Newbie! Just joined today

RedWardancer

Long time player of the original Steel Beasts. Loved it. No other tank sim compares to this one, only the Panzer Elite Gold comes close but that deals with WW2. My copy is shipping out, should get it Friday, the start of spring break (I'm graduating in May). I'll revisit the tutorials for a month to gain back the groove. But online play is something I have NEVER done before. I did download Teamspeak today, but from there, I'll need help. I was former US Infantryman, served in the 1991 Gulf War. This means that once I start online team play, I'll be the whipping boy and run the mech infantry :). Somebody has to be the team player right? :clin: But first, I must graduate so my playtime will be limited.

Eager to make new acquaintances with you all.

Sincerely,

The RedWardancer

Hi, Red,

Welcome to the group! You should have no problems getting up to speed, both with SB and TeamSpeak. Lots of guys here can give you a hand. Your military background will help, especially as the infantry in SB is getting better and better. Equally, you'll find a number of military and ex-military members here from a fair number of countries: USA, Canada, UK, Australia, Germany, Finland, Spain...you get the idea!

Looking forward to meeting you online!

Button up dammit!!! I've watched about eight battles so far, seen more dead TC's than anything :c:

Yup, it looks really dramatic to motor along out of the hatch up to your waist, chatting on the radio and binos at the ready.

Not terribly safe, though!

Keep your eyes on the playing field! Watched several players spend way too much time on the map menu directing units, not paying attention to the enemy right in front of them, only to see units get blown up and can't figure out why or how.

EXAMPLE: Player running a recon company of US M3 Cavalry. He kept using the map menu but wouldn't engage and destroy enemy vehicles even though they were within one click from an active unit. I heard him say often to the CO, "Oops, just lost another Bradley."

SOLUTION: If it's in my sights and within range...ENGAGE!!!!:c:

You may find yourself in much the same situation in a game where you've got several, or many, individual icons spread over a wide frontage. What you saw was probably not so much a "wouldn't engage" situation as a situation where he was trying to keep abreast of what was in his large AOR and was not manning the vehicle that came across an enemy contact. By the time he saw it the engagement had taken place. This can happen when you're on a side that has many forces but few players. One infantry platoon, fully dismounted and deaggregated, will give you something in the neighbourhood of thirty individual icons to control,all at the same time. That would be about one hundred icons in a company. Things do get busy at times! :)

Keep your eyes on the playing field! Watched several players spend way too much time on the map menu directing units, not paying attention to the enemy right in front of them...

This also highlights the need to find a good, hull down battle position before doing anything else. It's generally not a good idea to sit in the middle of an open field, staring at a map when the enemy is within range. In my experience, finding and using good BPs and having alternates to move to can mean the difference between surviving and...not.

Sometimes it can also be useful to shut down your engine and have a listen while you look at the map. If you hear vehicles when there are no friendlies around, it's time to look up! :)

Having said all that, sometimes you're just out of luck. :gun: :eek2:

This also highlights the need to find a good, hull down battle position before doing anything else. It's generally not a good idea to sit in the middle of an open field, staring at a map when the enemy is within range.

You mean I cant stay out in the open anymore? or even on the very top of a hilltpop????????????? man, whats this world coming to??????

I might get it in this weekend which will be too late to join in. I'm pretty sure I will need some time to run through some tutorials and gunnery practice. Haven't played in about ten years. I knew this might happen :c:. So, I'll watch more battle posts this weekend. Maybe the TGIF will be a good one or someone else's engagement. Keep 'em coming folks!

Tank gunnery sucks. For some reason, they sure miss a lot of shots: hundreds of meters short or over regardless of the lasing. No matter how well I lase and keep the scope on the target, the shots miss. I spent dozens of hours on the gunnery ranges with the M1A1 and M1A2, not good. I have noticed the AI gunners fair little better.

SUMMARY: Don't shoot until you see the unit designation on their fenders!

That or use more arty :gun:

• Members
Tank gunnery sucks. For some reason, they sure miss a lot of shots: hundreds of meters short or over regardless of the lasing.

Let me guess: You're shooting from the M1, and it happens when the target type switches from tank to personnel carrier, or the other way?

Tank gunnery sucks. For some reason, they sure miss a lot of shots: hundreds of meters short or over regardless of the lasing. No matter how well I lase and keep the scope on the target, the shots miss. I spent dozens of hours on the gunnery ranges with the M1A1 and M1A2, not good. I have noticed the AI gunners fair little better.

SUMMARY: Don't shoot until you see the unit designation on their fenders!

That or use more arty :gun:

So did you bypass the Tutorials on Gunnery and just drive to the firing point?

Based on the " I spent dozens of hours on the gunnery ranges with the M1A1 and M1A2, not good" comment are you following this sequence:

Dump Lead - "p" key

Index correct ammo

Lead if a mover

Lase then

Fire?

Even when I wasn't controlling the gunner, they still missed and missed often. I would get lots of flashing range figures many times. When they are standing still, I'm good. But on the move...:mad3:

The one exception were TOW's from the Bradleys. But gunnery with any type of cannon against moving targets have been found wanting.

Sequence of action:

Spot

Laze

Follow the target

Fire (miss)

#$%^@!!!:mad3:

Laze again

Flashing ranges

%$#@*:mad3:

Fire (miss)

#@*&%!!!:mad3:

Laze again