Generic Application Error, help please!

StrykerPSG

Having a few weeks of convalescent leave before returning to work, I wanted o get back into SB. I downloaded and installed 3.011 over the older 3.02 without incident. The Codemeter software automatically updated as well. I then clicked on the desktop short cut and got these multiple error messages:

56e83d001544e_ErrorMessage1.PNG.000b1f40

56e83d00174b5_ErrorMessage2.PNG.ed290673

56e83d0018df6_ErrorMessage3.PNG.6699431b

56e83d001544e_ErrorMessage1.PNG.000b1f40

56e83d00174b5_ErrorMessage2.PNG.ed290673

56e83d0018df6_ErrorMessage3.PNG.6699431b

Admittedly I only played a few scenarios when 3.002 was released a few months ago and it worked without issues. I decided a few months later to try it again and really dwell into the inner workings of one vehicle and then received the posted error messages. I then assumed that because there was an update out, that perhaps that was causing the error. So, updated to 3.011 and still got the same messages. I then deleted all and reinstalled 3.002, then 3.011 and still the same messages. So, a bit of a bust right now in getting it to work.

I am hoping this can be quickly resolved as I have a nice chunk of convalescent vacation for the next few weeks to enjoy something this detailed.

Thanks

reinstalling DirectX 9.0c will fix the problem.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

on that page click on Download, No Thanks and Continue on the next page, and then Run.

for me that web installer version didn't work. I downloaded the "redistributable" version of DirectX 9.0c here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

download the file, click on it, and extract the contents to a folder of your choice.

go to that folder and click on the DXSETUP icon to install it.

reinstalling DirectX 9.0c will fix the problem.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

on that page click on Download, No Thanks and Continue on the next page, and then Run.

for me that web installer version didn't work. I downloaded the "redistributable" version of DirectX 9.0c here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

download the file, click on it, and extract the contents to a folder of your choice.

go to that folder and click on the DXSETUP icon to install it.

I deleted everything, including the Codemeter files, rolled back my video drivers to previous version and re-started my computer. I then re-installed 3.011, it installed the latest Codemeter files and I tried to start....same 3 screens as posted originally. I then installed DX9.0c into my SB Pro directory under it's own folder, ran setup, re-booted and again, same 3 screens as originally posted. I then updated my Nvidia drivers to the latest version via Geforce experience, re-booted and tried again. Same 3 screens.

So....what has changed since 3.02 that would cause me to get nothing but the same error screens? This is so flippin frustrating because it's all usually resolved via a re-install and yet after re-installing all, I still have nothing.

Any idea's or similar tragedies of woe that have been overcome, please chime in. I know PVT Kramer and Lt Default are trying, but surely more have encountered a similar hang up and overcome it. Thanks in advance.

the system requirements have increased for SB3.002. it requires a better video card than previous versions, in that a card with Shader 3.0 support is needed.

in this post "Quagmire" is having the same problem as you, with 3.002:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=19642

at the bottom of the first page of that post you can see "Quagmire's" log file which reports his problem is most likely caused by the video card in his laptop.

it would be helpful to know what video card you have?

SB creates a log file that might contain information about the cause of the problem. depending on the version of Windows you are using it is in a folder in your Documents or My Documents folder.

My Documents>\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\logs

or with Windows 7: \Documents\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\logs

Hope this helps. My apologies for both forgetting to post and not refining my search to find the mentioned thread.

Alienware M17xR4 laptop

MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Intel Core i7-3820QM @ 2.70 GHz (8CPUs)

32GB RAM

NVIDIA Geforce GTX 675M (4095MB)

Debug Log 3-26-2014

[14:14:28,645] WARN : -------------------------------

[14:14:28,645] WARN : Steel Beasts Log File v3.011

[14:14:28,646] WARN : Wed Mar 26 14:14:28 2014

/ 5412

[14:14:28,646] WARN : -------------------------------

[14:14:33,872] ERROR: CreateDevice FAILED. hr = 0x80070057

[14:14:33,872] ERROR: Initialize3DEnvironment failed: USING REFERENCE RASTERIZER

[14:14:33,877] ERROR: Generic application error

Switching to the reference rasterizer,

a software device that implements the entire

Direct3D feature set, but runs very slowly.

[14:14:35,549] ERROR: Warning: Nothing will be rendered.

The reference rendering device was selected, but your

computer only has a reduced-functionality reference device

installed. Install the DirectX SDK to get the full

reference device.

[14:14:36,348] ERROR: CreateDevice FAILED. hr = 0x8876086A

[14:14:36,348] ERROR: Initialize3DEnvironment failed: USING REFERENCE RASTERIZER

[14:14:36,348] ERROR: UserSelectNewDevice failed: Initialize3DEnvironment 0x8876086A

[14:14:36,348] ERROR: Generic application error

This program will now exit.

