

In a scenario where time is limited, I imagine that it might be easier and quicker to do a 'stripped down' CR2 as much of the research for armor is already done, and we could use the existing internals and stuff.

Oh I definitely agree, but I'm sure the design team has to make choices based on many factors.

In a scenario where time is limited, I imagine that it might be easier and quicker to do a 'stripped down' CR2 as much of the research for armor is already done, and we could use the existing internals and stuff.

If you're interested in a CR1 proxy I believe the CR2 with L23A1 APFSDS ammunition does a reasonable job of replicating a CR1 with the Dorchester Level 1 add-on armour package fitted for Operation Granby (Desert Storm). I've looked into it in some detail and feel comfortable it's a good enough proxy (at least for my own scenario design and one featuring a British combat team in 1990 that I'm working on now). Not perfect, but close enough until eSim have the time and resource to think about the genuine article, whenever that may be.

Hits around the driver's periscope will result in a kill almost every time. On average I reckon this scenario accounts for >40% of my CR2 losses in Steel Beasts, perhaps more. I still love the old girl though :)

Also, the fairly large lower glacis does not seem to feature any composite modules just regular RHA. Even in the uparmored form , the hull front is lacking in KE resistance when compared to the Leo2 and M1 series of tanks.

The un-uparmored variant might already get penned by anything that can pen more than 300 mm of KE/CE.

Also, the fairly large lower glacis does not seem to feature any composite modules just regular RHA. Even in the uparmored form , the hull front is lacking in KE resistance when compared to the Leo2 and M1 series of tanks.

The un-uparmored variant might already get penned by anything that can pen more than 300 mm of KE/CE.

front hull armour configuration should be something like this.

f2zOjky.jpg

although the lower armour could be thicker, it won't be by much.

Crusty, we should organise a whip round in UKA. Daskal might also wish to contribute.

'Scuse my bleedin' igrance, but could such a thing be done as a mod or would it require eSim to produce a whole new model?

Happy to contribute to the cause!

Crusty, we should organise a whip round in UKA. Daskal might also wish to contribute.

'Scuse my bleedin' igrance, but could such a thing be done as a mod or would it require eSim to produce a whole new model?

It's an idea, I'll check how much I've got in my piggy bank.

I'd imagine it would require a new model, as it hasn't got the front hull

armour, so the armour values would be wrong, and where it has the Vanilla side skirts it means more wheels are visible which probably aren't modelled on the existing model to keep the poly count down.

I wonder if crowd funding for new vehicles is a viable option?

It could be viable only if you find a certain number of 3D artists (I think that deviating the business plan of eSim Games is leading us nowhere especially with the ammount of money concerned) that have the minimum data to do an artwork (being it a exterior model or an interior model).

Money is nice but it doesn't get you the necessary dimensions when needed.

Now, if you want to give Dejawolf a reasonable tip to orientate his spare time in the hope to...

Feel free to do so. ;)

It could be viable only if you find a certain number of 3D artists (I think that deviating the business plan of eSim Games is leading us nowhere especially with the ammount of money concerned) that have the minimum data to do an artwork (being it a exterior model or an interior model).

Money is nice but it doesn't get you the necessary dimensions when needed.

Now, if you want to give Dejawolf a reasonable tip to orientate his spare time in the hope to...

Feel free to do so. ;)

Well getting back to the original topic - all I was asking about is to strip the sideskirts - not an entirely new model ;)