Newbie! Just joined today

RedWardancer

KILLS THOSE HINDS!!!!

Never been on the receiving end of an airstrike before and those attack helos are just plain vicious. Working on a classical scenario, "Hasty Defense 03" and the Soviets threw three of those nasties at me!!! I didn't have any ADA so my only hope were the 25mm guns on the Bradleys. Ouch.

Lesson #6: Running a full company or more SUCKS!!!!

Too much to keep track of for one person. Either I need more field time or it just doesn't work all that well. :cool3:

One week until kickoff for the big Rising Thunder party!!!

Lesson #6: Running a full company or more SUCKS!!!!

Too much to keep track of for one person. Either I need more field time or it just doesn't work all that well. :cool3:

Well, it's a combination of both, I think. IMO, the gameplay experience goes way downhill if I'm trying to control anything other than a single platoon. And even then, I still prefer to control just a single vehicle. No AI yet devised for a desktop PC sim is good enough to operate a vehicle, let alone a unit, as well as a halfway competent human, so lots of the immersion factor goes out the window. That's why I prefer multiplayer and why I've been doing what I can lately to stir up online participants.

With that said, practice does help. Once the UI becomes second nature and you start to understand AI behavior, commanding multiple units becomes less an exercise in "WTF is happening?!" and frantic mouse-clicking.

Perhaps more importantly, you should familiarize yourself with the various scripting tools available during the Planning Phase. You can do an "execution preparation of the battlespace" as I call it. Put together a flexible battle plan with different routes, BPs, fire control settings, etc. using triggers, conditions, and events to implement them during play as the situation develops. It helps you be more efficient during play and alleviates the "one-legged guy in an ass-kicking tournament" feeling you get when the span of command exceeds the single-vehicle level. Plus, it's an interesting exercise in and of itself. Of course, it does take quite a bit of time, especially in the beginning when you're figuring out the subtleties of the scripting tools. (Make sure you save your plan before mission start!) There is some very useful advice here: Wiki article on Planning Phase

RedWarrior...

Sequence of action:

Spot

Laze

Follow the target

Continue lazing

Apply lead

Fire (Kill)

Spot next target

Laze

Follow the target

Continue lazing

Apply lead

BOOM!!!! ANOTHER KILL!!!

Practice leading in the tutorials

That's how I learned

Oh and BTW my weapon of choice is a Leo2E :)

• 5 weeks later...

Perhaps more importantly, you should familiarize yourself with the various scripting tools available during the Planning Phase. You can do an "execution preparation of the battlespace" as I call it. Put together a flexible battle plan with different routes, BPs, fire control settings, etc. using triggers, conditions, and events to implement them during play as the situation develops. It helps you be more efficient during play and alleviates the "one-legged guy in an ass-kicking tournament" feeling you get when the span of command exceeds the single-vehicle level. Plus, it's an interesting exercise in and of itself. Of course, it does take quite a bit of time, especially in the beginning when you're figuring out the subtleties of the scripting tools. (Make sure you save your plan before mission start!) There is some very useful advice here: Wiki article on Planning Phase

+1. A good example would be if you knew your task was to take a company of Mech Inf to certain location - a large wood, say- and clear it of enemy. You don't want to drive your vehicles up to the objective, dismount them and then have them milling about in the open while you sort out their routes. So... In the planning phase lay down as many waypoints and routes as you think you will require to do the job. (You don't necessarily need one per squad). Then, when you have debussed your troops you can quickly give them short routes from their debussed locations around the vehicles to the start waypoints - and off they will go. You may also wish to pre-plan 'retreat' routes for the vehicles so they can get back into cover as soon as the troops have dismounted.

This is just one example of how planning and preparation can help you handle multiple units.

Btw, although SB uses Planning Phase to indicate the bit before the game starts (Execution Phase) there are often pauses between phases of an operation - particularly if it's an attack - while units regroup and reorganise. This is the time to put down your routes for the next move - once your C.O has told you what that is, of course.

During the planning phase, I just setup battle points all over the place and route to them as needed on the run. Otherwise, I would spend hours plotting out routes according to some sort of intricate battleplan that inevitably falls apart.