Operation Fury

MDF

It looks like Volcano expended tremendous effort in 2011 to create a framework for a campaign called "Operation Fury": Op Fury Rules

Did this campaign ever get off the ground? This looked liked it could have been very interesting, but I searched the MP forum for "Fury" and found nothing.

Volcano also has a counterinsurgency campaign which looks, if anything, even more interesting than Operation Fury: Operation COIN

I have some reservations given that COIN is infantry-centric and the modeling of infantry ops in SB still has a ways to go before reaching the level of simulation of AFV ops. Still, lots of cool ideas there.

• Moderators

Ah yes, you have found my secret campaigns. Well, one of the things I do for "fun" is think up these campaigns, so if we never play them then, well, I had fun creating them. Mission accomplished there.

As for Op Fury, the bug with Centauros in network sessions is what first kept us from playing it, but that has since been fixed. Then at some point I figured it was too complicated for the community to comprehend what was going on in it (because people rarely read the rules), so I made the Red Tide campaign after it with a goal of being as simple as possible. But yes, we may yet play it as a community.

As for Op Coin, it was really made as a non-TGIF campaign - not for the main stream community. It would be more of a thinking/shell game between two commanders, with some battles here and there. I don't really know if that one will work yet, but the idea there was to make a campaign where no battles would even be required and still be "fun" from a strategic sense. Of course, like you say, more infantry enhancements would be nice to make infantry centric battles more fun.

Ah yes, you have found my secret campaigns.

OPSEC Rule #1: do not post on Wiki.:clin:

As for Op Fury, the bug with Centauros in network sessions is what first kept us from playing it, but that has since been fixed. Then at some point I figured it was too complicated for the community to comprehend what was going on in it (because people rarely read the rules), so I made the Red Tide campaign after it with a goal of being as simple as possible. But yes, we may yet play it as a community.

I understand that Red Tide was very well-received. I did read the thread about it and saw that there was some controversy over determining the FLOT based on position of HQ units. Have you ever considered using an Excel spread sheet where you track the positions of the units and use some sort of influence algorithm to determine who controls each grid square? I've been doing some musing about this lately.

As for Op Coin, it was really made as a non-TGIF campaign - not for the main stream community. It would be more of a thinking/shell game between two commanders, with some battles here and there. I don't really know if that one will work yet, but the idea there was to make a campaign where no battles would even be required and still be "fun" from a strategic sense. Of course, like you say, more infantry enhancements would be nice to make infantry centric battles more fun.

Yeah, you have to get pretty creative with the logic editor to do a vehicle checkpoint!

You might want to check out the recent board wargame "A Distant Plain" for some ideas. I think there have been one or two other recent boardgame efforts on the Afghanistan conflict recently, but can't remember specifics.

• Moderators
OPSEC Rule #1: do not post on Wiki.:clin:

Yeah, well I was joking. :)

I understand that Red Tide was very well-received. I did read the thread about it and saw that there was some controversy over determining the FLOT based on position of HQ units. Have you ever considered using an Excel spread sheet where you track the positions of the units and use some sort of influence algorithm to determine who controls each grid square? I've been doing some musing about this lately.
There wasn't any controversy as far as I was concerned, I liked the way it was and if I ever do it again it would be exactly the same way. I know some people didn't like it, but part of making a campaign is listening to criticism and recognizing what is valid and what isn't, and IMO those complaints were not valid. The best part of the feature was that it forced the COs to stay close to the fight, but yet it made their vehicles important enough to not waste -- in short it made the CO vehicles behave like COs (which was the intent). So, I think it worked perfectly.
You might want to check out the recent board wargame "A Distant Plain" for some ideas. I think there have been one or two other recent boardgame efforts on the Afghanistan conflict recently, but can't remember specifics.
Yes, I have it, own it, and the Op Coin campaign is very loosely based on some concepts in it. The other game that I know if is Labyrinth (but is the whole GWoT), which I have/own/like as well. I don't think there is a board game worth mentioning that I don't have and haven't read the rules to (my hobby is collecting board games and reading the rules, then never playing them). :luxhello:

There wasn't any controversy as far as I was concerned, I liked the way it was and if I ever do it again it would be exactly the same way. I know some people didn't like it, but part of making a campaign is listening to criticism and recognizing what is valid and what isn't, and IMO those complaints were not valid. The best part of the feature was that it forced the COs to stay close to the fight, but yet it made their vehicles important enough to not waste -- in short it made the CO vehicles behave like COs (which was the intent). So, I think it worked perfectly.

