How good do you have to be to join MP?

Pigmachine

How much do you have to be able to handle to join a MP game? Do you have to be able to run around with an entire battalion.. och can you just ask to roll along watching the action, and look around in a single Aslav-25, until you get a hand of the strategies and battle and planning?

I have just tried a few scenarios, and made myself comfy in just a few tanks, (with a particular love for the Aslav-25). I know I had the game since 2011, but haven't touched the mp yet, since I haven't found any mate to train with, since they don't like tanks, and don't like the price, and don't want to make a fool of myself publicly (yet).

Are there any newbie multiplayer games, with a decent coordinator?

How much do you have to be able to handle to join a MP game? Do you have to be able to run around with an entire battalion.. och can you just ask to roll along watching the action, and look around in a single Aslav-25, until you get a hand of the strategies and battle and planning?

I have just tried a few scenarios, and made myself comfy in just a few tanks, (with a particular love for the Aslav-25). I know I had the game since 2011, but haven't touched the mp yet, since I haven't found any mate to train with, since they don't like tanks, and don't like the price, and don't want to make a fool of myself publicly (yet).

Are there any newbie multiplayer games, with a decent coordinator?

You don't have to be very good, although you should complete all the tutorials for at least one vehicle. That will give you a general understanding of the sim and the UI solid enough that you don't have to ask basic questions of your very busy teammates.

You don't have to handle more than a single vehicle unless you want to. Just let your CO know that you are new, and I'm sure he will only assign you vehicles and tasks within your capability.

Thanks for the info.. will redo the tutorials when I have time.. and spend a little more time on the shooting range.

(I'm mostly stuck in the air in WWII in IL2:BoS)

But just rediscovered this gem, and thought I'd get my moneys worth sometime soon. (well I've gotten my moneys worth already by just huffing along and shooting stuff)

No, there is no "minimum entry standard", just tell people that you are new and they should tailor your role to suit.

I think most VUs are accommodating (I haven't worked with them all).

Based on you location I guess UK Armour or PzBtl 911 are your closest/most convenient options.

If you aren't doing things at around noon on a Thursday, your time, you can visit us too.

At least then you can employ the ASLAV in an Australian setting. :)

Edited by Gibsonm

I was asking myself this Q too. But is teamspeak a must or is ingame chatting more common?

This really seems like an excellent place to start my online gamingcareer. SB online seems to be in another dimension than SP.

I prefer to use Swedish Equipment, are there alot of online battles that utilises this?

I was asking myself this Q too. But is teamspeak a must or is ingame chatting more common?

TS is the accepted method of communication. Hit a button and relay some information by voice job done. Imagine trying to type and read in the heat of battle.....:c:

I prefer to use Swedish Equipment, are there alot of online battles that utilises this?

There is the Soviet VU which is all things Soviet... If there is not a Swedish one then create one :)

Regards

TS is preferred. If the issue is a spoken language barrier, let your CO know and he can probably find a position for you which does not require much in the way of "transmitting" (texting) on your part.

This really seems like an excellent place to start my online gamingcareer. SB online seems to be in another dimension than SP.

IMO, this is very true. I'm not a big fan of single player, because I just don't think the AI can adequately replace a human adversary. Additionally, for some reason, beating the AI -- even a very challenging AI -- just doesn't seem very satisfying to me.

So, my advice is don't let language issues and skill level deter you from at least trying multiplayer -- just drop in to the TGIF game (if you can stay up that late) and see how it goes. Or try one of the European virtual units.

CV90 appears frequently (but not necessarily the Swedish versions). Strv-122 appears only infrequently, but other Leo2A5 derivatives are common.

OF course, you can always create a multiplayer mission to your liking and submit it to the organizers for their approval and suggestions.

Ability is irrelevant, a familiarity with the user interface is very useful and a willingness to learn is essential.

and TS is, as said above the standard form of communication and although you can join in without full voice comms, it does make things much easier if you have a mic and can talk online.

How much do you have to be able to handle to join a MP game?

You're probably not qualified to play online unless you can reliably get 100% in the tank range with the Lemur AGL. :twisted:

CAUTION: This statement has not been evaluated by the FDA. Contact a doctor and/or psychologist before embarking on an extended Lemur AGL tank range session. Side effects may include: Loss of hair, fist sized holes in monitors, snapped joysticks, worn-out escape keys, and crushed dongles.