[14:14:37,653] WARN : Done

I also tried the Video Stress Test tool, and it sadly fails also. I'm not certain if that means my card is dead, as it has the mobo video back up for running on battery. All my other games run fine with maxed settings or very close to it at least, so suspect the video card is ok. Also, Nvidia's Geforce Experience detects the drivers and says all is ok with that aspect as well as current video driver.

There have been a few video updates since 3.02 was released. I will see if rolling back helps as well.

I had an Alienware laptop.

it had both an integrated onboard video chip + a real Nvidia video card.

your laptop has the same setup.

your problem could be caused by SB trying to run on the onboard video chip when you really need it to run on your NVIDIA Geforce GTX 675M.

this video shows you how to set SB so that it uses the Geforce GTX 675M.

the SB .exe is in the eSim Games\SB Pro PE\Release folder. it is named SBProPEcm

DzGugS05wo0

to save energy, laptops run on the integrated video chip. you can set SB to use the GTX 675M in the Nvidia Control Panel for your video card drivers.

Nvidia has named this functionality - Nvidia Optimus Technology.

I had an Alienware laptop.

it had both an integrated onboard video chip + a real Nvidia video card.

your laptop has the same setup.

your problem could be caused by SB trying to run on the onboard video chip when you really need it to run on your NVIDIA Geforce GTX 675M.

this video shows you how to set SB so that it uses the Geforce GTX 675M.

the SB .exe is in the eSim Games\SB Pro PE\Release folder. it is named SBProPEcm

to save energy, laptops run on the integrated video chip. you can set SB to use the GTX 675M in the Nvidia Control Panel for your video card drivers.

Nvidia has named this functionality - Nvidia Optimus Technology.

I've tried this as well, on the High Performance Nvidia Processor setting and Use global settings (High Performance Nvidia Processor) mode as well, just to eliminate any issues.

I've also rolled back my driver to 327.23 and still the same 3 messages. This is absolutely killing me with nothing working.

in my post #7 I linked to 2 possible downloads of DirectX 9.0c.

did you use the second one, which is the "full" version? extract the files to a folder and then go to that folder and click on DXSETUP to install it?

I ask this because your Log file says: "Install the DirectX SDK to get the full reference device."

that second version of DirectX 9.0c, that I linked to, is the SDK version.

in my post #7 I linked to 2 possible downloads of DirectX 9.0c.

did you use the second one, which is the "full" version? extract the files to a folder and then go to that folder and click on DXSETUP to install it?

I ask this because your Log file says: "Install the DirectX SDK to get the full reference device."

that second version of DirectX 9.0c, that I linked to, is the SDK version.

I did use both links and as you, saved the 2nd one and used it as well. I installed this in a folder under my SB Pro directory. Thanks for the idea. I am considering another complete deletion and would like to know if someone has a sterilized version of installing everything from scratch sort of checklist. I know it's basic, but I don't seem to have it right.

you say you saved the second one to your SB folder.

the file you downloaded needs to be clicked on and you extract the contents to a folder and then open that folder and click on the DXSETUP icon to actually install it.

I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear...I did install into the SB pro folder and opened the executable from within that folder afterwards. Still no joy.....

Do you have other contemporary games that are running without any problems on that laptop?

Yes. This one worked before the patch as well. I am going to try and install 3.002 first, then the update patch versus the full install. It's possible something in my system doesn't like the full install.

Also, when deleting the Codemeter file, is there anything I need to do with the dongle? I would expect that to be a different error code, but trying everything at this point.

OK, deleted Codemeter software, Steel Beast Pro 3.011 and re-booted my machine. I installed 3.02, Codemeter software and DirectX9.0c and re-booted. Same error message. I checked my Nvidia control panel, selected Nvidia processor only to run SB Pro and still got the 3 error messages.

What is it that I'm not doing right? Isn't there any SB Pro tech guys that have seen and resolved this before? Not that I don't admire the regular users from helping too, but this can't be a freak issue specific to me. The only difference now would be video drivers...

Trying to stay humble........thanks for all suggestions. Keep them coming please and if this has happened to you, please don't hesitate to throw what fixed your dilemma.

On the desktop, press the windows key + R to open the run dialog and paste this in it and hit ok:

%APPDATA%\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\options

It should open the settings folder for SB. Delete the options.dat file to reset Steel Beasts to the defaults and see if that helps.

On the desktop, press the windows key + R to open the run dialog and paste this in it and hit ok:

%APPDATA%\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\options

It should open the settings folder for SB. Delete the options.dat file to reset Steel Beasts to the defaults and see if that helps.

Very interesting indeed! It got SB Pro to go into windowed mode and then I could tweak the options. However, when I tried to take it out of windowed mode, it crashes. Seems to work in a stretched window, though will re-try it once I update my Nvidia driver back t it's current state. However, I'm am not beyond playing in windowed mode if that's what it takes. More to follow....

Rotar, thank you for posting that find. I am more curious as to the "why" of it now.....