Cold War Armies TO&Es PDFs

enigma6584

There are apparent errors - e.g. and on a first reading ~ for the Soviet Tank Coy it lists TR strengths as 13 vehicles and MRR strength at 18 vehicles, while these should be 10 and 13 respectively.

I think this TO&E information is focused on earlier periods of the Cold War. The Soviets did move to standardize their Tank Companies at 10 tanks during the late 1980s. However, I cross-checked this data with FM 100-2-3 and it also puts a Soviet Tank Company's strength at 13 tanks.

I think that as long as you realize that these TO&E numbers are representative of a Europe-based force prior to the late 1980s you should be fine.

I think this TO&E information is focused on earlier periods of the Cold War. The Soviets did move to standardize their Tank Companies at 10 tanks during the late 1980s. However, I cross-checked this data with FM 100-2-3 and it also puts a Soviet Tank Company's strength at 13 tanks.

I think that as long as you realize that these TO&E numbers are representative of a Europe-based force prior to the late 1980s you should be fine.

The number of tanks per platoon, and companies per battalion, varied among battalions in motor rifle regiments, tank regiments, and independent tank battalions of motor rifle division. I believe that the tank battalions in motor rifle regiments had three companies of 13 tanks each, plus the battalion commander's tank. In tank regiments, tank battalions had three companies of 10 tanks each, plus the battalion CO's tank. The MRD independent tank battalion had five companies of 10 tanks each, plus the battalion commander's. Or, at least this was the case by the late 80's.

Very detailed TO&Es here: http://www.armouredacorn.com/orbatsmain.html

Also, the aforementioned US FM 100-2-3 and TRADOC Pamphlet 350-12, have even more detailed TO&Es.