You're probably not qualified to play online unless you can reliably get 100% in the tank range with the Lemur AGL. :twisted:

I've watched a few of your TGIF youtube videos, they were really nice, and I learned quite a lot from them.

Thanks for them!

I've watched a few of your TGIF youtube videos, they were really nice, and I learned quite a lot from them.

Thanks for them!

You will learn much more and much faster by joining a virtual unit and playing online than you ever will practicing on your own. That's assuming that the members of the VU you join are friendly, patient, and supportive of newbies. Most are, I believe. It's certainly something that UK Armour prides itself in, and there have been some nice comments posted on this forum by UKA recruits.

You will learn much more and much faster by joining a virtual unit and playing online than you ever will practicing on your own. That's assuming that the members of the VU you join are friendly, patient, and supportive of newbies. Most are, I believe. It's certainly something that UK Armour prides itself in, and there have been some nice comments posted on this forum by UKA recruits.

I agree with Tjay. I'm new here as well Pigmachine, played with SB only for about a week. I had two TGIF multi-player sessions so far and I have to say I had a blast! Everyone I met on-line was very friendly and patient with me. Thank You Rotar for your help explaining to me how the "lasing" works (thank you to others as well, sorry don't remember all the names). Finally managed to get 90% in Leo2 in Target Range! (before that my score was 45% LOL!).

Well my English is pretty good but I´m a bit rusty on the strictly military vocabulary. But maybe it´s a more common speech that you use or are you "speaking" like a real military unit does?

We do keep things professional in UKA,When in game

But its more simplistic then some other virtual units.

If you do come along, Remember the golden rule if something goes wrong blame the AI I Have been doing it for years.LoL

When I started playing online back in 2001 I got no help. I got slaughtered mercilessly, at every turn. People stood back and let Me make every mistake possible then crushed Me with little or no input to help after the fact. It was painful. I got sick of it and put the time in to get better. Pain+time, SB natural selection at work.

When I started playing online back in 2001 I got no help. I got slaughtered mercilessly, at every turn. People stood back and let Me make every mistake possible then crushed Me with little or no input to help after the fact. It was painful. I got sick of it and put the time in to get better. Pain+time, SB natural selection at work.

Luckily this was NOT my experience. I got lots of help, advice and encouragement. I joined the "UK Armour" VU for online play and am now a regular. I join the guys 3 times a week :)

Pop in to Teamspeak. The Steelbeasts info for TS is on the front : ip: 216.22.24.158 port:9987

Edited by Asid
added TS server info

We do keep things professional in UKA,When in game

But its more simplistic then some other virtual units.

If you do come along, Remember the golden rule if something goes wrong blame the AI I Have been doing it for years.LoL

Well it depends what you mean by professional Marko ;)

In UKA we are 95% non military and as such, communication is basic and to the point during a mission. It does not stick to military protocol but we do try a bit (and I think the military guys who game with us find some of our attempts amusing). It is very easy to learn.

I think the basic theme of this thread is that SB online is awesome and if the only thing stopping you from joining in is downloading TS3 and getting a $10 headset then shame on you!!!

Well my English is pretty good but I´m a bit rusty on the strictly military vocabulary. But maybe it´s a more common speech that you use or are you "speaking" like a real military unit does?

User "Garry Owen" has an excellent outline of Steel Beasts-appropriate combat net radio communications here: Garry Owen's site. Another good summary here: See section on radio procedures

(Sorry for plugging UO again :) )

As people have noted, not all VUs use strict radio procedures, and TGIF certainly does not.

Communications protocols vary from VU to VU. I know from experience in some big MP campaigns that some make no attempt to use 'proper' radio procedure, simply using player nicknames and conducting 'chat like' conversations, even when issuing and acknowledging orders. Others are a stickler for correct RT procedure at all times.

FWIW, in UK Armour we try to use callsigns and roughly correct radio procedure most of the time (the basics are easy to pickup), but if someone needs to ask a question or make a comment that wouldn't occur in real life - such as 'My game has just locked up!' - we prefix it by saying 'Hats off....' and revert to nicknames. But that's just our way of doing things that has evolved over the past three years.