Swedish Map

DLDC_Sims_guy

• 3 weeks later...

Darkangel - sorry it took so long! I honestly don't remember the exact map. I am (sporadically) working on one of the Leavenworth to Lake Perry, KS area. I was able to get the elevation in just fine, but I still can't seem to load any road data. I keep getting an error saying the locations of my import are incorrect, even though I took all of the data, to include the elevation, from the same predefined region from Globalmapper. I'm stumped, and haven't taken the time to scour these forums for an answer to the problem. If you have any pointers, by all means, I'm open to them!

The only thing I have figured I might be able to do is actually draw the roads, bridges, creeks, etc., in Globalmapper and then save them off as individual sets of different features.

My issue is that I keep getting the "DATA OFF MAP" error, so something is going wrong with what I'm exporting from Globalmapper.

Curt

Edited by DLDC_Sims_guy

• Administrators

Each type of road will be a separate shape file. Go in the global mapper and hide all the other kinds of roads except one, then make the boundaries of the shape file slightly larger than your height map. Make it too big and SB Pro will reject it.

Also - make sure that you are exporting in the same format and datum as your height map. I'll edit this post later when I get a chance to take a look at global mapper.

Import one of the shape files then go along the edges of the map and make sure that SB chopped the edge road segments correctly.

If the roads are in small sections, like a lot of download data are, then you will need to join up sub-segments of road too. I have a way of automatically doing this on import. It is important also to be sure you are exporting the line data in UTM for the correct zone OR that you select lat/long in the sb pro importer. I tend to make sure of the former.

I got it working. I noticed that I had the map set using Lat/Lon in Globalmapper, but the original map I created for SB was in UTM. As soon as I exported the vector data using the UTM format, everything started to work. Unfortunately, the data I can find for the area is kind of crappy. I tried using Open Streets data, but about 50% of all road segments shifted a node to one position on the map! So, I have to go with some very low-res VMAP data.

What datasets are you using?. For US maps USGS is your friend (http://viewer.nationalmap.gov/viewer/). It has 10m height data (NED 1/3rd arc second) and vector road data (which unfortunately is not categorized). You can get better road data from the Tiger data (http://www.census.gov/geo/maps-data/data/tiger.html )

I've been able to cobble most everything together, including USGS, TIGER, and even Open Streets map data. The hardest part will be all of the buildings in each city. This is a huge map. It's easy enough importing all the schools and Churches and such and assigning them the same building type. Unfortunately, the editor doesn't allow one to create an area and fill with random buildings. Oh, how sweet that would be!