M60E4 test

Hedgehog

If we did, then the coax would take a lot longer to malfunction. :)

Thats my point.

If the M240 can outperform the M60E4, then why does it go: phlurgh

after 50 rounds???

With the M240 outperforming the M60 then one should be able to empty the entire ready bin of an M1 without a jam/stoppage, the only thing that should happen is the range should be affected as the barrel heats up.

I'm failing to see why esim does this stupid "coax is down" every minute.

Thats my point.

If the M240 can outperform the M60E4, then why does it go: phlurgh

after 50 rounds???

With the M240 outperforming the M60 then one should be able to empty the entire ready bin of an M1 without a jam/stoppage, the only thing that should happen is the range should be affected as the barrel heats up.

I'm failing to see why esim does this stupid "coax is down" every minute.

thats because the MG3 behaves that way. high ROF, and frequent stoppages.

you have to fire it in bursts to avoid it overheating, and after 250 rounds of burst fire you usually change the barrel.

Well, note that there is a second man there feeding the rounds so they don't get snagged on the feed lip, and the gun looks fairly steady and isn't bouncing around.

I gather that coax ammunition feed boxes require a fairly complex arrangement of the belt to allow the gun to feed correctly, with the huge 4000 round box on the M1 sometimes being a bit picky.

If you allow that the MG3 has overheating related stoppages/barrel change requirement, the M1 has feed issues, and all guns are subject to misfires/duds, then IMO it is probably better for a training POV to have a few extras than to assume the coax is always 'ready'

No form of immidiate action performed on a coax MG will ever take as long as it does in SB. The MG goes down for like..what? 3 minutes or something?

The kind of fix is instantenous (thats why its called IMMIDIATE ACTION). Should be no more than 20 seconds to fix any type of malfunction.

I know in the M1, most malfunctions can be fixed just by charging the weapon (very simple to do - just pull the wire charging handle)

Huh, 3 mins?

I've seen coax jams dissapear before the 'bloke' has finished saying its down...

Selecting main/coax or going to max elevation seem to help, or at least make it feel like you are doing something while you wait ;)

Having said that, I've also seen the coax re-jam two rounds after it is back in action... Fortunately the RPG gunner chose that second to pop his head up, so I didn't need it right away, but it could have been awkward :)

Ok all coax guns sometimes jam up and all are relatively easy to clear however what happens when you have a chambered round and the ejector wont clear it.

First for safety you would have to wait ten mins so the round does not cook off and secondly removeing it would entail at least removing the barrell let alone if it was cool enough to handle??

Irish

Only problem I ever had with the swedish version of the M240 was that once I was stupid and layed the ammo belt down on the ground so it feded up gras together with the ammo, anyone smarter then me can figure out that would jam sooner or later :frown:

I dont understand why the powers that be dont put water cooling jackets on the coaxial machineguns on tanks--weight is not an issue there, and with almost 12000 rounds of ready ammunition on the M1 series (more in the bustle etc) there is quite a lot for sustained bursts....

Because thats seen as old hat, dear boy.

Well its probaly how the hell do you fill it up without water going everywhere?

H2O and ballistic computers don't really mix.

you think the ballistic computer is so badly sealed a little water is going to make it break?

for a comparison, here's a milspec laptop, the toughbook:

panasonic-toughbook-y5-rugged-laptop-glass.png