Google Earth/Map overlay?

Scrapper_511

Is there a feature for Google Earth/Map that would allow me to overlay it on the map editor? I'd like to speed up tracing rivers and streams from Google to the editor. The realist in me suggests it's okay to simplify their shapes, but my OCD insists on accuracy at every bend even though the realism offers little tactical/strategic value. They do sure look purty, and aesthetics are my priority. Not only am I trying to follow every bend of a stream, I also smooth out every curve with at least 3-4 nodes. Time is flying!

The one time I tried that, I used autohotkey and some script, I think maybe this one: http://www.autohotkey.com/board/topic/53249-transparent-andor-always-on-top/

It lets you make a window transparent, always on top, AND click-through so you can still use SB under the image.

I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who values their sanity however. :D Using existing road data or tracing them in Google Earth or other GIS software and having someone with the full version of SB to import the data sounds much easier.

Hi DarkAngel. I'm knee deep in roads already so I've crossed the point of no return. Even more important is that I've successfully laid down, so far, over a dozen fully functional overpasses. Their placement was a very meticulous process so I'm not keen on abandoning that accomplishment. This aside, the Fulda_alt terrain map provides trails in the foliage that I've been able to trace with reasonable accuracy. This has made the placement of roads a pretty welcoming affair. Small rivers, streams, and creeks? Not so much.

However, I am still very much interested in your offer. Again, I've been working on the stock Fulda_alt .ter file. I am extremely curious as to how this map would look with your alterations especially if it will include all the water ways.

Thanks!

P.S. As far as the shape files for the roads, was this something readily available that I could've simply plugged into the .ter file???

Also, I will send you a copy of my .ter file when I get home. Speaking of which, how would you like it sent?

Thanks again DarkAngel.

The one time I tried that, I used autohotkey and some script, I think maybe this one: http://www.autohotkey.com/board/topic/53249-transparent-andor-always-on-top/

It lets you make a window transparent, always on top, AND click-through so you can still use SB under the image.

I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who values their sanity however. :D Using existing road data or tracing them in Google Earth or other GIS software and having someone with the full version of SB to import the data sounds much easier.

Thanks Rotaraneg. I would love to give this a try, but how do I begin to use that script?

Glad to hear from you DarkAngel. I don't have SB Pro/Mapper. I'm ready to send you my .ter file but pardon my ignorance, I don't know how to access your dropbox. I can't seem to attach the file via PM (or through email here) and I don't want to upload my file publicly here just yet (if that's what you meant). In other words, I'm stuck. I know, I'm pathetic. :c: