Rolling Thunder: Operation Rising Bear - Manning List

Gibsonm

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoggy knows all ;)

...and is busy scratching around to get my staffing list sorted, needless to say CT Perseus will be ready to roll in some way shape or form.

another update though. Killjoys PC has gone into meltdown so I do not know if he will be available for his role in Pegasus.

Hoggy knows all ;)

...and is busy scratching around to get my staffing list sorted, needless to say CT Perseus will be ready to roll in some way shape or form.

another update though. Killjoys PC has gone into meltdown so I do not know if he will be available for his role in Pegasus.

Ah the joys of having to go with what you've got. :)

If Killjoy finds where to put the chewing gum and fuse wire, happy for him to cut back to you (I can do the Helos from BG but the CTs need the people).

Any news on CR2 Commander and Bogusheadbox or is that something you'll find out "tonight" your time?

Well if Killjoy does get up and running I will leave it to him as to where he wants to be, he was rather excited about playing with his Apache ;)

as for CR2 and Bogus, I am awaiting a reply from CR2 and due to the work Bogus does he may not know if he will be available until 24 hours before the event starts, the joys of being a pilot!

Like I said I am scratching around at the moment. Summer is never a good time for UKA as the sun does something strange to us Brits,

• Members

My suggestion is to use 720p at 30 frames per second universally. Cuts the data amount to about 50%, which helps with smoother recording for slower/older computers, also helps later with the editing and uploading processes. What's more important however is that if several people make recordings, they agree beforehand on a common set of parameters - resolution, sound mix levels, etc., maybe even a "pre-cut" to rid the captured stuff of boring filler scenes (as long as some narrative coherence is maintained).

My suggestion is to use 720p at 30 frames per second universally. Cuts the data amount to about 50%, which helps with smoother recording for slower/older computers, also helps later with the editing and uploading processes. What's more important however is that if several people make recordings, they agree beforehand on a common set of parameters - resolution, sound mix levels, etc., maybe even a "pre-cut" to rid the captured stuff of boring filler scenes (as long as some narrative coherence is maintained).

Well thanks but that's what I was after from you?

My suggestion is to use 720p at 30 frames per second universally.

OK done.

Can you give some direction as to what you want/require in terms of:

What's more important however is that if several people make recordings, they agree beforehand on a common set of parameters - resolution, sound mix levels, etc., maybe even a "pre-cut" to rid the captured stuff of boring filler scenes (as long as some narrative coherence is maintained).

Otherwise there will be some video sub committee formed that will decide on its name just as the rest of us are packing up. :)

I suspect the "team" may well now be one anyway, but you never know.

• Members

The problem is that since this operation involves many different parties, it's going to be difficult to give a comprehensive summary of all the action by constraining the clip to a single side. Think of "The Longest Day" told from but the airborne component's point of view. You wouldn't learn much of the German reaction, or even know much about the actual landing on the beaches.

With a dedicated camera guy for each side, chances are that there will be recordings of the same battles (at least sometimes) from both sides, allowing to intercut the action in the post production/editing process.

The camera guy cannot fill a tactical role at the same time. I mean no disrespect here to the immense effort of the people who are making them, but: Many of the TGIF videos are painful to watch as the recording player switches so often between map and crew positions, occasionally doing entirely erratic things, but you can't edit it out in order to maintain coherence of the TeamSpeak talk.

These rapid switches are of course necessary from the PLAYING point of view as the player often has to manage several more or less disjointed units across a rather large map at times. SO whatever gets recorded is dictated by the necessity to play somewhat effectively, and of course it makes sense to keep the entire footage somewhat uncut in order to maintain a coherent narration at least on the audio part. I get that.

But if the goal is to create a visually appealing movie that provides adequate representation of the whole action, several independent camera men with no involvement with the playing are a must, ideally one for each side who is at liberty to hop from one unit to the next, wherever the action is.

Another thing: Largely identical graphics/details settings would also be helpful. It probably doesn't matter that much whether the shadow map leve is at four or five, or at three or four. But whether or not HDR blooming is active does make a difference, of course. Also the absence of full-screen antialiasing (or its presence).

But if the goal is to create a visually appealing movie that provides adequate representation of the whole action, several independent camera men with no involvement with the playing are a must, ideally one for each side who is at liberty to hop from one unit to the next, wherever the action is.

Fully agree hence my earlier comment about needing 6 (1 per CT [the Germans and helicopters are both "blue"], 1 for Ukraine, 1 for RusFed).

But we have maybe 1 now.

Absolutely no one has volunteered for the job in the manning list above and its just by chance that I dropped a hint at last weekend's Pz Btl 911 test event - unsure if its been taken up.

So assuming that person can make it it will have to be single perspective (admittedly if they went Blue we could let them observe from the FO vehicle but I don't really want a CT to lose access to fires because a cameraman went too far for the shot and was).

• Members

This sounds like an ideal activity for "battlefield tourists"/"beginner players" to me, as long as they maintain the attitude to observe as if they had a camera rolling (which in fact they do), giving emphasis on the 3D view, smooth camera movements, going wherever the action is (which does not necessarily mean gunfire, as scouting can be a form of action as well). Maybe the CT commanders should give them hints.

Map views are best recorded after the show from the AAR file, also possible clip inserts from the AAR 3D world view, so nobody needs to feel compelled putting emphasis to that.

• Members

In the end, whatever is done depends on the goal of the film and the available assets. If there's only a single camera guy, by necessity the emphasis must be on the actual AAR file rather than capturing the action from multiple angles.

Currently these are the people who have indicated a desire to participate, categorised by "nationality":

People in Blue have confirmed.

If you can't recall which unit is which, please refer to the first two posts in this thread or alternatively grab your copy of the "Battle Book":

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=20607

Various:

Panzer Leader,

Mudpi*, (haven't heard from him since)

Myself,

Tac197,

pkcav39

Guns:

Needs to control the fires and manoeuvre the on map Artillery units - Tacbat / Grenny + ?

Echelon:

Needs to provide 2nd line support to the CTs. This has less vehicles post "restructure" but still important. - Azure Lion

Engineers:

Provides bridging, recovery and breaching support to the CTs. - Swordsmandk

Formation Recce:

Point of the spear. Advancing to contact and trying to find friend and foe. Eyes of the CTs.

V29 - Vacant

V29A - Panzer_Leader

Various - Tac197

Germans CT ACHILLES

Chef - D u k e

2IC (understudy Chef, Admin)- Naggarond?

I/2. - Falli, Erazor, Ricopico, LtDan

II/2. - Eisenschwein, Gladiator, Mr Burns2

III/2. - Froggy, Induction, Darklabor, Tom83

US CT ODYSSEUS

66C - dta delta

65C (understudy CO, Admin)- Rotareneg

1/C - MDF

2/C - enigma6584

3/C - Connaugh

4/C - RedWardancer

UK CT PERSEUS

29 - Hoggydog

2IC (understudy OC, Admin)- Hedgehog

22 - CR2 Commander

23 -

T12 - Tjay, Volcano, TankHunter

64 - Bogusheadbox TBC

89 - Viper-3

Canadians CT HECTOR

29 - 12Alfa

2IC (understudy OC, Admin)- Brun

21 - Colebrook

22 - Tacom, Tango29

I23 - Kingtiger

Aviation CT PEGASUS:

Chef/1. - Vacant

2IC (understudy OC, Admin)- Vacant

I./1. and II./1. (Euro Tiger) -

III./1. (MRH-90) -

1/A and 2/A (AH-64) - Killjoy

3/A (UH-60) -

4/A (CH-47) -

I./4. (UAV)- Vacant

BLUE = Confirmed

If you aren't BLUE you need to talk to me.

GREEN = Leave

ORANGE = Uncertain

Edited by Gibsonm

Mark

I'd be happy to take a CR2 in CT Perseus under Hoggdog if that's OK with you.

Absolutely! *

Pretty good fit I'd have thought (Brits manning Brit kit).

Given the orange there now though, you might end up Troop Leading. ;)

* Well its actually Hoggydog's call as the CT OC, but I'll put you in the slot and he can leave you there or move you around. :)

Currently these are the people who have indicated a desire to participate, categorised by "nationality":

People in Blue have confirmed.

If you can't recall which unit is which, please refer to the first two posts in this thread or alternatively grab your copy of the "Battle Book":

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=20607

Various:

Panzer Leader,

Mudpi*, (haven't heard from him since)

Myself,

Tac197,

pkcav39

Guns:

Needs to control the fires and manoeuvre the on map Artillery units - Tacbat / Grenny + ?

Echelon:

Needs to provide 2nd line support to the CTs. This has less vehicles post "restructure" but still important. - Azure Lion

Engineers:

Provides bridging, recovery and breaching support to the CTs. - Swordsmandk

Formation Recce:

Point of the spear. Advancing to contact and trying to find friend and foe. Eyes of the CTs.

V29 - Vacant

V29A - Panzer_Leader

Various - Tac197

Germans CT ACHILLES

Chef - D u k e

2IC (understudy Chef, Admin)- Naggarond?

I/2. - Falli, Erazor, Ricopico, LtDan

II/2. - Eisenschwein, Gladiator, Mr Burns2

III/2. - Froggy, Induction, Darklabor, Tom83

US CT ODYSSEUS

66C - dta delta

65C (understudy CO, Admin)- Rotareneg

1/C - MDF

2/C - enigma6584, VKing

3/C - Connaugh

4/C - RedWardancer

UK CT PERSEUS

29 - Hoggydog

2IC (understudy OC, Admin)- Hedgehog

22 - CR2 Commander

23 -

T12 - Tjay, Volcano, TankHunter

64 - Bogusheadbox TBC

89 - Viper-3

Canadians CT HECTOR

29 - 12Alfa

2IC (understudy OC, Admin)- Brun

21 - Colebrook

22 - Tacom, Tango29

I23 - Kingtiger

Aviation CT PEGASUS:

Chef/1. - Vacant

2IC (understudy OC, Admin)- Vacant

I./1. and II./1. (Euro Tiger) -

III./1. (MRH-90) -

1/A and 2/A (AH-64) - Killjoy

3/A (UH-60) -

4/A (CH-47) -

I./4. (UAV)- Vacant

BLUE = Confirmed

If you aren't BLUE you need to talk to me.

GREEN = Leave

ORANGE = Uncertain

Edited by Gibsonm