A question about IEDs

EMiner

I noticed that the advanced mines utilize shaped-charges to inflict as much damage on AFVs as possible. In SBPro are IEDs assumed to be things like buried artillery ordinance? The reason I ask is because they don't seem to kill an AFV. Whereas if they were shaped-charges they would. Am I right?

Thanks!

Well both "AFV" and "IED" are pretty broad definitions.

An IED that might destroy a light AFV (say a BRDM-2) might only cripple a MBT.

An IED can vary from a small charge under a pressure plate that kills/wounds a person up to clusters of artillery shells or large amounts of HE or even shaped charges that can attack from beneath or off to a flank.

If think the IEDs in SB represent the group of artillery shells wired together.

They can happily "kill" an AFV like a M113 if the M113 drives over it, but a lot of the damage/destruction determination depends on the actual vehicle type (MRAP, APC, Tank, etc.) and its relative location to the device (on top, nearby, etc.) at the time of detonation.

• Members
I noticed that the advanced mines utilize shaped-charges to inflict as much damage on AFVs as possible. In SBPro are IEDs assumed to be things like buried artillery ordinance? The reason I ask is because they don't seem to kill an AFV.

That's mostly a matter of timing, as is with all IEDs, you may need to experiment a bit with the range of IEDs and where you need to set the trigger point in order to achieve maximum damage. In closer proximity they will kill the biggest tanks reliably.

OK, a quick report on my IED test:

1) Created a very small custom region as Red

2) cCeated 16 IDES - 8 placed just inside the region's border, 8 place about 10m further in (I noticed that vehicles coast after being hit by an IED) these 8 were set to detonate 2s after entry into the region. It works well since the IFVs stop coasting right on top of them.

3) Started with an M1A2 then a T72-M1. The M1A2 took heave damage and the commander was KIA. The T72-M1 took more damage and again there was a KIAd commander. Neither was destroyed.

4) I then ran through the list of most available PCs - All suffered very heavy damage and once again all but 1 commander were KIA.

5) Then I moved to the truck category - All but 1 (I'd have to look up which one) were destroyed...as would be expected.

So, it looks to me that the damage algorithm doesn't apply a multiplier when calculating damage done by an IED...I could be wrong of course.

My next step is to run tests with only one IED in each of the two positions.

I have mission reports and AAR files for each run of the test.

Remember that IED's are not a wounder wpnd. We found that some times the big ones did little damage:mad3:, and the small ones did a great deal of damage:c:.

Also there are many factors that are required if they work, and how well. So, having various damage effects from the IED's in the sim is pretty close to RL.:wink2::gun: