So I just moved

purpheart23

The packers came and packed all of my stuff up in pa. I have recently opened and emptied every box i have, but alas, no dongle. So who do i need to talk to about having it replaced so i'm not sitting on a $125 peice of software that i can't even use? By the by, i love this sim.

Yes, the dongle is just a piece of electronics, the license, on the other hand is the 'software'. Without registering the license with Wibu/Codemeter, there is no way to disable the previous version, so the lost codemeter stick cannot be 'cancelled'.

If you have 'only' lost the piece of plastic, it can be replaced easily and cheaply. If you have lost both your license and the physical dongle, then you are out of luck, as you have lost your 'software' too.

If you haven't already, I'd strongly recommend registering the licenses you hold :)

Just an aside... but if this item was broken/lost by a removals company, do they have insurance/or indeed do you have home/contents insurance that may cover this type of loss? Obviously the $125 value would have to be significantly above the excess.

It does occur to me...

If purchasing second hand, do make sure you get the license registration transferred to you and ensure that the log-in details are changed. Just to protect yourself against 'your' license being re-activated on a new dongle.

I'm not 100% sure about how to go about this, but the license is in effect "the software", not the codemeter stick, or the CD.

Yep, forgot that... but if your computer goes on the fritz and takes the Codemeter stick and the HDD with it (or someone nicks it), your backup goes too... Registering the stick and licenses with Wibu, at least means that you can recover your expensive software with minimal trouble once you've got everything else sorted :)

I never even thought of registering my license, but I did so immediately after reading this thread! :shocked:

Usually registering only gives you loads of spam, advertisement and other crap I am not really looking forward to, but in this case I'll run the risk of getting Codemeter spam. ;)

• Members

I'm not aware that Wibu System sends out advertisement to registered customers (or that they are trading customer information; if you think you have indicators that they do, please let me know).

Generally, if nobody is to blame but you for the loss or destruction of a CodeMeter stick and if you still have the installation CD and the manual, we will offer you a $20.- discount to purchase a new stick with a license (how are we supposed to know that you really lost it and not sold just the CM stick with the license on eBay, or gave it to a friend?)

If you have a convincing story to tell - one guy lost his house in a fire and sent us a scan with a local newspaper article describing it - we usually apply our principles with less rigor.

If the stick gets stolen, in principle that's your problem still. But, if you have registered it and if you then report it through the CodeMeter web site, and if the thief then runs a CodeMeter protected application while connected to the internet, Wibu Systems will remotely lock the key. Once that we have a confirmation of this we can supply you with a new stick and license for the mere cost of material replacement and shipping. (If the thief never connects to the internet, you're out of luck though. The same goes for a simple loss, unless there is a finder who uses it just out of sheer curiosity; the likelihood may be high or small, depending on the circumstances).

If you want to transfer your license to somebody else who already owns a CodeMeter stick, we will assist you. You both send us the Wibu Control File of your owned sticks, then we send out a new license file to the old owner that has the SB Pro license removed (you send us another Control File as a proof that you applied it), then the new owner gets his license file by email and installs the license on his stick. That way licenses can be traded without the need to physically swap sticks. Otherwise you just sell the package as you got it from us, and it doesn't even require our involvement. You should however pass on eventual registration data at Wibu's registration server so that the new owner can change it.

If your stick is defective and you mail it in, we will send you a new stick with license. For free at least within 36 months of purchase, eventually longer (that would depend on Wibu System's courtesy since we pass on defective sticks to them and get free replacement sticks in return; they want to analyse them for quality assurance reasons). After the warranty period is over we may need to charge you for the material costs of the stick, but we will still provide you with a free license.

Ssnake: I have no indication of spam from Codemeter. I was just referring to registering in general. ;) But still I will let you know if I do suspect spam coming from them.

Hedge: I think you then have to send the stick to Codemeter to prove its faulty? In that case you'll probably get a new one, right?

As I read SSnakes post:

If the stick is faulty, (and this is confirmed by Wibu after you have exchanged the CMDust reports if applicable) then you return the stick to Esimgames, who will replace it by return from their stock.

The dead/dying stick is shipped to Wibu by Esim who use it for technical improvements and Esim receives a replacement stick to their stock.

• Members
What does one do if the Cm stick goes wrong?

and one has registered it with the CM site?

No other than the standard procedure. You contact us, mail it in (be sure to include your address, and to use sturdy packaging (not just a paper envelope), and if you want to be extra cautious you send it as a registered letter.

We send back a new one, and you register the new one as well. Plain and simple. :)