Question re: distribution of custom maps

MDF

I'm pretty sure the answer to this question is "yes," but...

I have created a mission which uses a customized version of the Wolfsburg terrain file (changes to the terrain itself; a few new objects; and replacing the theme and making some edits to the newly-chosen theme). The edited .ter file was saved as a new file (i.e., I avoided the rookie mistake of changing the Wolfsburg terrain file itself).

In order for users to play the mission, I have to give them the customized .ter file along with the .sce file, correct?

No, as long as the map is "embedded" in the scenario, other players won't need the map.

How do you do that? I see an option to embed a heightmap (which I don't need to do), but don't I need to embed the .ter file instead?

Or, do I have to do nothing except refrain from hitting the "refresh map" menu item?

• Members

The TER map is ALWAYS embedded, you don't have to worry about that. The height map may get embedded (with data compression), or you just link to it, in which case a user who downloads it will need to have the HGT file on his computer.

That's a safe assumption for height maps that come with Steel Beasts' default installation, but not so for custom made height maps.

In any case, if the user is supposed to be able to edit the scenario, he MUST HAVE the height map on his computer.

The TER map is ALWAYS embedded, you don't have to worry about that. The height map may get embedded (with data compression), or you just link to it, in which case a user who downloads it will need to have the HGT file on his computer.

That's a safe assumption for height maps that come with Steel Beasts' default installation, but not so for custom made height maps.

In any case, if the user is supposed to be able to edit the scenario, he MUST HAVE the height map on his computer.

OK, since I have not made any changes to the height map (at least as far as I know), and it is a stock map, I believe (Wolfsburg_Germany.hgt), I should be good to go.