Minefield awareness

EMiner

A quick question about how the enemy becomes aware of the full size of a minefield. I've noticed that if a unit enters a minefield and hits a mine the full and accurate size of the minefield appears on the map. Why is this? It seems to me that in the real world there's no way such accuracy is possible.

also, why is it that minefields can only be laid out as a rectangle or square? Shouldn't we be able to lay them out using the mechanism as we do for a 'custom region'?

A quick question about how the enemy becomes aware of the full size of a minefield. I've noticed that if a unit enters a minefield and hits a mine the full and accurate size of the minefield appears on the map. Why is this? It seems to me that in the real world there's no way such accuracy is possible.

Welcome to the limits of software ;-)

For the program to show only a small piece of the minefield, you'd have to divide it into smaller pieces that then show on the map. Otherwise how should the program "know" what part of the minefield to show.

Its a limit in SB, so hopefully this will get improved some day.

I've noticed that if a unit enters a minefield and hits a mine the full and accurate size of the minefield appears on the map. Why is this? It seems to me that in the real world there's no way such accuracy is possible.

I guess it depends on what type of minefield you encounter. For a burried minefield, then I would agree that it shouldn't become instantly obvious. However, we do have surface laid minefields that are visable, so I think identifying them quickly isn't such a bad thing.

Like Grenny said, there are some techniques that the mission designer can use to add a bit more realism if they are willing to put forth the effort.

Like Grenny mentioned, use a bunch of smaller minefields to cover the area you want. That way when the enemy hits one, only that small minefield will be displayed on the map. The rest of your mined area will remain hidden until the next enemy unit "finds" it.

I like this idea and am implementing it in my latest scenario, thanks guys. One thing to note is that you need to make sure the edges of the smaller individual component minefields completely overlap in the Mission Editor, otherwise you may end up with vehicle-sized gaps between panels in the larger minefield. Kind of unhelpful (depending on which side you're on!).

Good Point Grenny...Maybe use a generic marker to indicate that there are mines and to avoid the area. What happens in the RW when a minefield is first encountered?

Well, rw standard drill is to jump 20 feet into the air and then spread yourself over a wide area. Ok.serious now. Problem is that a buried minefield is hatd to spot. So the only option you have is to reverse in your own tracks...but we dont have that in sb, they would kill any processor...imagine 100 tanks driving around an all leaving tracks that need to be rendered