Challenger 2 model question

daskal

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well getting back to the original topic - all I was asking about is to strip the sideskirts - not an entirely new model ;)

it's the skirts and the front armour module. removing these parts exposes parts under these parts that were not modeled to conserve polygons, like the return rollers, and idlers. roadwheel detail was also reduced for the roadwheels covered up by the skirts. so these needs to be added. then i'll need to create 3 LODs of this variant, TIS texture, and winter desert woodland.

I wonder if crowd funding for new vehicles is a viable option?

I forget the exact figures hoggy but it costs something like ten grand for a none playable

New Model. Ssnake quoted some figures last year in a similar thread.

I mite have got the figures wrong though.

But if I win the lottery I will buy UK Armour and the SB community a CR-1. chieftain. etc. LoL

it's the skirts and the front armour module. removing these parts exposes parts under these parts that were not modeled to conserve polygons, like the return rollers, and idlers. roadwheel detail was also reduced for the roadwheels covered up by the skirts. so these needs to be added. then i'll need to create 3 LODs of this variant, TIS texture, and winter desert woodland.

I'll take that as a no then. No as in 'No way, no how'. :(

I'll take that as a no then. No as in 'No way, no how'. :(

Well its more a case of if the model is available and Ssnake has a few spare hours in his implementation schedule.

(That's how the Scimitar was done, Dark made the model and the Warrior "FCS" was already finished.)

• Members
I forget the exact figures hoggy but it costs something like ten grand for a none playable

It's a good rule of thumb to get an idea of the order of magnitude - if you take into account the total costs including

• research time (including eventual travel expense)
  • artwork creation
    - 3D model
    - unwrapping
    - woodland, desert, winter, normal, specular, and thermal texture creation
  • damage model
  • vehicle integration
  • testing time
  • eventual sound effects

It could be less if the necessary research is done by someone else and we just get the necessary reference material, but that has never been the case so far. Even if you had the money ready, we'd still need to find a suitable time slot in the work plan. It's not as if we simply refuse to work without getting paid. ;) We do a lot of work, all the time. Much of the work isn't very glamorous, but it's important - just like hauling fuel and ammo with trucks in wartime doesn't sound like much, but it's both dangerous and absolutely vital to keep the army running.

Adding vehicles is "more of the same" type innovation. But occasionally we also have to invest in complete novel features, or maintain the code infrastructure. Especially the latter, as vital as it may be, will look to an outsider as if nothing was happening. Nothing could be farther from the truth, but that's how it appears if seen from a distance.

It's a good rule of thumb to get an idea of the order of magnitude - if you take into account the total costs including
  • research time (including eventual travel expense)
  • artwork creation
    - 3D model
    - unwrapping
    - woodland, desert, winter, normal, specular, and thermal texture creation
  • damage model
  • vehicle integration
  • testing time
  • eventual sound effects

It could be less if the necessary research is done by someone else and we just get the necessary reference material, but that has never been the case so far. Even if you had the money ready, we'd still need to find a suitable time slot in the work plan. It's not as if we simply refuse to work without getting paid. ;) We do a lot of work, all the time. Much of the work isn't very glamorous, but it's important - just like hauling fuel and ammo with trucks in wartime doesn't sound like much, but it's both dangerous and absolutely vital to keep the army running.

Adding vehicles is "more of the same" type innovation. But occasionally we also have to invest in complete novel features, or maintain the code infrastructure. Especially the latter, as vital as it may be, will look to an outsider as if nothing was happening. Nothing could be farther from the truth, but that's how it appears if seen from a distance.

I am sure Crusty hoggy Hedge

Would be willing to travel to Bovington

With there digital cameras measuring tapes etc

If they got the go ahead,

Now all we need is the Money And a window in Esims schedule. LoL

Oh, remember that you may not take photos for commercial purposes in these tank museums without prior approval from the curators. Usually they will levy a fee on that. ;)

Of course if somebody took pictures and gave them to you there is no way to prove they were taken for commercial purpses. Lol

You took pics and used them for your sim!

No we didn't.

Yes you did!

No we didn't. All reference material was sent in by a fan and we have no idea where they came from.

*impass*

Lol

We'd still be burdened with the hassle and distraction of an eventual lawsuit - something we can very well do without, thank you.

That's crazy that you folks can't use pictures from museums. They don't just let you take reference photos?

And I thought things were weird over here. Lol

I'm guessing if you intend to use those pictures to further the development of a commercial product then the museum is entitled to put some restriction on that.

If you ask, they may say yes, or charge a fee but that is entirely up to them. They are having to pay for the storage and maintenance of the vehicle, it would not be there for you to see if not for them.

OK...But...

If a private person goes to a museum and takes photographs for their own personal use, then releases them publicly (as in, "Hey Tanknet, heres some pictures I took aren't these cool!?" publicly...), could a third party with no connection to the individual who took photographs for their own personal use still be sued for using the images as a reference after they were released publicly?

Well then you have two other issues:

1. If that is what really happened:

a. How do you know they are legit (not Photoshopped to make armour thicker or something).

b. The coverage may not be complete and missing some vital part. As soon as eSim asks the person to go back and take a photo of whatever it is then they are doing it on behalf of eSim.

2. If this massive coincidence did work, what happens when the museum's lawyers site this post as collusion or conspiracy to defraud or whatever?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys

Just found this thread and I have a request from a different perspective.

I for one would love the CR2 in "Megatron" or more formally TES guise. As a 3d modeller myself, and I am currently modelling this variant of CR2 could we explore the possibility of me providing the model to eSim for intergration into SB Pro?

As I work in a simulation and training team I understand the effort required to Integrate a New Model Into a simulation system but I would like to explore the possibility of me providing the "art" side of things.

I am currently 80% Wylam through the high res model and low res model is 40% complete. If this is possible then I would love to get a dialogue going between nose, defawolf and ssnake as I would need to ensure the low res model has appropriate level of triangles, number of LOD's, texture resolutions, texture numbers etc to ensure the model structure is appropriate for SB but also at least looks common with existing vehicles.

Let me know your thoughts

When I have updated my mil meshes thread I will post the link here

Regards

Whisky

• Members

You can always write me an email. I must say though that I have become wary of hobbyists over the years. It is very hard to work with someone who - for reasons beyond his work ethic - cannot keep delivery deadlines (e.g. because real life interferes, or because of the lack of experience things turn out to be a lot more difficult than expected). Also, I am not promising anything. Integrating a model costs time, and there will only be fleeting windows of opportunity (this year, for example, is fully booked). Also, we can't provide much training (it costs our artists time that they can't spend on their own work, after all).

That's not to say that we won't give you hints and specs and all - it's just that you shouldn't expect too much from a first contact.

Fair comments ssnake

What I propose therefore is for me to get further along the modelling phase and then touch base with you via email to determine a way forward.

Once high res is done and the low res done to my specification, then I contact you guys to see how it should be changed to meet your criteria. Without knowing too much about the process of adding a model into SB Pro (have vs experience if there are any similarities) the majority of the software model is already available for the CR2 tes version. Would need some armour value updares/ guesses but hardest part I imagine would be implementing the loaders rws station. I think the enforcer rws is already modelled physically and in software but I wouldn't make an assumption it is a copy paste, add a few semicolons and syntax adjustments and hit compile! :)

Shall be in touch or if I can wing it, see you at ITEC

Whisky