Port Forwarding

shaddock

Hi there, I heard a rumor, that in a few months, there will be an upgrade to the software in which port forwarding will no longer be needed. Is this true and is there an eta?

For me and my situation this is a deal breaker for buying the game. Or at least being able to play online.

Here are the posts mentioning that:

Speaking of which, we are preparing an Open Beta test with a version where DirectPlay will be replaced with a new network stack. This should be particularly good for Windows 8.1 users that currently have trouble logging on to network sessions. After the test has been successfully completed we will probably consolidate it into another (free) update, probably in about three to four months.
Is the new network code going to eliminate the port-forwarding requirement?

Yes. :cool3:

Welcome shaddock!,

It will hopefully remove "port forwarding" by the client.

However a machine acting as a server will still require "port forwarding" to be configured properly.

Admittedly most MP participants are by definition clients, but those aspiring to host connections as servers still need to ensure they sort it out.

Also note its an "Open Beta" so it may or may not work and other things may be "broken" by using it.

I believe its still a couple/few months away yet.

Yes but whatever you choose, both parties need to use the same thing.

You can have a server connected via "real" Internet to other "real" internet clients.

The same server can run Hamachi and other Hamachi clients can join (i.e. the server is supporting a mix of real and Hamachi clients).

But if someone else turns up with wippien or tinc, then they can't join.

Does this mean that for the upcoming April 5 game that a player using hamachi can join also?

Ex. Now

I have a friend that can't port forward his connection. We normally use hamachi to connect to each other.

I can port forward mine and can join normal games. He can't since he is using hamachi.

Is there a possibility for him to join via hamachi?

It means that with the upcoming patch, a player that can't port forward his connection can join a normal game. This connection does not use hamachi, weather you have installed it or not does not matter.

For your example:

With the upcoming patch, your friend would be able to join a normal game without doing port forwarding. So there is no need for him to use Hamachi.

He will still not be able to Host a Game session (act as server).

Hey thanks for the replies! I guess I just have to wait then. And it looks like I still won't be able to host, but at least I'd be able to play.

And waiting won't be a problem for me, more time to practice. Lord knows I need it :biggrin:

It means that with the upcoming patch, a player that can't port forward his connection can join a normal game. This connection does not use hamachi, weather you have installed it or not does not matter.

For your example:

With the upcoming patch, your friend would be able to join a normal game without doing port forwarding. So there is no need for him to use Hamachi.

He will still not be able to Host a Game session (act as server).

Yeah but I am thinking now! Can he join game like April 5th game with hamachi ?

Yeah but I am thinking now! Can he join game like April 5th game with hamachi ?

Well, depends on how you put it.

Will he be able to join the game via the Hamachi network? Most definatly not, as long as the server is not using the hamachi network.

Will he be able to join the game via the internet while having hamachi installed? Yeah, he most likely will be able to with the patch.

Also Asid tried to help me set up Hamachi, but it wouldn't work either. The conclusion was the same firewall preventing me from port forwarding is also blocking Hamachi from working.

Nope setting up an exception to Steel Beasts or Hamachi is a no go as well. I've been denied permissions from the powers that be :frown:

Also Asid tried to help me set up Hamachi, but it wouldn't work either. The conclusion was the same firewall preventing me from port forwarding is also blocking Hamachi from working.

Nope setting up an exception to Steel Beasts or Hamachi is a no go as well. I've been denied permissions from the powers that be :frown:

Well - TURN THE FIREWALL OFF for the period you want to play Steel Beasts.

Unfortunately that is not an option either. I am denied the passwords to do so. A certain spouse is waaaaaaayyyyy to security conscience to allow such a thing. Nothing is allowed to get through the great firewall!

Well, if you can browse https secured websites, there might be a good chance that you can get it to work via a https SSL-VPN client.

But that would require a little bit of knowledge on how to set things up.