Any mod/scenario Recommendations

Saferight

Got the month long trial 2 days ago and so far loving it. I am kind of overwhelmed by the amount user made stuff (which is a good thing) and was wondering if the community had any recommendations on what they feels is required mods/scenarios.

Assuming you're willing to start up with the M1A1, here is my recommended "curriculum" for new players:

M1A1 suggested curriculum

Note that instead of the classic "Tanks!" mission in step 4 of the "curriculum," I am now recommending my own version of the mission: "Tanks! Again" :bigsmile:

This is good stuff. I remember the learning curve for the SB Gold being tough and sometimes was frustrated with the tutorials. Now that PE has been out and the forums exists, I will be more motivated to play and learn. Not sure if I can go online by March 21 though, depends on mid-terms, when the game arrives and when I can buy my control stick.

Here are some starter missions I recommended to a friend of mine via e-mail a while ago...

Instant Action Ambush - Starts with you in a tank section with several tanks coming around the corner. Very good for the commander/gunner controls and targeting and firing type stuff. Also helps with small-unit movement. You also get arty.

Defense in Depth - Just you commanding your platoon, a long string of waypoints has already been set for you. you just choose when to embark on them. Very good for remembering what key does what, and how the controls work. You'll have to create your own routes near the end.

Rock, Scissors, Paper - Another defense mission, do after you've done Defense in Depth a time or two. This time you get two platoons, artillery, and you have to make up all your own routes. Also get to choose which of two channels between woodlands you want to defend. If you do it well, you get to counterattack at the end. Good for experimenting with a few management tactics.

Operation Line Drive - I'd say equivalent difficulty to Rock Scissors Paper, except you are attacking, rather than defending.

I would also recommend getting used to the F7 commander view. Some people like the F8 external view more, but I much prefer the control I get with F7 commander view.

This is good stuff. I remember the learning curve for the SB Gold being tough and sometimes was frustrated with the tutorials. Now that PE has been out and the forums exists, I will be more motivated to play and learn. Not sure if I can go online by March 21 though, depends on mid-terms, when the game arrives and when I can buy my control stick.

A control stick is definitely not necessary. The mouse works better for aiming in some respects, and if you've got one with the extra buttons on the side, you can use these (plus the other three buttons) in conjunction with Shift, Ctrl and Alt to get a reasonable degree of HOTAS for the most important controls (for me, optics field-of-view, day/thermal channel, ammo selection, and gunner/TC/map view).

• 3 weeks later...
Here are some starter missions I recommended to a friend of mine via e-mail a while ago...

Instant Action Ambush - Starts with you in a tank section with several tanks coming around the corner. Very good for the commander/gunner controls and targeting and firing type stuff. Also helps with small-unit movement. You also get arty.

Defense in Depth - Just you commanding your platoon, a long string of waypoints has already been set for you. you just choose when to embark on them. Very good for remembering what key does what, and how the controls work. You'll have to create your own routes near the end.

Rock, Scissors, Paper - Another defense mission, do after you've done Defense in Depth a time or two. This time you get two platoons, artillery, and you have to make up all your own routes. Also get to choose which of two channels between woodlands you want to defend. If you do it well, you get to counterattack at the end. Good for experimenting with a few management tactics.

Operation Line Drive - I'd say equivalent difficulty to Rock Scissors Paper, except you are attacking, rather than defending.

I would also recommend getting used to the F7 commander view. Some people like the F8 external view more, but I much prefer the control I get with F7 commander view.

Just curious.

Where is the "Instant Action - Ambush" scenario?

Since I upgraded to SB3, I haven't been able to find it.

"Instant Action" selection just puts you in a single tank in a minefield, to be eventually creamed by a continuous onslaught. Lots of fun in it's own way. But I liked the regular Ambush scenario where you have 2 MBTs, outside view, movement options, etc., to take on an advancing column of enemy armor.

Didn't find it in any of the other offline scenario files and 'search' comes up negative.

Thanks

ceedub