Gotcha. Honestly, I'm just looking for any excuse to use Excel because I think it's cool.

Yes, I have it, own it, and the Op Coin campaign is very loosely based on some concepts in it. The other game that I know if is Labyrinth (but is the whole GWoT), which I have/own/like as well. I don't think there is a board game worth mentioning that I don't have and haven't read the rules to

Yeah, I was gonna say that some of the mechanics in those campaigns seemed influenced by old-school board wargaming, like the various tracks for morale, the CRTs in the COIN one, etc.

After a quick look on BoardgameGeek, the other games I was thinking of were

the old Perry Moore game Afghanistan, Operation Anaconda and Decision: Iraq (yeah, I know it's Iraq and its an urban guerrilla thing rather than rural like in afghanistan, but it's still a counterinsurgency game.:)

(my hobby is collecting board games and reading the rules, then never playing them). :luxhello:
Me too, although I've cut way back in the last 10-15 years. I was one of those unfortunate souls who loved wargames growing up but had no opponents (except for one friend who could be convinced to play only on rare occasions).

Well as CO Blue I didn't have any issues with the mechanism.

• Moderators
Volcano,

It was excellent. Any chance of running it again in the near/medium future?

Yes, I would like to run it again soon. I also have a variant of it called "Red Dragon" which is also in the SBwiki somewhere, but that one is waiting on a Korea map to be finished.

I would also like to run the Top Tank Platoon tournament too, ugh so little time. :cry:

Maybe I will base the next campaign I run on a poll: Fury, Top Tank, Red Tide, Red Dragon...

• Moderators
Great to hear that. I would vote for Red Tide simply because it could be done now. Then, when the Korean map is finished, maybe we could do that one. :)

Ah, I just remembered, then there is the other issue that Red Tide turned out perfectly, it was the closest campaign in history -- it came down to the final 5 minutes of the very last scenario. In my mind it goes down as a classic, and any additional play of it would likely be down hill from that experience. If we are all willing to accept that future versions of it will likely not be so closely played, then OK, great I will probably run it again. Right now though it holds a special place in my memory though. ;)

Ah, I just remembered, then there is the other issue that Red Tide turned out perfectly, it was the closest campaign in history -- it came down to the final 5 minutes of the very last scenario. In my mind it goes down as a classic, and any additional play of it would likely be down hill from that experience. If we are all willing to accept that future versions of it will likely not be so closely played, then OK, great I will probably run it again. Right now though it holds a special place in my memory though. ;)

Personality If there were ever to be a red tide two.

I would like to see a version with some sixty/seventies era tanks

Using the T64/62/leo-1/centurion if only we had a playable M-60/T64.

But I suppose the M1 could make an acceptable stand in (same 105 gun,)

And the T-72m for the T-64 (similar 125 gun).

...Red Tide turned out perfectly, it was the closest campaign in history -- it came down to the final 5 minutes of the very last scenario. In my mind it goes down as a classic...

Big "+" to that! Just about every campaign we've played has been very good to excellent, but Red Tide was one for the ages. That was about as close as you could get after both a recce scenario and a main scenario each week for...what was it?...seven or eight weeks. I was really happy to be in that one, and I sincerely hope that we run another in the fullness of time. Perhaps have the sides switch: those originally on RED become BLUE, and vice versa? :drink:

Personality If there were ever to be a red tide two.

I would like to see a version with some sixty/seventies era tanks

Using the T64/62/leo-1/centurion if only we had a playable M-60/T64.

But I suppose the M1 could make an acceptable stand in (same 105 gun,)

And the T-72m for the T-64 (similar 125 gun).

A crewable Centurion? Love it! :)

D__bigthumbnails_disk7_874_874-IMG0.jpg