M1A2 SEP, dynamic lead?

Pigmachine

I were trying it out on the range, and dyn.lead just stops the following, what have I missed are there some ninja moves that I'm not aware of?

+a question about getting 100% on the shooting range: How the heck do you make it? I'm at 95% (since 2011! (haven't played it much lately))

Always when it seems to go my way, it loads up a heat for the last fast tank= 90% chance of me missing it.. well since I'm still at 95% score I guess it's almost 100% chance of me missing it.. or go above the timelimit for a full score.

Can I tell the loader to only give me sabots?

Thanks in advance.. even if you just tell me to rtfm

• Members

You probably forgot to index the proper ammunition type. Too low usually means you have sabot ammunition indexed with its very flat trajectory (high speed, very little air drag) while the commander ordered HEAT or MPAT (much slower, more drag). This requires more superelevation which the computer will apply if you index the proper type (Del or Home key, respectively).

I were trying it out on the range, and dyn.lead just stops the following, what have I missed are there some ninja moves that I'm not aware of?

+a question about getting 100% on the shooting range: How the heck do you make it? I'm at 95% (since 2011! (haven't played it much lately))

Always when it seems to go my way, it loads up a heat for the last fast tank= 90% chance of me missing it.. well since I'm still at 95% score I guess it's almost 100% chance of me missing it.. or go above the timelimit for a full score.

Can I tell the loader to only give me sabots?

Thanks in advance.. even if you just tell me to rtfm

also gunnery techniques are important here.

your tank enemy tank

stationary to stationary- Lase, dump, fire

stationary to moving- which is the case on the range-lase, track, lase, fire

moving to moving- lase, track, lase, fire

moving to stationary- lase, track, lase, fire

troops are a little different-

lase, dump, fire-any situation

On a moving target come in from behind the target and track center mass of the target.

Also look at the ammunition up in the upper right hand corner. Ssnake has brief you about the ammo selects.You don't have to dump your lead in the SEP, the lead will continually update every 0.3 seconds until palm switches are released. These techniques is what I use and I score 100% on the gunnery range. Also watch your range distance on the second lase.

Hmm. You sure you don't need to dump lead in exactly the same situations as on the M1A1? It is only the head mirror that is driven differently, the FCS lead calculations are otherwise the same.

On the Leopard you should cease applying dynamic lead between engagements to avoid corrupting a track with a slew-rate input, and the same should apply to the M1A2 (except by default dynamic lead is "always" applied and needs to be 'dumped' rather than applied as needed). (The Leopard has palm switches and a separate lead button, the M1 series has lead applied with the palm switch, on calculation of a FCS solution, but which can be dumped by releasing the gun control after the calculation is done).

Hmm. You sure you don't need to dump lead in exactly the same situations as on the M1A1? It is only the head mirror that is driven differently, the FCS lead calculations are otherwise the same.

On the Leopard you should cease applying dynamic lead between engagements to avoid corrupting a track with a slew-rate input, and the same should apply to the M1A2 (except by default dynamic lead is "always" applied and needs to be 'dumped' rather than applied as needed). (The Leopard has palm switches and a separate lead button, the M1 series has lead applied with the palm switch, on calculation of a FCS solution, but which can be dumped by releasing the gun control after the calculation is done).

On the M1A1 you have to dump. The M1A1 has the SAHA, the M1A2 SEP has the DAHA. And no you can keep the last Ballistic Solution until you lase again on the SEP. After you lase again the IFCEU which is the Improved Fire Control Electronics Unit will send the new information for the solution to the Turret Mission Processing Unit, which there it is stored and Calculated. No corruption happens here due high rate of calculations and all the signals being sent to the IFCEU and then to the TMPU. Also when gunner's handles and CCHA are centered, IFCEU automatically sets lead to zero.

Still sounds wrong. Dual Axis or Single axis merely reflects how the reticle is disturbed within the sight FOV, but the inputs are still derived from the same rate sensors.

There is less feedback from the displaced reticle and a slight tendency to chase it, but I don't see that the necessary integrations and differentiations can be done any faster than on the Leopard, which *does* require that the gunnery solution is 'lost' between slewing and tracking, either by waiting out the solution settling time, or by 'ending' the solution.

DAHA is an improvement, sure, but engineering wise it doesn't really change anything in *how* the solution is determined, nor in the importance of not including high rate errors into a steady track.

M1A2SEP does not have a Dynamic Lead. It still has the original lasing system. lase inputs ballistic data to the PC for the proper ammo and shoot. no need for leading the target. Lay center mass and fire. The only vehicles I can remember that has dynamic lead is the LEO2 and Challenger tracks.

It is *all* the same. The systems all take similar inputs of angles and angular rates, ranges and range rates and other sensor inputs (e.g. air temperature, wind, round temperature etc).

How the resulting lead calculation is applied varies slightly ~ some calculate a fixed FCS solution, others continually monitor the variables and update the lead dynamically as they change.

Within the vehicles of SB, the former case covers the Leopard AS1, ASLAV and similar vehicles, while the latter case covers all M1, Leopard 2 and many other vehicles.

The differences between Leopard 2, M1A1 and M1A2 are only in display of this result, and the minor detail of what controls are applied to impose it on the stabilisation system.

The M1A1 differs "obviously" as it has a single axis movement of the head mirror and a reticle that appears to "float" within the visual field in azimuth. The movement of the reticle with respect to the gun tube when invoking lead is identical for all three cases however.

The Leopard 2 has independent controls for driving the gun and applying the FCS calculated lead, while the M1A1 and M1A2 shares the palm switch for both duties. This is a relatively minor difference compared to the vast swath of identical functions. What is good practice with the M1A1 remains good practice with the other vehicles precisely *because* you can't see the impact of bad inputs to the quality of the tracking solution.

I personally find the M1A1 slightly easier to use than the Leopard 2 because I can see much more readily when I've screwed up the tracking or lasing.